Home Precious Metals
Options

Watch Out: ASE Premium Can Disappear

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
In this article: Article Linky, it describes the possiblity of lowered premiums on ASE's because of the shear number minted...

In the present market, silver Eagle buyers are paying a premium over silver value to obtain these silver Eagles. Unless buyers have a lot of experience, they might not be aware of the possibility that the premium they are paying can decline or disappear, which might cost them some of their gains when they go to sell.

Timing is everything.

COA

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I've basically stopped buying silver maples. Never was into stacking Eagles. IMO the premium just isn't worth it, especially with the ongoing milkspot issues.

10 oz bars and 1 oz bars/rounds have been my staple.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    10 oz bars and 1 oz bars/rounds have been my staple
    image Don't for get my first true .999 silver love, 5 oz'ers image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Ugh, I hate not being able to pass on a deal. Added another 1 kilo bar to the stack. They're such a goofy size (32.15 troy oz) but the price has been right on each and ever one I've bought so I guess I can't complain!
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not pay a premium for ASE's !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>10 oz bars and 1 oz bars/rounds have been my staple
    image Don't for get my first true .999 silver love, 5 oz'ers image >>

not a bad idea image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking strictly from a physical silver position and not viewing them as collector coins:

Silver eagles will continue to have the highest premium as long as they remain the most desirable form of silver to stack. I do not see this changing as long as the silver bull market trend continues. Premium will never "disappear" as long as physical is more desirable than paper. Remember, spot price is based on paper and the premium is what buyers are willing to pay over spot for a particular physical product.

Any declines in ASE premiums will be met equally or greater with less demanded forms of physical and it will be strictly because sellers have come to outnumber buyers. One must consider why a buyer will pay more for an ASE and will those reasons become even more important to buyers should silver continue to rise in price.

Milkspotting doesn't affect the silver weight (stacker value) of an ASE any more than does tarnish on a silver bar.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Premiums on anything can disappear just ask the people selling jewelry at the local we buy gold place what they paid for their diamond ring.

Its truly a sad moment when a guy realizes the ring he paid $4000 for is worth 80$ as scrap after the store owner gets done smashing the pathetic little diamonds out of it with a hammer

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Think there is much enhanced value in offering an entire ASE set in a Dansco album?
    COA
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any declines in ASE premiums will be met equally or greater with less demanded forms of physical and it will be strictly because sellers have come to outnumber buyers. >>

How true

Same holds true for the silver PAMP bars, whose premium is even greater than the ASE's. As long as the demand for both products remains high, so will the premiums.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Think there is much enhanced value in offering an entire ASE set in a Dansco album? >>

Yes, if selling to a collector.

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>

<< <i>Think there is much enhanced value in offering an entire ASE set in a Dansco album? >>

Yes, if selling to a collector. >>

To a lazy collector...image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I do not think a Dansco adds much if any value to ASEs.
    JMHO.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    They were saying that when silver was $4.75 and eagles were $6.00.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Best way to get a premium from a Dansco filled with ASE is to remove the ASEs and sell the album for 15 or so by itself. Sometimes Ii can get premiums for the whitman albums with ASEs though. Because many times they come with nicely toned ASEs.
  • Options

<< <i>They were saying that when silver was $4.75 and eagles were $6.00. >>

They have declined from that quite a bit. Percentage wise that's a 25% premium at this point its closer to 10% while in dollar terms its increased to 3$

At the point when silver was 4.75 do you remember what generic rounds were selling for? If you could get generic at spot then you are in a huge hole today by buying eagles back then .

Say you bought 1000 of them for $6000 and sold them today for $33,000 you made $27,000 which sounds ok until you do the math on the generic

$6000 spent on generic rounds would get you 1263 ounces @4.75 each even selling them back of spot at $30 each today would net $37895 which put an extra $4895 in your wallet.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They were saying that when silver was $4.75 and eagles were $6.00. >>

They have declined from that quite a bit. Percentage wise that's a 25% premium at this point its closer to 10% while in dollar terms its increased to 3$

At the point when silver was 4.75 do you remember what generic rounds were selling for? If you could get generic at spot then you are in a huge hole today by buying eagles back then .

