Home Sports Talk
Options

Melky probably won't back in to the NL batting championship.

WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
He has 501 plate appearances, the only way he could is if the Giants play 161
games (or less) in which he would need 499. 3.1 is needed per games your team plays
to qualify. I wonder if the timing had anything to do with this or it was simply coincidence?

Good for you.

Comments

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He has 501 plate appearances, the only way he could is if the Giants play 161
    games (or less) in which he would need 499. 3.1 is needed per games your team plays
    to qualify. I wonder if the timing had anything to do with this or it was simply coincidence? >>

No, he is 1 plate appearance short, no matter how many games the Giants play. For whatever reason, it goes by scheduled games. 502 PAs are needed. HOWEVER, there is a "hitless at-bats rule". If 1 hitless at-bat still gives him the highest batting average, then he wins the batting title.

EDIT: Tony Gwynn won the batting title in 1996 despite only having 498 PAs. He was 4 short, but 4 hitless ABs still gave him the lead, so he won the batting title.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

MLB I stand corrected, I see now that it's 'scheduled' games according to MLB

Good for you.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Melky will win it...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If MLB had any balls, they'd render him ineligible for any batting crown.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    If he does win, he might be 1/2 the answer to a trivia question 30 years from now:

Name the players who won the batting title in the same year in the NL and AL who had the same last name?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.