Home Sports Talk
Options

We are still Penn State

2»

Comments

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Penn State a good school. Yes. But is it really prestigious in the minds of those that didn't go there? No. Not hating. Just telling it like it is. >>

It looks like a few people disagree with you. Link

The Wall Street Journal today released a new education ranking series in which recruiters identified the top 25 undergraduate universities that produce the best graduates according to academic strength, communication and leadership skills based on their hiring experience. Pennsylvania State University took the top spot with other schools ranked as follows [...]

I'm not trying to compare us to an Ivy league etc. but you are entirely off. I'm assuming you didn't go there so, honestly, you don't know. Penn State is more than just football.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    JHS- If you read enough articles and look at enough surveys you'll find one that says your school is great. I remember during law school my school (a 2nd rate at best school) ranged from 34-137 out of 175 ABA accredited law schools. That is, one survey had it 34th (ahead of Georgetown, which is the one I sent with my resume to out of the area jobs) and another (much more prominent survey) had my school 137th. A few others were around 75-100. The point is we all have one survey that works for us. Luckily yours is WSJ but looking at several national survey's Penn State is not a highly ranked public school like Michigan, Texas, UCLA, Cal or UNC. I was mistaken. If you get a job when you graduate that's great of course. Plus, if you are happy with your school that's really all that matters. If you condone multiple high level school officials going hush-hush for a man raping little boys then good for you. I would probably not be waving the Penn State banner quite as strong as you but hey good for you.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    Head -> Desk
    >>

+1
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wondering, has anyone heard about the USA swimming scandal thats been going on? Its basically the same thing as what happened at Penn State, just didnt get as much media attention.

Its actually probably worse considering 36 coaches have been banned for life for sexual misconduct over the past 10 years.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BEHOLD THE PENN STATE LEGACY OF THE BELOVED JOPA AND ADMINISTRATORS WHO CONDONED THE UNTHINKABLE ACTIONS OF A MONSTER This will forever - FOREVER - be with Penn State.

Source - Wikipedia...

Child sex abuse scandal

Main article: Penn State child sex abuse scandal

Investigation and charges

On November 4, 2011, a grand jury[29] that had been convened in September 2009, or earlier,[19] indicted Sandusky on 40 counts of sex crimes against young boys. The indictment came after a three-year investigation that explored allegations of Sandusky having inappropriate contact with an underage boy over the course of four years, beginning when the boy was ten years old. The boy's parents reported the incident to police in 2009.[30] The grand jury identified eight boys that had been singled out for sexual advances or sexual assaults by Sandusky, taking place from 1994 through 2009.[5] At least 20 of the incidents allegedly took place while Sandusky was still employed at Penn State.[31]

According to the first indictment, in 2002 assistant coach Mike McQueary, then a Penn State graduate assistant,[32] said he walked in on Sandusky anally raping a ten-year-old boy. The next day, McQueary reported the incident to Paterno. (Later while testifying during the Sandusky trial, McQueary spoke about what he had relayed to Paterno: “I told him and I want to make sure I'm clear. I made sure he knew it was sexual and wrong. There was no doubt.”[33] Paterno told McQueary at the time, “You did what you had to do. It is my job now to figure out what we want to do.”[34] At the Preliminary Hearing for Tim Curly and Gary Shultz, McQueary testified that Paterno was "shocked and saddened, kind of slumped back on his chair." He said that Paterno told him: "I'm sorry you had to see that. It's terrible. And he said, I need to think and tell some people about what you saw and I'll let you know what...what we'll do next."[35] Paterno then informed Penn State athletic director Tim Curley. At the Preliminary Hearing, McQueary also testified that he "believed" Sandusky was having "some type of intercourse" with the boy. He said that this was based on "the positioning" of Sandusky and the boy; but that he never saw "insertion" or "penetration" and is not "100 percent sure" that intercourse was occurring. [36]

