Home Precious Metals
Options

Mr. Rogers (& Lance) say buy farmland........

MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Comments

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy farmland, learn to farm and purchase the necessary equipment? Thats not likely for me.

I will stick with buying more gold and silver.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, go ag. I've heard that you can't eat gold. The corollary to that is "people gotta eat!". What ever is happening with fiat or interest rates or home prices is secondary, people still gotta eat...all over de world.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, go ag. I've heard that you can't eat gold. The corollary to that is "people gotta eat!". What ever is happening with fiat or interest rates or home prices is secondary, people still gotta eat...all over de world. >>

They also need to drink. And he who controls the water will be King.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    You rent it out for people to actually work the land. Also, there are USDA programs that can be looked into as well.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy farmland, learn to farm and purchase the necessary equipment? Thats not likely for me.

I will stick with buying more gold and silver. >>

You collect that Gold & Silver, if a SHTF event happens I will sell you all the cattle you want!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you plan on going into business the govt will tell you what to plant and raise, what price you can accept, and the taxes that are due. If there's any money left over you can plan
    for a crop the following year.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone should at least grow a garden with heirloom seeds. It might prove to be a valuable skill someday.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Plan to be living my retirement with a few acres of home farmland growing my own stuff, and a bit more for exchange with others to live on.
    COA
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Natural gas is becoming a big thing in our area. They pay well to drill under you and estimate it to last around 20 years just in the first round.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Don't count your chickens on the natural gas drilling. Here in Arkansas, it was supposed to last 20-30 years. After about 6, drilling and production has dropped dramatically. It was being propelled by the promise of "fracking" and the high price of natural gas. Now the price of gas has dropped by more than half so it's no longer economically feasible.
    ---Lots of jobs leaving.
    ---Lots of infrastructure damage from increased traffic and no one to pay for it.
    ---Unknown consequences of the "fracking" materials.

If you are landowner, take your signing money but don't expect those royalties to fund your golden years.

JWISC.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest difference between precious metals vs. farmland is that, with farmland you can't really say, "what farmland?"
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "The biggest difference between precious metals vs. farmland is that, with farmland you can't really say, "what farmland?""

And you can't say you lost them in a boating accident either.
  • Options
    And you can't say you lost them in a boating accident either.

Lol, I was thinking of that just before I read your post.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's also a little tougher to subdivide and sell some farmland (not to mention hand it over or mail it) than it is with gold, silver, or platinum

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I've been there, done that. I've worked for farmers @$75/a week and up with free room and board. I've worked for piece rate, i.e., by the pound of veggies picked, rows weeded, boxes of blueberries raked (30# boxes@$2 per box). I doubt Rogers has in his adult life spent much time as a farmer but more ridden his fame as a former associate of the controversial Mr. Soros' Quantum Fund as well as a guru for the hard asset community. The problem with making recommendations for others whether his suggestion people take up Mandarin Chinese as a career advantage or farming is both are tremendously tough work and most of the people he is preaching to are libertarian individualists who are not terribly good with building teams of co-workers to make such dreams a reality.
  • Options

<< <i>I've been there, done that. I've worked for farmers @$75/a week and up with free room and board. I've worked for piece rate, i.e., by the pound of veggies picked, rows weeded, boxes of blueberries raked (30# boxes@$2 per box). I doubt Rogers has in his adult life spent much time as a farmer but more ridden his fame as a former associate of the controversial Mr. Soros' Quantum Fund as well as a guru for the hard asset community. The problem with making recommendations for others whether his suggestion people take up Mandarin Chinese as a career advantage or farming is both are tremendously tough work and most of the people he is preaching to are libertarian individualists who are not terribly good with building teams of co-workers to make such dreams a reality. >>

great, practical quote for the would-be Gentleman Farmer with dreams of "growing his own food" and "standing his ground" rather than the flexibility PMs provide for packing up your family with whatever Stuff the situation and notification of SHTF timeframe allows, and simply moving and using your gold to set up somewhere that it's nicer.

Some farmland is also great for millionaires with diversified portfolios of asset classes, but not very realistic for the average individual or family to "invest in some farmland" to protect against hyperinflation or actual social or environmental Armageddon

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah, go ag. I've heard that you can't eat gold. The corollary to that is "people gotta eat!". What ever is happening with fiat or interest rates or home prices is secondary, people still gotta eat...all over de world. >>

They also need to drink. And he who controls the water will be King. >>

Amen to that. Except I think the term will be "dictator".
  • Options
  • Options
    I decided to panic today before the Mint raised their prices. I bought some gold and then they raised their prices. Whew! Just under the wire.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Way to time it Jmski!

More fuel...
  • Options

<< <i>Natural gas is becoming a big thing in our area. They pay well to drill under you and estimate it to last around 20 years just in the first round.
    image >>

That There is Oklahoma Land If I ever Seen It. They have one of the prettiest well groomed rights of way in the whole USA.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options

That There is Oklahoma Land If I ever Seen It. They have one of the prettiest well groomed rights of way in the whole USA. >>

Hmm. I was thinking it was PA or NYS.
  • Options
    As (caveat) day-tradrer Gartman says, if you can drop it on your foot and it hurts, I'll buy it. Those hay bales often hurt.