Say you bought 1000 of them for $6000 and sold them today for $33,000 you made $27,000 which sounds ok until you do the math on the generic

$6000 spent on generic rounds would get you 1263 ounces @4.75 each even selling them back of spot at $30 each today would net $37895 which put an extra $4895 in your wallet. >>

As far as I can remember, generics have never sold at only spot at any time. If my memory serves me correctly...anywhere from $.25 - $.50+ above spot. It could have been more. Art Bars sold at a substantial overinflated premiums during their heydays.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    IMO, the premium will not disappear. This is because one of the main reasons for the premium is not just that they are the most collected silver bullion coin. It is also because they are the most popular US MINTED silver bullion coin. Silver Eagles are one of the only silver coins that I have not been seeing major counterfeit problems with over the last couple of years. I think this is because they are backed by the US Govt, and therefore the Secret Service and no one wants to mess with those guys. I have seen tons of pics of fake Maples, Prospectors, etc.. but not so for silver eagles.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    And yet somehow, I wouldn't mind being in that mathematical hole today with a couple green monster boxes.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    "I think this is because they are backed by the US Govt, and therefore the Secret Service and no one wants to mess with those guys." joefro.

Good point. Take care. jws
  • Options

The premium's percentage is much more important than its dollar value when you are talking about a large number items in a rising market

If you are a long term stacker who expects prices to go up then the premium works against you because it will always fall as a percentage of spot price . It hurts you in 2 ways , it costs you in ounces you could have purchased and because of inflation the dollars purchasing power is decreasing so even if you get it back exactly its usefulness will be lower.

The higher the price goes the more you will want to cry over the extra ounces you should have bought image

I did find an area where premiums sort of helped me. Back when silver was above 40 I purchased a good sized lot of burnished uncirculated ASE's for around 52$ apiece and I have been dumping them on ebay for almost exactly that price one at a time over the last few months. The 2008w's were selling for 2x spot almost when silver was 27 ish. That's a great sale in my book and it was pure dumb luck on my part .

If you want a laugh post a 2008 w with only a picture of the front on the listing and count how many minutes it takes to get a question from a buyer asking for you to email a picture of the reverse. image

They never ask you to add a pic of the reverse to the listing, they always want you to email it to them. image

This works with ASE proofs very well also , you can find them in pawn shops and we buy gold places in the 35$ range and flip them on ebay for $60+ buy nows all day long.

• Options

<< <i>I did find an area where premiums sort of helped me. Back when silver was above 40 I purchased a good sized lot of burnished uncirculated ASE's for around 52$ apiece and I have been dumping them on ebay for almost exactly that price one at a time over the last few months. >>

Sounds like you've made a good case for ASE premiums being worth the extra money.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I did find an area where premiums sort of helped me. Back when silver was above 40 I purchased a good sized lot of burnished uncirculated ASE's for around 52$ apiece and I have been dumping them on ebay for almost exactly that price one at a time over the last few months. >>

Sounds like you've made a good case for ASE premiums being worth the extra money. >>

Well those weren't regular ASE's . I only bought them because at the time I had just picked up a book that identified the 2006w as a potential good buy. I stumbled over a buy now that was for 32 mixed 2006w 2007w and 2008w and took a chance.

It hasn't been all roses incidentally as some of the coins had incomplete packaging which cuts into the sale price. I'm down to the last 2 2006w's that were missing the cheesy drawstring bags. Those bags are worth about $20 each off the sale price image

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as more are minted the premium could shrink, but part of the premium is based upon trust of the content influencing demand for it over generics or even name brands.

would premiums on commonly available name brand bars and pours also be expected to shink in their scenario (lots of sought after silver available)???

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

If we are talking about ASE premiums lets stick to the bullion . People would pay nearly $50 for a 1996 ASE back when silver was in the $18-20 range. Now those are available for $40 or so without looking too hard. The guy that paid $50 , that guy is crying because he watched his key date get cheaper as spot went up.

Think about this too if they make 30 million ASE's in 2012 would you rather pay $33 for a 2012 or $33 for a 1994 ? There is no premium to speak of on the 1994 now but you can be sure that if silver drops to 6$ no one will be looking very hard for a 2012 they will be everywhere.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Premium = guaranteed diminished return.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Hogwash. It's a premium you pay for a more desired item that is returned to you when someone who desires your item more buys it from you. It is a measure of desirability.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes the premium helps you, sometimes it hurts you. Much of it depends on price & availability. It also depends on what that particular dealer has going on at the time.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Hogwash. It's a premium you pay for a more desired item that is returned to you when someone who desires your item more buys it from you. It is a measure of desirability. >>

Desirability changes over time. A great location today may not be tomorrow. Gold may have proven its desirability over the last 5000 years (since organized religion), yet it is still subject to massive swings in a persons lifetime.

