Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Time I Disagree With PCGS ..........

BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
Tell me what you Think
Maybe i am Wrong but it sure matches the Picture on page 242
of the Cherrypickers Guide

I say it is a F-124 or F-109

They say a minor DDO

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor???? No waaaaay!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure looks like an F 124 (FS-05-1872-103) to me.

No way that is a "minor" variety.

If not an F 124 - perhaps it is a discovery piece of a new "major" variety. Cha Ching!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the club. They screwed up. Send it back and send this picture and any other documentation with it. And make sure you say your Not going to pay for it as they will not offer to do so.( fact is they should reimburse you for postage but that will not happen either ) but good luck. I suspect this thread will go poof soon also.

WS

I stand corrected they evidently got it right.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look minor to me !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    No It is still at pcgs
    I put a Hold Do Not Ship
    I called but she Said have to wait till Friday
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Nice DDO.

Agree, looks like F-124 DDO-003 to me.

I think they'll correct it after a second look.
    Ed
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently sent in a 1952 proof quarter Superbird with the Engraved Tail Feathers, It came back to me with just the Superbird on the label, I looked once again to make sure and called our host. They are going to pay for the postage back to them and I now have the coin 6 days later with the right label. Its Called a Mechinical Error. Enjoy image And its ok to disagree sometimes...........
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    what am I looking for? I'm not a expert
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    You can See all the Doubling

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like doubling to me, but I don't have the CPG with Nickels in it to see if it is the right variety.

They call anything that does not match a Minor variety......doesn't mean it's minor.....just the wrong variety.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Now I see it! Wow the doubling doesn't require a microscope like some DDO coins that some people have posted. How much does a coin like this cost? I might want to acquire one!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    This coin is actually F-114 (S2-1017, 16-O-IV). It is extremely similar to F-124. The easiest way to distinguish the two is that F-124 has a broken letter U (TRUST), while F-114 has a complete U.

This variety is not in CPG, so it is not a variety that PCGS attributes. Having said that, IMO all of the TPGs do a mediocre job of attributing shield nickel varieties. This is not entirely their fault - the only references they look at are CPG (and sometimes Fletcher but not for our host), and neither of those is sufficient to distinguish some of the varieties that are extremely similar.

According to my way classifying DDOs in SNV, this variety is clearly a Major DDO.

To the poster who asked how much this coin costs, I would estimate its value at $300+. (You might want to check out my website in my sig line if you haven't seen shield nickel varieties before.) I'm guessing it graded EF40. I don't know what the OP paid, of course. I have never seen this particular variety for sale, and I would be a buyer if I found one I liked.

I currently have 36 different DDOs catalogued for 1872 in SNV. Some of them are very difficult to distinguish. The only year with more DDOs is 1868 (67 different DDOs presently catalogued).
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave Madden would be proud if he were a collector-

Seems you have made the case- great looking coin.

How did it grade? Looks to be in the 35-40 range

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This coin is actually F-114 (S2-1017, 16-O-IV). It is extremely similar to F-124. The easiest way to distinguish the two is that F-124 has a broken letter U (TRUST), while F-114 has a complete U.

This variety is not in CPG, so it is not a variety that PCGS attributes. Having said that, IMO all of the TPGs do a mediocre job of attributing shield nickel varieties. This is not entirely their fault - the only references they look at are CPG (and sometimes Fletcher but not for our host), and neither of those is sufficient to distinguish some of the varieties that are extremely similar.

According to my way classifying DDOs in SNV, this variety is clearly a Major DDO.

To the poster who asked how much this coin costs, I would estimate its value at $300+. (You might want to check out my website in my sig line if you haven't seen shield nickel varieties before.) I'm guessing it graded EF40. I don't know what the OP paid, of course. I have never seen this particular variety for sale, and I would be a buyer if I found one I liked.

I currently have 36 different DDOs catalogued for 1872 in SNV. Some of them are very difficult to distinguish. The only year with more DDOs is 1868 (67 different DDOs presently catalogued). >>

Took the words out of my mouth.

Yes, without question, it's a doubled die.

It's just not the doubled die in the CPG.

For future reference, IF coins that are submitted are doubled dies but not "THE" doubled die in the CPG, they'll all get the Minor Variety designation. It is no indication of the strength of doubling as much as it is that the variety is not attributed by PCGS as a Major Variety. (o.e. not in the CPG) Therefore they all get Minor Variety.

It really means little though since simply having PCGS recognize the fact that it is a Doubled Die should be enough for most collectors and/or purchasers.

The above coin has Major Doubling for an IKE but it turned out NOT to be the FS-103.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file