BTW, Lance is today, always was, and will remain The Man. El Sheriff.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    The regional play may last 20 years. Few wells do, if any. Talk like that is mainly to separate investment bankers from their money.

Many wells last only 18 months. Some produce years. Some develop problems and never pay a dime. It is great folly for royalty-holders to assume that the first or 2nd month's check will keep coming in like amounts for year/decades.

We've had many phone calls from irate people, convinced we are cheating them. No, the shale gas wells decline by 40 or 60% in the first 6 months. People get that first royalty check and assume it's like the lottery - will pay the same for 20 years. They don't know when the well was shut in for repairs, when the state requires it to be shut in, or if it just plain sucks. Then toss a 75% decline in natural gas price, on top of that. People assume wrongly, that the money will flow for 20 years. Hope they don't quit their jobs - like the old E-Trade commercial...
  • Options
    People get that first PRECIOUS METALS PROFIT, too, and assume it's like the lottery - will pay the same for 20 years. ... . People assume wrongly, that the money will flow for 20 years. Hope they don't quit their jobs - "... Past performance is not a guarantee of future results"

good post fishcooker

• Options
    I guess it matters how much property you own that would give you a different opinion on whether the gas business is a bust or boom. It should also be realized that most people in the area didn’t invest in property here thinking the gas companies were coming to drop money in their lap. The drilling/gas company leased our acreage at $5,500.00 per acre that we initially paid $1,200 for. They don’t own the property so we are free to sell it if we see fit (including or excluding our interest in the gas royalties). As I told my wife, we have the money so why should we care if they come back for the gas or not? They wanted a right of way to lay pipeline across our property and they were turned down. We don’t have an interest in if the well lasts two days or two centuries but people using natural gas will appreciate low cost energy so they can use their money elsewhere. Many people in the drilling area are well aware of the royalty payments and aware that the information given to them from the drilling/gas companies is not always accurate. After all, there is information online about certain companies being accused of price fixing in Michigan to keep the leasing costs down and perceived accounting errors that the drilling/gas company refuse to address. There is also information about the gas companies settling lawsuits with people for their misdeeds so I can understand where the element of mistrust comes from.

You’re right about people being handed royalty checks that are large only to be blindsided by choked wells and dropping prices. Then you see those same people that were blindsided by the small(er) royalty check turn around and sell their interest to investors for 100s of thousands of dollars. As for infrastructure there has been 92 million dollars spent to upgrade 400 miles of roads and bridges in the area the company is focused on and I can tell you the roads have never been better in the area I drive. There’s good and bad in all of it depending on what end of the stick your on.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options

<< <i>That There is Oklahoma Land If I ever Seen It. They have one of the prettiest well groomed rights of way in the whole USA. >>

Hmm. I was thinking it was PA or NYS. >>

It very well could be, it just looked exactly like areas of Oklahoma that we drove through last year.

NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That There is Oklahoma Land If I ever Seen It. They have one of the prettiest well groomed rights of way in the whole USA. >>

Hmm. I was thinking it was PA or NYS. >>

It very well could be, it just looked exactly like areas of Oklahoma that we drove through last year. >>

Yep it's in Pennsylvania. NY still has a moratorium on fracking.

• Options
    Yay! I was born and lived in CNY for 28 years and used to travel from Syracuse to PA a lot. The landscape in those pics just looked familiar to me. I couldn't guess where exactly, just that it looked like what I used to travel.
    That lease payment is fantastic! The shale must be far more productive up there. They drilled one well in our area but nothing came of it.

to keep it on topic, we bought gold Eagles with our lease payment. image
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farmland around here in ND has proven a great investment. My family had come here in 1885 from Finland and started a small farm(2 brothers) under the homestead act. They diversified their income to last year round with turkeys, chickens, hogs, sheep, cattle, and the yearly crops. As many of the neighbors went belly up in the 30's my great grandparents bought up quite a bit of acrage. Back then possibly for $5-10 per acre now those land prices are $1200-1500 an acre.

However my dad never wanted me to farm so while I was gone for the summer (basic training) he sold off all the machinery and worked out contracts with his cousins and friends to farm the land and pay rent. I never have to work a farm again, yet I still reap the benifits of what my dad left me and my two siblings. We each collect about the average income for a North Dakota resident just off the rent money yearly. As I see it farmland isnt something you need to work yourself but have other peaple pay you to work the land for you. No need to own a million dollars in equipment to work that amount of acres and if I still wanted to I could take out my small FarmAll and work a few acres of sweet corn or soybeans if I wanted, but will it pay for itself, no, it would just for be my use.
  • Options

<< <i>Yay! I was born and lived in CNY for 28 years and used to travel from Syracuse to PA a lot. The landscape in those pics just looked familiar to me. I couldn't guess where exactly, just that it looked like what I used to travel.
    That lease payment is fantastic! The shale must be far more productive up there. They drilled one well in our area but nothing came of it.

to keep it on topic, we bought gold Eagles with our lease payment. image >>

Syracuse is roughly a 2.5 hour drive from us. There are 4 wells less than 1/4 mile apart from the one you see in the photo. The burn offs of the wells are the most interesting part to me - looks and sounds like a tree size blow torch in the field. and to keep it on topic we bought some Engelhard loafs and a few Lincolns with some of our lease money. image