Premiums can, and often do, kill.

• Options
    In the realm of my investment turkeys, ASE premiums are pretty far down the list.image
  • Options

<< <i>Hogwash. It's a premium you pay for a more desired item that is returned to you when someone who desires your item more buys it from you. It is a measure of desirability. >>

<< <i>Desirability changes over time. >>

And that is why ASE premiums have increased in dollar terms over the years.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    1. The American Silver Eagle is the finest 100% pure silver coin on Earth.

2. When (not if) the fiat US Dollar collapses, America will need a new currency. Chances are during a sudden currency crisis the Government will be as impotent as they are now. The new currency could be ASE's.

3. As such I would expect the Premiums for ASE's will rise, not fall in my opinion.
  • Options
    Fools.

• Options

<< <i>1. The American Silver Eagle is the finest 100% pure silver coin on Earth. >>

Since when ? I didnt realise Canada had stopped minting maples.

• Options
    premiums are low compared to what they will be when the paper market implodes.

• Options
    "Fools", you say?

I've paid premiums for limited mintage Mint Bullion issues for quite a few years now. Sometimes it really ticked me off that the premiums could be anywhere from 15% to 35% or even more.

However, my experience since the 1995-W ASE - is that the Mint really doesn't care about collectors. To that end, they will milk their customers for everything that they can squeeze outa' you.

That being the case, the worse it tends to stink, the more intrigued I am with the offering. If nobody else is buying because its so screwed up, that's when I want to have a pile of cash ready to buy. Paying the Mint's outrageous premiums has been very good to me

This year is no exception, especially with the slow economy sales are down across the board. You are a really bad shot this year if you can't pick a winner.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Oh Ye of little faith.image

(Posted AFTER the FOLLOWING post). Crazy place, this is.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    You are a really bad shot this year if you can't pick a winner.

Saved for posterity. image

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1. The American Silver Eagle is the finest 100% pure silver coin on Earth. >>

Since when ? I didnt realise Canada had stopped minting maples. >>

Copy of the American one.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Copy of the American one. >>

I think the silver maple was a copy of the gold maple , which came out in 1979
  • Options
    I have a source @$32 in the current spot price for AESs, about as good as it gets. Premium has shrunk, though I know sellers saying they are moving product @$40. On proof SEs with BOA, premiums dropped on those because mint is offering those at a few bucks over $50.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    $32 each, please PM your source.... I will buy some. Goldmart has the be price so far

20 coin tube for $687 plus $16 shipping.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    Sold 2 rolls of ASE's at the Local Coin Show, @ $33.00 / OZ,
    That's ~ $1.26 above spot ($31.74 bid).

The premium is still alive and kicking, on ASE's.

_Reset
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Copy of the American one. >>

In what way is it a copy of an American silver eagle ? A Canadian silver maple is .9999 pure as opposed to the ASE @ .999 which would make the Canadian maple the finest silver bullion coin on the planet , the ASE being an also ran at .999
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was paying the premium for the 20 coin ASE tubes and it was worth it for me, I gained some piece of mind. Whenever I have sold or traded they have went quickly, you rarely have someone question the ASE's. I understood from the beginning I was losing a little profit to be on the safe side. I would hate to sell a large bar years from now and find out it had been counterfitted.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    This is a very good place for this thread. If this was put onto the US Coin Forum, then I would say that collectors pay premiums all the time, many times face value, say, for the price of 1c. I will continue to buy one new ASE for each mint and year they are produced.
    Paul
  • Options

Who is ready to back up the truck at this price?

seems a bit steep

$40 over spot what a bargain image

• Options
    Plus there are companies that have their ads in this month's periodicals like Scientific American that are offering 1/10 eagles at under $170, but it is a come-on special with limits of 10, but you get to pay with a credit card. I saw another ad from another company: $165 each 1/10oz eagle. I will call to see what their sells are today.