Home Metal Detecting
Options

August 5 2012 - Gold

Went camping for two nights with my brother last weekend. Brought metal detectors, panning equipment, sluice. River near the campground is known for gold. Also a few old towns in the area.

Campground was a bit packed, but having full services at the site is always nice.

Sunny weather. Temps in the 90's. Ended up staying in the cool water searching for gold most of the time.

Found a few specs every time we went out. Sluice was a key piece of equipment. Some folks were dredging in the area.

Things look better close-up.

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome! Do you know total weight? I can imagine seeing gold at the bottom of the pan is an amazing feeling
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great shots, thanks.

Even without the added benefit of a little gold, that river looks like the kind of place I'd love to have a splash.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Awesome. I know its a lot of work but it looks like fun!
    Great pics!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see some mercury from the old days!
    Sounds like you had fun.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Had a great time. No idea on the weight. The close-ups are through a microscope and enlarged to extremes. Doubt we even got a quarter gram, but had a blast. Want to go back, but not sure when I can get another pass from my wife.
    I did break out the metal detector for five minutes on the last day. There's a school house in the area dated 1895. Lots of other buildings in town dating back to the late 1700's. Was too exhausted. Dug up a couple pieces of aluminum foil, put everything back in the truck, and was snoring five minutes later as my brother drove toward home.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats totally cool to see that. ive yet to try that. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.... on those types of streams you need to look for sharp bends (inside curve), glory holes and move boulders/rocks in shallow water. Good stuff underneath.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to work the crevices that run 90 or so degrees against the stream flow amongst and in stream side boulders. Be sure to use eye protection as you chip away.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    We went back. Got a few more specs. I really like the unique look of each piece under the microscope. The last image shows the true size of these "nuggets".

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Awesome gold! It's yours. You found it. No one can take that away from you.

That's a great microscope that produces great close ups.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That is cool That stream looks inviting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where there are little nuggets, there are big ones... but a lot of work finding them. Cheers, RickO