Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1966 Panini Cassius Clay / Muhammad Ali RC PSA 9 (none higher) on eBay

With all of the discussion about the 1986 Panini Mike Tyson on the other forum, I thought a lot of people might be interested in this card I finally decided to list on eBay. Finding a PSA 9 of this card is ridiculously tough, and I really believe it is the only candidate for the "True RC" of The Greatest. His cards have a lot of upward potential, when you compare his popularity to the card values of other superstars from the team sports.

I don't know how to post a link, but the eBay Item number is: 130739084854

Thanks for looking and PM me with any questions.
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Help you out with the link: 1966 Clay Panini PSA 9

Great card! I am in the 1960 Hemmets as the rookie card camp image
    Hook'em
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. One of these days I am going to have to learn how to do that.

As far as the RC question, I got a quick comment on the auction from someone and I thought I would post it here...

Question & Answer

Q: FYI: This is not the true rookie card. It's the 65 65 Lampo.

my response

A: I view the Panini as the true Rookie Card, as many collectors do, because of the long lineage that the Panini brand had as a "mainstream" card producing company. Lampo, and all of the other early cards of Clay, were one-and-done oddball brands. Panini produced cards for the next thirty years, and the brand name still produces cards today. You can buy Panini Rookie cards of boxers all the way up to Mike Tyson. The other brands and candidates are all regional, minor league type issues and are not on the par with the Panini cards.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Greg ... why would you list a card at that price with such a poor picture? I have NO IDEA what the card is worth, but don't you think you would get more with a better picture? How about showing the back? And a few closeups of certain parts of the card. You can get an Epson V300 Photo scanner for less than $100.00. I know you have other high value cards ... you will EASILY get your money back!

Best of luck with the sale.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    You may want to consider putting that bad boy up at a major auction house. I agree with your argument about the "true" rookie card. All the others deserve the XRC designation.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Greg - is that card a "hand-cut"

thanks
    Mike

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I know that I need better pictures for sure, but am lacking the equipment to do it. That is part of why I did a Buy it Now instead of an auction., so that it won't affect me unless I allow it to.

The card came in packs, in the standard style, and is not a hand cut card.
  • Options
    If anyone submits a formal offer through Ebay, please state that you heard about it through the psa boards.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    The rookie card debate is up in the air.. I'm in the Lampo camp.. While some prefer the hand cut card from 1960.. And the 66 panini definitely has a valid argument too. Regardless of which side I'm on I still appreciate the significance of this card. it probably fits the definition of a true rookie the best. Packs of 66 panini are even begining to surface. The age, thin stock, poor printing, and centering all make this card extremely difficult to find in mint condition. I don't really collect for condition so this card isn't for me.. But I know a lot of registry people do so I don't really think the bin is that outrageous. I wish smr would do a story on Ali cards and highlight the cards in the debate. The more awareness the market has the better. I still think the majority of collectors consider his 71 baratt card his rookie. If that card sold for 4 figures in a PSA 10 then this is certainly worth a few thousand imo. I would like to see one of ali's cards crack the tops 50 sports cards of all time list. His popularity as an athlete certainly warrants it.. He just doesn't have that iconic card yet..and I think this or the Lampo could be it
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    I completely agree that if ALi had the single iconic RC, like the 1952 Topps or 1986 Fleer, it would boost his collectability. But I do believe strongly, that by almost all of the customary hobby definitions of what makes a "RC" that the
    1966 Panini is that card. Think of how many cards Michael Jordan had that preceded the 1986 Fleer, that are considered oddball, regional issues. Or even the Minor League cards that are commonplace for most baseball players of the past. Or for basketball players like Bob Cousy, is there a debate between the 1951 Berk Ross or the 1957 Topps?

I do enjoy the debate, and the other cards, but by definition, this one is my choice.
  • Options
    I will probably be going to the national in Baltimore on Sunday, and bringing this card (if it is unsold by then), as well as other Panini boxing singles with me.
    PM if you are interested in anything from my Muhammad Ali collection...
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭

<< <i>I completely agree that if ALi had the single iconic RC, like the 1952 Topps or 1986 Fleer, it would boost his collectability. But I do believe strongly, that by almost all of the customary hobby definitions of what makes a "RC" that the
    1966 Panini is that card. Think of how many cards Michael Jordan had that preceded the 1986 Fleer, that are considered oddball, regional issues. Or even the Minor League cards that are commonplace for most baseball players of the past. Or for basketball players like Bob Cousy, is there a debate between the 1951 Berk Ross or the 1957 Topps?

I do enjoy the debate, and the other cards, but by definition, this one is my choice. >>

I wish you all the best on your listing, it really is a GREAT card.

Funny thing for me is that I have the 1951 Berk Ross Bob Cousy in my rookie card collection over the 1957 Topps! I also just picked up the 1984 Star Jordan rookie over the 1986 Fleer. Just one of those cool things about our hobby & women, we can all find something that we enjoy image
    Hook'em