Curley and senior vice president for finance and business Gary Schultz (who oversaw the Penn State police department) called McQueary to a meeting a week and a half later.[37] During the meeting McQueary said that he relayed in "graphic detail" what had witnessed in the locker-room showers at the Lasch Building. At the Preliminary Hearing of Curley and Shultz, McQueary testified that he would have given Curley and Shultz a "rough idea" of the body positions of the individuals in the shower, and would have described the activity as "extremely sexual and I thought some kind of intercourse was going on." [38]

According to details in the Freeh Report released July 12, 2012: Despite being aware of Sandusky's sexual misconduct with young boys in the locker-room showers in the Lasch Building in 1998, and 2001, Spanier, Paterno, Curley, and Schultz never restricted Sandusky's access to Penn State facilities. The report states that Sandusky had access to the Lasch Building until November 2011. Over the next ten-year period, Sandusky "was frequently at the Lasch Building working out, showing up at campus events that Penn State supported...He was showering with young boys, staying in dormitories...There are more red flags than you could count, over a long period of time."[39] Consequently, out of the 10 young boys that Sandusky would be convicted of sexually assaulting, most of them were abused after he was investigated in 1998[40] — at least five of them were assaulted "at Penn State’s football facilities and other places on campus after May 1998".[41]

The indictment accused Curley and Schultz not only of failing to tell the police, but also of falsely telling the grand jury that McQueary never informed them of the alleged sexual activity.[42]

On November 5, 2011, Sandusky was arrested and charged with seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse; eight counts of corruption of minors, eight counts of endangering the welfare of a child, seven counts of indecent assault; and other offenses.[43]

Curley and Schultz were charged with perjury and failure to report suspected child abuse by Sandusky.[44][45]

On November 6, 2011, Penn State banned Sandusky from campus.[46] His bail conditions did not include restrictions on his travel.[47][48]

In December 2011, Sandusky was charged with an additional 12 counts of sexual crimes against children.[49][50] The grand jury's second presentment charges Sandusky with an additional count of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and two additional counts of unlawful contact with a minor. The additional victims, known only as "Victim 9" and "Victim 10," were participants in Sandusky's youth program and were between the ages of 10 and 12 at the time of the sexual assaults.[51]

On December 7, 2011, Sandusky was arrested for a second time based on the additional sexual abuse charges. Sandusky was released on $250,000 bail and placed on monitored house arrest while he awaited trial.[52] Sandusky chose to waive his preliminary hearing that took place in mid December.[53]

Pre-trial interviews

On November 14, in a televised phone interview on NBC's Rock Center with Brian Williams, Sandusky admitted to correspondent Bob Costas to having showered with underage boys and touching their bodies, as he described it "without intent of sexual contact." Sandusky denied being a pedophile.[54] The interview received substantial coverage in the media, particularly regarding the manner in which Sandusky answered Costas when asked if he is sexually attracted to young boys:[55][56][57] {{blockquote|COSTAS: "Are you sexually attracted to young boys, to underage boys?"
    SANDUSKY: "Am I sexually attracted to underage boys?"
    COSTAS: "Yes."
    SANDUSKY: "Sexually attracted, you know, I enjoy young people. I love to be around them. But no I'm not sexually attracted to young boys."
    [58][59]

In the days following the interview, several potential victims contacted State College lawyer Andy Shubin to tell their stories, with one claiming Sandusky had abused him in the 1970s.[60]

In an interview with Jo Becker of the The New York Times on December 3, 2011, Sandusky responded to the initial 40 charges of sexual crimes against children:[61][62]

BECKER: "You must have some theory, without getting into individual cases or naming names."
    SANDUSKY: "You would have to, to have my understanding of that. What I think? I mean, What I think are that these are individual matters. These kids, some of them, I know them. Some of them. I don't know all of them. [lawyer Amendola interjects 'we're assuming']. We're assuming we know them. Two of the kids. My gut feeling would be that they got pulled into this."

