Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Crossing GAI 10 to PSA 10?

Any chance? Has anyone ever successfully tried it? I'm far from an expert on grading or grading serives, but I know they don't have the best reputation. I appreciate any and all opinions.

Thanks
Craig

*Not mine. Just got curious when I came across the card.

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    you'd have to crack it first.
    If I was buying that card I'd value it at about PSA 7. There was a time when they were good (Mike Baker was in charge at PSA before leaving and forming GAI ) but there were issues.
    At this point it's effectively 5 years minimum after GAI's demise, you have to ask yourself why is any given card in their holder? There are legit answers, but more often than not the answer is because it won't go into a PSA or SGC holder even at 2 grades lower.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have Doublestriker Call Demian and ask!
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Three scenarios here:
      The card is graded accurately. It = PSA 10. Odds <5%
        The card is overgraded. Would likely cross to PSA 8 or PSA 9 if cracked and resubmitted. Depends heavily on when submitted, etc. Odds ~40%
          The card is whacked -- whether sheet cut, trimmed, damaged or something else, and the last owner believed it was more valuable in GAI 10 than in any comparable PSA grade that he could reasonably expect upon submission. Odds ~55%

M
          I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
        • Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
          I really appreciate the info everyone!

Thanks
          Craig
        • This is only one example, so I doubt much credence can be put forward. Here about a year ago I acquired a higher end 1962 card in a GAI 7 holder. I didn't want the holder, I bought the card. So, I decided to crack it out and and sub it raw to PSA. It came back a 7. By this time my curiosity was aroused so I cracked it out again and sub'ed it raw to SGC. It came back an 84 (7). Just one sample, don't know how much creditability you want to put into it.
        • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
          Am I correct that the "First Graded" label applied by GAI was only for the first time the graded that card from that set, and not the first time they assigned that grade to that card? If so, this being the first 1977 Topps #473 graded by GAI, there's a decent chance it was graded in GAI's first year. Anyone know if their grading was more strict/reputable early on?

As for why anyone would go with GAI, I recall when GAI first got started. They made a pretty compelling pitch to give them a chance and were getting a fair amount of business.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
        • AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
          Yes that was the 1st one they ever graded of that card so probably closer to being a legit 10 then something from later on would be.
        • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
          From the scan that card looks very strong to me.
        • Last year I bought a GAI 9 George Brett Topps Mini rookie card. I cracked it out of the
          slab and it came back PSA 8.5. I got a good deal on the price (ebay) on the card so I
          was okay with the 8.5.
        • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Am I correct that the "First Graded" label applied by GAI was only for the first time the graded that card from that set, and not the first time they assigned that grade to that card? >>

It means it's the first time they assigned that specific grade to that specific card. So, there's also a 77 Dawson GAI 9.5 1st graded, a 77 Dawson GAI 9 1st graded, etc.
          My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
        • It means it's the first time they assigned that specific grade to that specific card. So, there's also a 77 Dawson GAI 9.5 1st graded, a 77 Dawson GAI 9 1st graded, etc.

Correct.

BTW, is the smudge always prevalent on this card on Gene Richards (Gene)?
          A 10 by GAI was suppose to be equivalent to pristine. Um, really?
          At least the card fits nicely within the black insert with no large gaps which is a pretty good sign
          that its not trimmed.
        • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
          That card looks very nice from here. Worth a gamble on crackout IMO. Let the crew here know how it pans out and good luck!
        • Looks like a great card! Good luck whatever you decide!
        • I have watched that card for some time on eBay...his price, even when discounted, was insane....like $4,000. I see he has lowered expectations.

Now, to a success story:

I purchased a 1983 OPC Ryne Sandberg GAI 9.5 Gem mint for $99.99. I cracked it out of the case, subbed to PSA, and received a PSA 10 Gem Mint. A total gamble that payed off. It was in the same generation flip as the Dawson. Believe me, I have thought about doing it again, but would only be willing to risk $300 on the GAI Dawson.

Good Luck!

Mike
        • I am one of the few proponents on the boards for GAI 1st graded cards. Incredible value if you find the old slabs with 1st graded designation. I've cracked out close to 50 1st graded GAI slabs over the years, all old slabs. Granted, I'm extremely selective with which cards I go after and will stalk the card/study the he** out of it...In every case they either crossed at the same grade or higher for me.

I would take a shot on that Dawson in a heartbeat...

Edit to add: But not at $1350...more like $300 like someone else said...
          Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)