Home Metal Detecting

Day 2 of digging someone's scraps. I like these scraps! Old gold and more inside!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Got back to the same place as yesterday - actually took off from work to go back. Started with a 1913 Barber dime, and 10 minutes later dug a low tone. This is what popped out!
Any idea what the inital is? Looks like an R or a K

Old Gold Child's Signet Ring. It weighs 1.5 grams, but for a mark it has what looks like an angled anchor, then the letter "K" anyone know what it means?

Pretty much dug all of the low tones if it was solid enough and deep. Quite a surprise to see a shield nickel! Can't realy read the date, and it looks close enough to 1870, so that'll work.

Once again the low tones were prevalent with very few dimes and quarters. Here's the breakout of today's haul:

-Old Gold Child's signet ring
-1913 Barber Dime
-1945 Merc
-gold plated ring
-1870? Shield Nickel
-1 entirely blank nickel - calling it a V so I can call it a trifecta!
-5 Buffalo nickels - dateless, 1936, 36, 36, 37 (guess 1936 was a good year)
-4 Indian Head Cents - 1861?, 1864, 1908, dateless
-2 older one piece flat buttons
-clay marble?
-3 wheat cents

Can't take any more days off this week, so will be heading back this weekend. HH all!

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff- gold is always good! You're a busy fella.

I like the little "flower" button. Looks Jacksonian, circa 1820s-'30s.

That would indeed look like a clay marble to me, were it not for the ovoid shape. (PS- looks like a bird egg! Haha.) That's kind of strange. Sure it's not a pebble of some kind? How did you find that? Surface pickup, or did it come in the same hole with something else? Interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great stuff- gold is always good! You're a busy fella.

I like the little "flower" button. Looks Jacksonian, circa 1820s-'30s.

That would indeed look like a clay marble to me, were it not for the ovoid shape. (PS- looks like a bird egg! Haha.) That's kind of strange. Sure it's not a pebble of some kind? How did you find that? Surface pickup, or did it come in the same hole with something else? Interesting. >>

haha, it looked marble-ish to me! I'll have to take a closer look in a few days when I can get to it again. There is a small hole drilled in it, and it was found in the hole while digging a metal object.

Someone on another forum responded about the mark in the ring: "an anchor tipped to the right and the letter K" used by Ripley-Howland Mfg Co. on 10K Gold Rings, Manufacturing Jewelers, Boston, MA, and New York, NY, USA - ca 1887 - 1912.

That's pretty exciting!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find....and the 'marble' might be from a necklace....they made beads like that at one time. Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im wondering if theres any mint marks on the 2 dimes you got? nice dig on the gold to image
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>im wondering if theres any mint marks on the 2 dimes you got? nice dig on the gold to image >>

Both of those dimes are Philly!

Gold doesn't show up often enough. Everyone should dig at least one gold a month haha
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes i agree totally, more gold is good image
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... actually took off from work to go back ... >>

Careful there, buddy. That's a slippery slope. You don't wanna loose your job over a hobby image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE