Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toning: More valuable than you may think

I have heard various debates and conjectures on the subject of toning. I only see the value of toned coins going up. If you track bin/auction activity on both ebay and herritage auction you will see that Toned Morgans and Toned Franklins are in serious demand. With this being said the PCGS/NGC slab (not to mention the sniffer) adds to the security and comfort of the would be buyer. There is also something artistically pleasing about a well toned coin that will never go away. Even a YN who just started collecting yesturday can see a nicely toned coin and appreciate it for the art alone. Sure there are numerous AT junk coins out there. They are trying to replicate something that cannot be replicated. Nobody... and many have tried to replicate a well toned coin, but the experts can always tell a difference. What are your feelings on toning?

Comments

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all due respect, I think your focus is too broad. In today's market, the only toned coins for which people will pay a premium are those which are universally deemed to be attractive and do not impede an Unc. coin's luster in the slightest way.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i love it when the eye appeal is there
    it is a favorite part of my collection and always will...why i've been addressing that 1st when hopping back in
    eye appeal...to me is 1st and foremost when it comes to coins
    the right toners...fit that bill nicely

value...guessing on value...tricky
    maybe one day
    liberty1957 100 greatest sites had will be adapted and toners can be "sub-graded" on the quality of the toning
    until then
    we are still in dark ages here
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (1) Only certain types of toning warrant a premium as Elcontador wrote, so I'd be weary of blanket statements here.
    (2) The number of series that have toners in demand go well beyond Morgans and Frankies, as evidenced by the interest in WingedLiberty1957's 100 Greatest websites mentioned by lasvegasteddy.
    (3) The experts cannot always tell AT. There are numerous examples of AT that ended up fooling the experts and getting into top plastic. If you think the experts can always tell, read up some more grasshopper image
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    I am an avid collector of toned coins as you know, but to state that NT can't be replicated is rather optimistic. I have many gorgeously toned Jefferson Nickels that I honestly have no idea about the originality of the toning.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have heard various debates and conjectures on the subject of toning. I only see the value of toned coins going up. If you track bin/auction activity on both ebay and herritage auction you will see that Toned Morgans and Toned Franklins are in serious demand. With this being said the PCGS/NGC slab (not to mention the sniffer) adds to the security and comfort of the would be buyer. There is also something artistically pleasing about a well toned coin that will never go away. Even a YN who just started collecting yesturday can see a nicely toned coin and appreciate it for the art alone. Sure there are numerous AT junk coins out there. They are trying to replicate something that cannot be replicated. Nobody... and many have tried to replicate a well toned coin, but the experts can always tell a difference. What are your feelings on toning? >>

The good coin doctors have already tricked the experts. The best ones haven't been caught yet. I still appreciate toning for what it is, but I don't see the market expanding any more than it already has.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with Zoins' comment. Only a very small percentage of nicely toned coins realistically command large 'toning premiums'. The rest sit in inventories, waiting for greater fools to show up.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    In a nutshell, there is toning, ugly toning and attractive toning worth a premium. Contrary to most collectors' beliefs, toning is more often than not a liability and will decrease the value of a coin. The term "original skin" gets thrown around a lot but the truth is "original skin" only works on certain series and not others.

There area coins that bear superb natural toning that are worthy of a premium and coins like that will always carry a premium. Of course beauty is subjective but the important lesson for toning enthusiasts to learn is to know what type of toning is considered universally attractive and worth a premium and what isn't.

Also collectors of toned coins should keep in mind that the method of storage of their toned coins is absolutely vital. Toning and colors will change over time and improper storage will accelerate that change. Too often I see coins that have evidence of beautiful colors and patterns that grew dark over time due to improper storage.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file