Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever owned a PCGS PR70 or MS70 coin?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
If so, what was it and how long did you keep it?
If not, why? Just no interest?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kept this guy from day one!!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    probably never will...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    many
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have about a dozen of them. Some I got from the mint and put into sets some I purchased when the price was right.
    Newest one that I sent in for grading...

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Yes! My 1998 S matte Kennedy half.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    No, no interest
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin. I sure wish PCGS trueview guy would fix the picture... I dind't pay to have the cert number look like a 8yr old just took his first Photoshop class.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^
    Makes me regret ever having sold mine.
    Has to be one of the, if not the finest looking moderns ever minted.

peacockcoins

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just the modern bullion type material. The stuff I had could be replaced at any show, so no real interest, other than the 2011 25th Ann. First Strike ASE's........ image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, not interested in moderns !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You seen to want to know alot about what I own. image
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I have not owned either. Reason is simple,, I don't buy graded coins and all my slabs are
    self submitted and I don't do moderns. Well, I take that back because I did buy an 1984 Olympic
    gold $10 that I thought was a PF70....ha. It came back a PF69 and that was my one and only
    modern submission....nah, that's a lie too! I did do Presidential dollars up to Lincoln but MS67
    was my best grade. I sold them all and back to pre 1935 (non moderns).

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they won't be moderns forever. At one time all coins were moderns.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-PR70DCAM JFK
    1-MS70 ASE

I still have them.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>they won't be moderns forever. At one time all coins were moderns. >>

WOW
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a $50 2003 in PR70 and it was pretty. I bought it because I wanted to see how nice they could make them... And it was perfect. Also I've got what is turning out possibly PCGS's rarest grade 2006 Lincoln in MS70RD. Now they call it specimen SP.
  • Options
    No, I don't care for moderns and don't have 150 yrs to wait for them to age properly
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H.L. Mencken
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was fortunate enough to have a 2006 W SAE at Pcgs when they decided to start giving out the 70 grade again and it graded MS70. I'm pretty sure it was the 1st one they graded 70.I quickly put it on E-bay where it sold for $2150. Thats still my 2nd best ever profit on a coin. My total cost including coin/Pcgs fees and shipping was about $130.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    JJacksJJacks Posts: 759

Yes, but they weren't immediately slabbed or at least stored in a way so as to keep them in pristine condition forever - in fact quite the opposite - very few people in any way attempted to preserve most coins and that is why coins such as 1916-D Merc dimes are so tough in higher (or even average grade) - if they had all been saved perfectly, they'd be just short of worthless today.

BTW - My answer is No because of little or no interest.
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    I just received my first 70 on my latest submission! It is a 2002-W West Point Bicentennial S$1. I bought several other 70s for my modern commem registry set so now I own maybe a dozen. I took photos of a few including:

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a bunch in my registry sets.

Presidential Proof set (all to 2011), I'll get the 2012 later in the year.

Modern Type Sets have a bunch of MS and PR70 coins, too.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Had the opportunity to have a 2009 ASE, but sold it a couple weeks later to fuel my early commem habit. Moderns just aren't my bag.
  • Options

You remembered my post when I said I collected modern late 1700 coins as a teenager in 1800!image
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    nope, in the not really interested in moderns crowd.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    That's nice.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No--the stuff that I am interested in doesn't grade nearly that high.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Lots as I prefer proofs over business strike.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Have you ever owned a PCGS PR70 or MS70 coin?"

Have you ever submitted NCLT moderns to PCGS? If so, you probably have owned one image
    I have. Still have a few.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not an area of interest.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought these two from the Mint and together they are worth about $5,000.00 more than what I have in to them.

Gotta love those modern coins, if you know what I mean...

Photography by BluCC
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Have you ever owned a PCGS PR70 or MS70 coin?"

Have you ever submitted NCLT moderns to PCGS? If so, you probably have owned one image
    I have. Still have a few. >>

Now that's an interesting perspective nobody else has commented...

I personally am into the SP slabs. It's one of the many facets of my collection. I have an Aussie koala in SP70 because the price was right (cheaper than an SP69 on eBay). There are plenty to go around but I don't collect for rarity alone, I collect for beauty. I love the beauty of a perfect coin especially if the design is good (or great) and so yes I have a 70 slab and will probably acquire another at some point in the future. If the price is right! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few, these are some of my better ones:

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    No, grades mean nothing to me. I have gotten a few graded coins over the years, my highest is a 67 that I won in a giveaway here on the forum.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No--the stuff that I am interested in doesn't grade nearly that high. >>

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never owned a PCGS PR or MS-70. I do own a couple of NGC PR-70 coins. They are part of my registry set, and I own them because they were not much more in price than the same thing in PR-69. I regard these items as "hole fillers" in a registry set.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I like the coin. I sure wish PCGS trueview guy would fix the picture... I dind't pay to have the cert number look like a 8yr old just took his first Photoshop class. >>

if you look it up on the PCGS site, they fixed the pic.
    thats a beauty! image
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    image way to get your forum member's back. Love the camaraderie.

Seems like we each collect what we enjoy, and for some that just happens to include slabbed 70s.

You just gotta make some assumptions in numismatics, first and foremost that if it's valuable to you it'll be valuable to someone else when you're ready to sell.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a 1986-S quarter, clad Kennedy half, and an SBA off Teletrade around the time of the millennium, before the Registry really took off. They were in OGH PCGS PR70 DCAM holders. I paid maybe $35-40-ish for the first two and $50 tops for the SBA. Kept 'em a year or two when the Registry brought me over to this fine site, then sold them when my collecting changed gears. I did quite well on them. Usually I can't really tell much difference between a 69 DCAM and a 70 DCAM, but I must say, the frost on that quarter was caked on so thickly it was ridiculous.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file