Home Metal Detecting
Options

Beach Detecting Question

I have never detected on a beach. It seems that there is a lot of beach. Is there a certain part that you like to look at first? It seems that if you work a pattern that isn't in the water that you could tell where you have been a lot easier by the tracks you leave.

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey PPC already planning for the new beachfront properties in your area caused by global warming? :-) Now I'm in no way a beach expert as I only have small lake beaches here. I just grid those and drag my feet so I can see my tracks. They're usually small enough tO cover so I don't have to worry about finding the right spot. Salt water beaches are different. You may get a lot of falsing of you go on wet sand but a lot of people like that at low tide for recent drops. They say to look for cuts in the sand too. I've only found one gold ring on a salt water beach so i will leave it to some others to offer advice on the best places. But I assume anywhere theres people there's a chance at finding stuff
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    BTW make sure salt water is two words or the bad word filter will alarm
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salt water beach hunting can be quite rewarding. Best to have an MD suited to salt water so the wet sand doesn't false out the signals. I recommend the Surf PI Dual Field from White's. Also good in the water, where most of the good stuff is found.
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Salt water beach hunting can be quite rewarding. Best to have an MD suited to salt water so the wet sand doesn't false out the signals. I recommend the Surf PI Dual Field from White's. Also good in the water, where most of the good stuff is found.
    Cheers, RickO >>

I have read that exact same tip in books on MD - that the best stuff is found in the water maybe 1-2 feet in/deep. Not sure why, perhaps because that's where most is dropped? But they all say you need water-friendly MDs for beach hunting.

Another reason is because if your MD isn't the heavier kind, it may float, and pushing it down will tire your muscles faster. That's what the book said anyway ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE