Home Metal Detecting
Options

August 18, 2012: Long day of detecting - 5 silvers and some other neat things!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Detected from 9-6 today and boy am I tired! The day started very slowly and eventually things started to show.

Seemed forever before the first War Nickel showed. But it was a big relief! Soon got another war nickel. A bit later a deeper coin signal came up - turned out to be a 1926 merc - with color. Also got a 1944 merc during the hunt.

Sometime in the mix, got a pocket spill of two wheats, an 1890 IHC, and a 1907 v Nickel.

Also, got a dime/quarter signal sometime in the hunt, dug down but found a what looked like a dog tag... WTH? turns out it's a Sterling pendant for the United States Maritime Service. The one piece was glued on and came off in the hole, but found it! Will have to re-glue it.

Got a bunch of other neat things. Got a high pitched signal, and out came what looked maybe an outer shell for a door knob? Covered the hole and got another signal. This time the lid pops out. Looks like some kind of decorative case? Thought for a second it was silver, but maybe silver or gold plated originally. Pretty neat though. Any idea on age?

Sorry for the photos... they looked clearer when I took them.

Also got a neat medicine piece. It reads (at least the best I can tell): LYDIA E Pinkham's Vegetable Compound Herb Medicine Pills for Constipation Sanative Wash. Sounds like they would do more harm than good, haha.

Also got what I thought was my first gold watch, but alas, it's only 10k rolled gold - any way to separate the gold on this? wonder how much scrap value is, if any.

any idea what the oval thing is in the last pics? It has a hole on each side, almost like a pendant? Age?

Overall today got:

1890 IHC
19 wheat cents
2 older canadian cents - 1940, 1951
1907 V Nickel
1937 Buffalo Nickel
2 Wartime nickels - both 44-P
2 Mercs - 1926, 1944
Sterling U.S. Maritime Service charm
a cool box with lion cover
1980 2 "New Pence" whatever the heck country that's from

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... fantastic day....... excellent finds. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks Ricko, good seeing you back!

Went back out to the same general area today.

Got a 1941 Merc
    1939 Washington Quarter
    3 IHCs - 1884, 1906, 1908
    7 wheats - 1914, 1919, 1956, 1918, 1910, 1935, 1926
    1936 Buffalo

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. What type of areas do you hunt to find things like this?
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very interesting stuff pcgs. thats a good day for sure
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow item rich area, might have to hit that one again? Huge fan of that "lion box", really great piece.
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome. What type of areas do you hunt to find things like this? >>

Thanks everyone!

Actually, these were all found at a local park area. Surprising what can come out!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Really incredible indeed. Belt buckle! and a heart pendant(?) that could double as a guitar pick! image

Pretty freakin awesome finds for a day's work. Makes me wanna get out there with my detector!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I find alot of baked potatoes wrapped in foil at the beach.

Usually about 8"-12" down.
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).