Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dealers for classic commemorative coins? Update w info from Kurt Kovich

drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
I have been looking for an exceptional ms 66 Connecticut half for quite a while and am open to upgrading some of my other half dollars. I currently keep an eye on Legend, CRO, D Weygant, M Feld, Pinnacle, Heritage,Numismatic Americana and the Bozarth's websites. Do you have any other dealers that you would reccomend adding to my watch list? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Why not contact any one of those dealers and tell them to find what you are looking for?
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Harry Laibstain. He used to specialize in the early commemoratives in the market tanked.

The trouble is the old silver commemorative market is so weak, no dealer is going to bust their chops to maintain a great inventory. Really nice Connecticut half dollars are around, you don't even have to buy an MS-66 to get one. I had a couple really high MS-65s when I was dealer. It's just the incentive is not there to be really active in that market.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put a WTB listing on the BST forum and you might be surprised what your fellow collectors have to offer.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Put a WTB listing on the BST forum and you might be surprised what your fellow collectors have to offer. >>

I'd agree with that.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While an MS66 Connecticut is not rare at all, if you want one with true, vibrant peripheral colors then you are looking for a rather scarce coin, indeed.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might want to add Vantage Rare Cins to your list. I was shopping a lot lower on the tree than you are but member Kove gave me some great service and price breaks too.

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Anthony Swiatek is known as "Mr. Commemorative."

• Options

<< <i>I have been looking for an exceptional ms 66 Connecticut half for quite a while and am open to upgrading some of my other half dollars. I currently keep an eye on Legend, CRO, D Weygant, M Feld, Pinnacle, Heritage,Numismatic Americana and the Bozarth's websites. Do you have any other dealers that you would reccomend adding to my watch list? Thanks! >>

I just searched Ebay,and found one PCGS 67,and a couple of NGC 66s.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Harlan J Berk
    Pinnacle Rarities
    Aspen Park Rare Coins

JH >>

ive seen some nice ones listed on there web sites. if you get one wed like to see it image
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Feld and Pinnacle come to mind. I'd send Mark an e-mail, personally....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call him and let him know precisely you are looking for
    Better than just waiting as you will get first dibs

Feld
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help and reccomendations. I've added some great websites to watch.I will talk to a few dealers as I am looking for silver centers and peripheral toning or toning that highlights the coin for that cameo sort of look. Going through all of Heritages ms66 coins ,I only saw a handful that are what I am looking for. I think it's a good suggestion to expand the search to include 65s. A really nice 67 would definitely be out of my price range
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for all the help and reccomendations. I've added some great websites to watch.I will talk to a few dealers as I am looking for silver centers and peripheral toning or toning that highlights the coin for that cameo sort of look. Going through all of Heritages ms66 coins ,I only saw a handful that are what I am looking for. I think it's a good suggestion to expand the search to include 65s. A really nice 67 would definitely be out of my price range >>

I've seen the type of CT your looking for over the course of the last two years in about 3-4 MS65 holders and 1 MS67... But not a single MS66 as I recall.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other thing is that a serious commem collector will not expect to be offered a peripherally toned multicolored MS 66 CT for $800, as they are very rare as noted above by TomB. You can expect to pay a substantial premium for such a coin when you find it.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like LindeDad pointed out..........try PM-ing forum member kove ...... he has a tremendous assortment of eye appealing commemoratives .... here's a link to one of his on eBay.....a great looking 65 CAC Connecticut that IMO sure looks as good as most 66s........

linky

• Options
    Hi all, Kurt explained that Connecticuts were issued in cloth lined boxes as a opposed to the cardboard holders ( which led to the spectacular toning seen with coins like Oregons and Antietams). These boxes caused the streaky, darker, wood grain toning patterns that you see with original coins. Coins with silver centers/peripheral toning are rare and due to album storage. I knew they were tough to find as I have been actively looking for 6 months with no success. Now I know why- thanks Kurt!
    As some here have pointed out, coins with album toning carry a premium price. On Heritage they have usually sold for 30-50% above the average going price for their grade. For every 50-75 coins sold at auction in 65 or 66 on average one with have album toning(mostly beige,reddish, hints of rainbow colors) I have yet to see one with the spectacular rainbow toning you see on some peripherally toned commems so if I found one, I doubt I could afford the sky high premium that look would get.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Connecticuts were issued in cloth lined boxes >>

The joy is in the search.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one that I own in an OGH MS65 holder. It is not nearly as dramatic as the sweeping color swaths seen on many other issues, but for a Connecticut half it has unusually pure colors. The rims have medium green and light red along them while the central design elements are highlighted in pink. The color can be quite subtle, but this is more true color (with less auburn) than the vast majority of Connecticut half dollars will have on them.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Here is a nice thread on toned CT's from a little bit ago. Here.

And another one that has a couple in it. here. which includes an example from Fatman that I think is what you are approximately looking for.

edited to add : maybe not price and grade wise, but look wise what you are looking for.
  • Options
    Coin Junkie"s first coin and Fatman's coin are examples of what I am looking for. I don't think I could afford a coin with the colors of Fatman's obverse,but those are two very attractive examples of album toned Connecticuts. Once again thanks to everyone for helping in my hunt.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file