Trial

The trial, for 52 charges of sexual crimes against children, started on June 11, 2012, at the Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania.[63][64] State Deputy Attorney General, and former homicide prosecutor, Joseph E. McGettigan III, led the prosecution team for the commonwealth; defense attorney Joseph Amendola was Sandusky's lead attorney for the defense team; and Senior Judge John Cleland presided.

Over the course of the trial that lasted eight days, jurors heard from eight witnesses who testified that Sandusky sexually abused them.[65] Jurors also heard testimony about assaults on two other victims who were never identified.[65] Of the eight males who gave testimony, each explained that they met Sandusky through The Second Mile organization; their individual accounts spanned from the mid-1990s until 2009.[66][67] The witnesses testified of similar stories of being abused in the football locker room showers or in the basement of Sandusky's home[66] Sandusky's defense attorneys argued that the accusers were driven by financial motives.[68]

The first prosecution witness, identified in media reports as "Victim 4," described detailed accounts of many instances of sexual abuse, including unwanted oral and anal sex, by Sandusky while the witness was a participant in Sandusky's Second Mile charitable organization.[63] According to "Victim 4," he was sexually abused by Sandusky as many as three times a week for three years, beginning when he was 13 years old.[64] The witness further testified that when he attempted to distance himself from Sandusky, Sandusky offered the boy a contract for money to continue spending time with him.[64]

On the second day of trial, "Victim 1", the youngest of Sandusky's alleged victims, testified to over 20 incidents of abuse, including unwanted and forced oral sex, by Sandusky during 2007 and 2008 while the boy was a participant in Sandusky's Second Mile program. The boy was 11 or 12 years old when the sexual abuse started.[69][70] Mike McQueary, former Penn State graduate assistant football coach, testified that in 2001 in a Penn State locker room, he heard "skin on skin" slapping sounds coming from the showers. McQueary testified that he then saw Sandusky naked behind a 10- to 12-year-old boy propped against a shower wall, with "Sandusky's arms wrapped around the boy's midsection in the closest proximity that I think you could be in."[71][33]

On June 18, 2012, it was reported that during the full-day court recess the previous Friday, prosecutors had contacted NBC "asking the network to re-authenticate a full unedited transcript" of the Bob Costas interview from November.[72] An unaired portion of the Costas interview featured Sandusky saying, "I didn't go around seeking out every young person for sexual needs that I've helped".[73][59] Legal analysts explained that this could be used by the prosecution to cross examine Sandusky if he were to take the stand.[72]

On June 21, 2012, after the case had gone to the jury, Matt Sandusky, one of Sandusky's six adopted children, stated through his attorney that he was also a victim of the former coach's sexual abuse. He had been ready to testify for the prosecution, but did not do so.[74] Later, Amendola said that Jerry Sandusky had every intention of testifying in his own defense, but decided against it because he claimed that the prosecution would have called Matt Sandusky to the stand.[7]

Subsequently, sources close to the investigation conducted by the Office of the State Attorney General have stated that the prosecutor never threatened to have Matt Sandusky testify at trial, and that "prosecutor Joseph McGettigan relished the opportunity of taking-on Jerry Sandusky in cross examination and had promised Amendola early on that they would not call any additional rebuttal witnesses".[75]

Verdict

The jury, consisting of seven women and five men, many with direct ties to Penn State,[76] deliberated for 21 hours over two days.[66] On the evening of June 22, 2012, the jury reached its verdict, finding Sandusky guilty on 45 of the 48 counts against him.[77][6] Specifically, Sandusky was convicted of the following charges and counts: eight counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, seven counts of indecent assault, one count of criminal intent to commit indecent assault, nine counts of unlawful contact with minors, 10 counts of corruption of minors and 10 counts of endangering the welfare of children. Cleland immediately revoked Sandusky's bail and remanded him to the Centre County Correctional Facility to await sentencing.[68]

Sandusky faces a maximum sentence of 442 years in prison.[78] According to NBC News' Michael Isikoff, Sandusky faces a minimum sentence of 60 years under Pennsylvania sentencing guidelines — at his age, effectively a life sentence.[79] A sentencing was expected 90 days from the date of conviction.[77][65]

