Home Precious Metals
Options

A cool toned silver bar worthy of its own thread,

at least I think so anyway. I was digging thru the vault and found this one. Honestly don't remember buying it, but it has toned very nicely I think.
I usually will clean silver, but I think i'm going to leave this one the way it is. image Cool fairly rare bar huh?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Sweeeet..... Yeah, let it age!
    COA
  • Options
    I/we live 30 min. from Crown Point. Like how it's made in Switzerland.

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    image bar Rich! image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    I like it.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind toned collector coins, but not Art Bars. Time to give yours a bath.

Common Valcambi produced bar, not much of a premium over melt.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>......not much of a premium over melt. >>

Not true. Wait until it's on the BST.imageimage

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Thats a great looking toner. Toned Bars and Rounds are the way to go. A nice set of toners is always very appealing.

Please don't give that a bath, there are plenty shiny blast white silver bars and rounds out there already.

The truly original toned bars and rounds are appreciated.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options

<< <i>Toned Bars and Rounds are the way to go. >>

Not so....they tarnish much quicker ( .999 FS ) than coins & the next shade of color will be an ugly deep purple or black.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Please don't give that a bath, there are plenty shiny blast white silver bars and rounds out there already.

Agreed. This toning makes it unique. What makes a brand new shiny bar unique? Nothing.

Not true. Wait until it's on the BST

This one is NFS here because most here wouldn't be willing to pay the premium it's worth in this state. Anything unique and cool gets sluffed off as common here anymore, so be it. Some of us know better and that's good enough for me. It was posted to share a cool bar, nothing more.
    This one goes in my "garbage" collection that is NFS. My new way of saying something is cool, unique and uncommon will be referred to as "garbage" going forward. image
  • Options

<< <i>Agreed. This toning makes it unique. What makes a brand new shiny bar unique? Nothing. >>

As the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," therefore, enjoy the bar while you can still identify it.
  • Options
    There is no way this bar could ever be restored to being bright and shiny ironically because of the toning, so why not appreciate it the current way it is?

Like I said earlier< I actually usually will attempt to clean .999 silver (not coins of course)...if it has a chance of being restored to an appealing state. This one clearly doesn't have that potential. By cleaning it would severely devalue it imo.
  • Options
    with 4 ozers selling for $2,000.00 - $3,500.00 maybe PCGS & Ngc will start gradinf and encapsulating them, that may stop or severely reduce the toning process.

If one dwsires to stop or severely limit it now, you can easily put it in an air tight non pvc flip or a couple standard non pvc flips and it will do fine for another 40 years or more.

I've had all brands of bars for years and the ones that are pretty much sealed there is no toning. Now a raw one laying out, or in a wood or cardboard box, or wrapped in papper thats another story.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Ironic how we pay extra for rainbow-toned coins, yet go out of our way to keep bars white?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a somewhat attractive bar so I feel it should be left alone. That said, I doubt that toning will add any value to that bars. As dark as that toning is we can assume it has etched into the bar's surfaces and that dipping it will leave you with dull and lifeless surfaces

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Ironic how we pay extra for rainbow-toned coins, yet go out of our way to keep bars white? >>

Because 99% of the Art bar collectors, like their bars like new and the more recent ones, (last 10 years or so) are issued in a PL finish. With bullion bars, who gives a rts ars.
    Also, the ART Bar fad is no more than 50 years old, prior to the 60's, most bars were considered bullion bars. You can thank the The Foster Company to start the Art Bar craze in the middle 60's.
  • Options
    As dark as that toning is we can assume it has etched into the bar's surfaces and that dipping it will leave you with dull and lifeless surfaces

Yep, exactly my point of why not to clean it, and do as Numbers suggested and put it in an airtite.
  • Options

<< <i>As dark as that toning is we can assume it has etched into the bar's surfaces and that dipping it will leave you with dull and lifeless surfaces

Yep, exactly my point of why not to clean it, and do as Numbers suggested and put it in an airtite. >>

I've had worse bars where TarnX removed the crud with one soaked cotton ball, making the bar look like new.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ironic how we pay extra for rainbow-toned coins, yet go out of our way to keep bars white? >>

Because 99% of the Art bar collectors, like their bars like new and the more recent ones, (last 10 years or so) are issued in a PL finish. With bullion bars, who gives a rts ars.
    Also, the ART Bar fad is no more than 50 years old, prior to the 60's, most bars were considered bullion bars. You can thank the The Foster Company to start the Art Bar craze in the middle 60's. >>

I agree with this.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options

<< <i>That is a somewhat attractive bar so I feel it should be left alone. That said, I doubt that toning will add any value to that bars. As dark as that toning is we can assume it has etched into the bar's surfaces and that dipping it will leave you with dull and lifeless surfaces >>

As a silver art bar collector, I do not mind some toning on some of my bars. However, if there is too much toning to the point that it makes the bar dark, then I will get it cleaned (dipped). As far as I am concerned, toning on a rare silver art bar or any silver art bar for that matter does not affect the value that it goes for on ebay based on what I have observed in the past. There are varying opinions on this issue.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options

<< <i>
    This one clearly doesn't have that potential. By cleaning it would severely devalue it imo. >>

It depends on the silver art bar. For example, I have seen an "ugly-looking" appearance of a particular bar fetch for nearly the same amount of the "brilliant finish" of that same bar. Rarity value of a silver art bar as well as the current demand for that particular one are the main factors when it comes to what winning bid (or BIN sale price) that it will get on ebay.
  • Options

<< <i>As dark as that toning is we can assume it has etched into the bar's surfaces and that dipping it will leave you with dull and lifeless surfaces

Yep, exactly my point of why not to clean it, and do as Numbers suggested and put it in an airtite. >>

Putting a rare bar or any bar that you want to keep in its present condition in an airtite is a good idea and I agree you and Numbers on this. I put a majority of the rare silver art bars that I have in an airtite to preserve its condition. The flaps work well too IMO, however, toning might develop on the exposed corners of the bars in that flap but that is not a big deal to me.

• Options

<< <i>Please don't give that a bath, there are plenty shiny blast white silver bars and rounds out there already.

Agreed. This toning makes it unique. What makes a brand new shiny bar unique? Nothing.

Not true. Wait until it's on the BST

This one is NFS here because most here wouldn't be willing to pay the premium it's worth in this state. Anything unique and cool gets sluffed off as common here anymore, so be it. Some of us know better and that's good enough for me. It was posted to share a cool bar, nothing more.
    This one goes in my "garbage" collection that is NFS. My new way of saying something is cool, unique and uncommon will be referred to as "garbage" going forward. image >>

IMO the Ebay marketplace determines the value of silver art bars and that is close to a free marketplace that you can get in terms of valuing them. People who bought a silver art bar for only .999 generic premiums and who realize what they have and what it will bring on ebay will get rewarded with a nice profit margin on it if they decide to sell it.