Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Finally Someone to Handcut Cards (Thanks pmcollectour)

If anyone is looking for someone to hancut cards for them I recommend pmcollectour. He recently cut the below card for me and I'm very happy with the results. He is willing to offer the same deal to anyone on the board that has items they want to get cut. The fee was 25 dollars to cut the card. I sent the paypal once I confirmed he received the cards. I also offered a "bonus" if the card receives a number grade of 8 or better and higher bonus for a 9 or better. The key caveat for him was that there was zero downside. If the card was not cut correctly he was not responsible since he was pretty much doing me a favor. I have ruined cards in the past trying to cut them myself so this deal was certainly worth it to me. The communication and turn around time was fantastic. Hopefully this will be mutually beneficial to other board members and pmcollectour.

Before

After
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    If anyone else needs cards cut, just send me a PM.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Good job with the cut.
  • Options
    $25??? You can buy a cutter for less then that and cut all the cards you want. I have graded 10s with a cutter that cost less then $25.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eagles you got a good deal. This was to expensive of a piece to take a chance on.

If you want to buy a paper cutter and practice do it on something much cheaper.

The card looks fantastic and that is all the maters. In life you generally get what you pay for and in this case you did.

Good luck on the grade!

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Doubt it gets a number grade but I could be wrong. The top border doesnt have white showing all the way across like the other 3 sides.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    There is a hairline of white all along the top.. It just doesn't show in the scan. That being said.. There is no gurantee it gets a number grade. I've tried cutting myself and suck at it.. So to me 25 is a deal.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    As long as the consumer is happy that is all that matters.... It looks like a good job to me and hopefully PSA agrees.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    That card looks great Chad - PMcollector did a bang-up job on it. Congrats!

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I am not too familiar with this card...

should white be around the entire outside perimeter?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I could be wrong but pretty sure that card will only get an "Authentic" due to the way it was cut. Could have got the same grade if you cut it with some kids safety scissors.
  • Options

<< <i>I am not too familiar with this card...

should white be around the entire outside perimeter? >>

White should not be around the entire outside perimeter. My experiences with PSA confirms (up to this point in time anyway) that they are more likely to give numerical
    grades to cards that are slightly overcut, and you lessen the risk of receiving the AUTHENTIC grade.

Having said that, I have submitted 100's of hand-cut cards, many that are exactly the same cut, and some come back AUTHENTIC, and some come back with a numerical.
    Why ? I have no idea, except PSA must love me because I resubmit the same cards time and time again and they can come back AUTHENTIC, AUTHENTIC, and then PSA 8
    or 9, or 10.

Eagles33 may have to submit this card once, twice, or three times, but he'll eventually get it into an 8, 9, or 10 holder if my past experiences serve me correct.
  • Options

<< <i>I could be wrong but pretty sure that card will only get an "Authentic" due to the way it was cut. Could have got the same grade if you cut it with some kids safety scissors. >>

Hey sport, care to elaborate on what you think is wrong with the cut? It certainly fits with in the guidelines that PSA provided when I asked them how it should be cut. Their is a hairline of white all around the card. The top left is very thin and does not appear in the scan. That being said PSA is not very consistent... So its certainly not guaranteed.. Just wondering what you saw that was so grossly incorrect.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I could be wrong but pretty sure that card will only get an "Authentic" due to the way it was cut. Could have got the same grade if you cut it with some kids safety scissors. >>

Hey sport, care to elaborate on what you think is wrong with the cut? It certainly fits with in the guidelines that PSA provided when I asked them how it should be cut. Their is a hairline of white all around the card. The top left is very thin and does not appear in the scan. That being said PSA is not very consistent... So its certainly not guaranteed.. Just wondering what you saw that was so grossly incorrect. >>

No need to get your miscut panties in a bunch. Even the dude that cut it for you said it may have to be subbed numerous times to get a number grade. Sounds like a built in excuse to me. BTW, it's also miscut L/R. Notice how there is more white showing on bottom right than top right? Left side has the same issue as right side.
  • Options
    Haha. You know guys that wear panties??? What a fruitcake... Anyways the width of the white boarder is concerning.. But it falls within PSA tolerances since most of the slabbed handcut cards I've seen have similar borders. I think its stupid that they require the boarder since it would look much better without it and just hold the card to a specific size requirement... But that's how they want it. Ill bet you a g that you couldn't do a better job with safety scissors.
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Is there a particular kind of paper cutter that works best for cutting cards?
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a particular kind of paper cutter that works best for cutting cards? >>

Yes and No. I'm sure the experts are not willing to share their secrets, but I will.