Sandusky could also potentially face federal charges for molesting boys at both the 1999 Alamo Bowl in San Antonio and the 1999 Outback Bowl in Tampa. Although these were spelled out in the state indictment, federal authorities have jurisdiction over any crime that crosses a state line.[80] Although federal investigators appear to be focusing their probe on a possible cover-up of Sandusky's crimes by officials at Penn State, it would not be double jeopardy to bring charges against Sandusky himself.[81] Officials in San Antonio are conducting a probe of the 1999 Alamo Bowl case, and Sandusky could potentially face charges there; again, it would not be double jeopardy for him to be charged in Texas.[82]

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just wondering, has anyone heard about the USA swimming scandal thats been going on? Its basically the same thing as what happened at Penn State, just didnt get as much media attention.

Its actually probably worse considering 36 coaches have been banned for life for sexual misconduct over the past 10 years. >>

Give it some time. It may get bigger as the Olympics drag on. However, I'm not sure why you would make the comment in this thread apart from trying to lessen the severity or excusing in someway the incidents at Penn State. >>

No im not trying to lessen anything. I just happened to read about it and found it odd that i hadnt heard anything about it yet. Just wondering if anyone else had heard about it. Thats all.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Source - Wikipedia... >>

Hahahaha this should be good.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's really no use in arguing with any Penn State/Paterno defenders as most have been drinking the "JoePa" koolaid so long that he's essentially God in their eyes, and the best argument they have is "anyone who didn't go to Penn State can't speak to anything". Uh, no. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that Paterno could have done something more than what was done, and chose not to. He himself prior to his death said "I wish I had done more". What does that tell you? He knew. He knew Sandusky liked young boys, knew that the campus was his preferred venue to molest them, and still did nothing to permanently bar him from campus because the football program was more important. And please don't insult out intelligence by claiming that Penn State was more than football. Yes, they teach academics and yes, people earn degrees there... but if it weren't for football it would be just another mediocre state university and they sure as hell wouldn't have anywhere close to the billion dollar plus bank account they currently have (for the time being, at least).

That said however... Paterno's dead, so it seems to me that he has already paid the ultimate price for his involvement (or, if you prefer, non-involvement). And Sandusky will rot in prison, where, if there is a just and vengeful God, he can be someone else's prison sissy for several years. So all the shoulda-woulda-coulda postulating, whining and bickering is totally pointless.

Are some Penn State students unfairly being ridiculed? Probably, but unfortunately that's just the collateral damage from the atrocities committed by Sandusky. Blame him for that, no one else. At some point things will quiet down, but Penn State will never, ever be the same... and I'll go one step further- they will never be a football powerhouse again.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Source - Wikipedia... >>

Hahahaha this should be good.

Are you challenging fact? If so, put it up, or shut up about what you think is inaccurate. Nobody here gives a Sh$t about you or Penn State. Apparently you favor those who would stick their d*icks up little boys butts. Really bizarre that you think doing those things is so funny. You have become the laughing stock of the boards, seek some help before all this consumes you. Pretty friggin lame with the ha ha thing.

New class being taught at Happy Valley this year...Serial Rapist 101.

So, Penn State grad, get over yourself, we're sick of your crap about the rah, rah. How about posting what your beloved alma mater is doing for the victims...remember them? Go put some water on that JoPa tree while you look at your yearbook.

Oh, BTW, this is the SPORTS TALK board, not the bleeding heart, I love Penn State board. Enough already!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enough already, its obvious this guy is not in tune with the fact that pretty much the entire country is angry with Penn State and it will never be forgotten or forgiven.

You love Penn State? Then good for you, just stop with the preaching about your undying love for the school, people here have tried to be courteous and understand your a recent grad and all that but your not going to find one poster here who will remotely agree with you about your beloved university. The fact that you continue to counter everyones opinions that an entire nation agrees with tells me that although you have a solid education you have alot to learn.