Some guys buys the $250-$500 cutters, some buy the $50-100 cutters. I've seen both in action, and perhaps it's safe to say that the more expensive ones
    give you the best cuts. But I've had great success with both. The key is to get to know your cutter. Get to know it's tendencies by practicing with some cheap
    material first. Once you get over the fear of messing up, you are on your way towards card cutting heaven. As I've told others here before, I've cut up 100's of cards
    in my time (box bottoms mostly), and I have had 98% success. The two cards I cut short were commons thank God. I don't know what happened to the cutter that
    day. It took on a mind of it's own, or got demon possessed. So mechanical errors can happen, but 98% of the time you will get what you want.

Here are a few pics of cards I have cut.........................

• Options
    The Pacquiao got an 8. Pmcollector cut 3 cards for me and all received number grades on the first sub. I def would recommend him if anyone is looking for someone to cut panels ect..
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    great news that you got a number on that Manny, Eagles! I think you beat my PSA sub by a week on it, hehe. Is it staying in the personal collection or is it for sale?
  • Options
    Paved the way for yours. You don't have to worry about any n9s. It's staying in my collection. I have quite a bit in it. I might over paid a bit for the sheet then I paid someone to cut it. I'm happy with the results though. Looking forward to seeing it slabbed. I don't really collect for condition so if yours gets less than a 8 and you want upgrade I wouldn't mind working out some sort of trade.
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    Anybody else out there that is good at cutting box bottoms, I have a couple that need done.

Tried PMing 'pmcollectour', a couple weeks ago....no response.

Thanks
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody else out there that is good at cutting box bottoms, I have a couple that need done.

Tried PMing 'pmcollectour', a couple weeks ago....no response.

Thanks >>

I Pm'd him months ago, hopefully just taking a little hiatus
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for bumping this thread; I was looking for it but couldn't find it. Is the cutting guy still at it? I have some Swedish Rekord Journal covers that I sure would like cut in hopes of slabbing some 9's and 10's...
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Would UPS or a FedEx store do this? I have two very nice 62 Post cards that need to be cut down. My track record is abysmal.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "Would UPS or a FedEx store do this?"

I am sure they would. Are you sure you'd want them to?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    I guess he left the boards. I have no idea why. Someone else from the boards was able to get in contact with for me a few months ago. Ill try to find the me member who pmed me.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess he left the boards. I have no idea why. Someone else from the boards was able to get in contact with for me a few months ago. Ill try to find the me member who pmed me. >>

Please let me know if you do get back in contact with him.
  • Options
    Try pming edmundfitzgerald. He is in contact with pmcolectour
  • Options
    MrKnowthanxMrKnowthanx Posts: 322 ✭✭
    What do you guys think about getting these re-cut by someone that is good at hand cutting? I don't mind the "Authentic" Grade with box bottoms, as long as they look decent, but I am having a hard time with these. I bought them recently on eBay and I just didn't look at them long enough. Can they be fixed?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had great success cutting Bazooka panels. Sorry, I am not interested in doing it for others, but here are my suggestions.

Get a good metal ruler. Have a worktable with a bright light and plenty of room.

I really like this knife.

Knife

Practice on a few items of different thickness. Change blades often.

Be sober.

It's not that tough.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BruceinGaBruceinGa Posts: 268 ✭✭
    I've only cut a few and find it easy on my Logan Mat Cutter. I agree, sharp blade and be sober image .