Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crossover Results Good and Bad with pictures (Update with New Pictures)

RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well I sent in 2 coins for crossover the first one was in a anacs slab its the 1956 proof reverse die gouge was graded proof 67, It crossed over as a Proof 66(the Good) Second coin submitted was in a NGC holder and was a 1952 proof 66 Cameo. Now this was the one that is a wake up call to me. It came back as a Proof 65 (lost my cameo) Now for the past 2 years I have had good luck crossing over coins and have never gotten one back without the cameo that was on the previous label. I am not going to get on my soapbox and tell our host how the coin should be graded, instead when I get the coin back I will study it and see WHY they think it is NOT a cameo. And if I disagree with our host I have the option of cracking it out and trying to resubmit, No big deal. What does bum me out is the fact that the threads started with the I know it all opinions get 4 pages of response and yet someone who submits and takes the good with the bad gets 5 replys. It used to be(ok so I only been a member for alittle over 2 years) but it used to be when someone posted there results everyone would stop by and say congrats on your grades, now if the title isn't about crying or whining it gets no response. This is a Hobby nothing more and its suppose to be fun. When I start getting so mad about my results I will take a break, or quit. Untill than I will march forward and keep trying to learn from my bad submissions and as far as I know I think my good submissions outweigh the bad. ........Thanks for reading my rant we now return you back to your original station...........Enjoy tom image image image image I have ALSO completed 50 percent of my registry set woohooo imageMy Registry Set.......
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Comments

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    Other than the first few letters in Liberty(which could be the photo) your NGC coin sure looks Cameo. When you get it back,if you figure why it lost the cam designation,please post a follow up with photos if possible.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the photos, but the frost on the 52 doesn't look complete. In any case, congrats on the ANACS cross, even though it dropped a grade. I haven't ever gotten a gold label ANACS slab to cross...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post Tom...you have the right outlook. I too have been disappointed with grades from PCGS, but usually when I get them back and study them real good I can see why they did what they did.

Only once have I been so sure that I resumitted and it came back like I thought it should. I don't keep sending coins back in until I get what I "want".......don't play that game.

Maybe when you get them back you will find your answer.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I shared via PM, I think it would be the fields on your 1952 that held the coin back from the CAM designation. If it were my coin and it was raw I probably would have tried submitting it, but would not have been surprised when it came back without the CAM designation.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    great post tom
    drag about the 52
    out of curiosity when you asked it to be crossed...did you have at any or min grade including designation too?

lol
    you got 5 or 6 replies...sheesh my last gtg on 2 buffalo's saw...2...lol
    you're alright in my book

i think as don stated...there was a lil cartwheel in the mirror and frost a lil weak is my add
    cartwheel in mirrors...a big no-no
    my 1967 sms failed for exact reason
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect Washingtons and I don't collect CAM or DCAM anything. That means I'm not qualified to give an informed opinion here. But that said, my reaction to the '52 is that there are a lot of areas of frost weakness on both sides (inside the hair, lower neck, inside the wings), plus what looks like a fair amount of frost in the right obverse field. Both of these could be due to lighting to some degree. In years of reading CAM vs. DCAM vs. no CAM posts here and looking at attached photos, my interpretation is that both of these can disqualify a coin from CAM status at PCGS?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just judging from the pics it would seem that the frost is not full on the obv and the fields not black enough, but I'm no expert on proofs so I could be way off. Congrats on the one that did cross and reaching the 50% completion mark of your set.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a $300.00 haircut, which would have ticked me off as well! On Cams and DMPL, I now try at same grade first. (I learned the hard way.) If it comes back DNC, then you have the option of a guarantee from NGC, which in the case of that 25C, might have applied. It does not look full cam from the pics.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Tpgs are not correct 100%. Ive seen non cameo franks that when compared to cameo franks should have been cameo and vice versa.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replys, and yes Don is probally right on, as he has seen alot of these and I am still learning. I have to admit that when I sent these both in I noticed how much more brillant the 56 was compared to the 52. The 56 I picked off for 40 bucks so even with the one point loss I still Love that coin. The cameo's I guess I need to read and study more up on those. Teddy I almost always send in my crossovers Without a Minimum Grade as I have always felt good about the coin and not worried about the holder, this one has changed that as I did not pay attention to my gut feeling. I did compare it to a few others in my set and thought a cameo 65 would have been possible. Again with the cameo's and dcam I can see there is a big learning curve. Should get both in Mondays mail and will try and take pictures and post. Enjoy tom image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    OK the Pictures finally showed up and the coins are in hand and I must admit I am alittle baffled by the grades. The 1956 die gouge that is ONE clean looking coin and compared to other proof 66 I think it maybe under graded. The 1952 proof cameo 66 that came back a Proof 65 Well I ask, Does anyone here think that is right? Looks cameo to me but again I am still learning. Thanks for any comments. Enjoy imageimage image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not be surprised to have received the Superbird back without a CAM designation. For the same reasons stated previously.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree.

Take a look at this one on EBay. 1956 PCGS Washington MS66

If that is not Cam, well, what chance did yours have. Also, how about the dude asking full retail of a DCAM, even though it's not! LOL.

• Options

<< <i>I agree.

If that is not Cam, well, what chance did yours have. Also, how about the dude asking full retail of a DCAM, even though it's not! LOL. >>

I do like the remark In our opinion, and I guess your both right, no point in sending that one back in. I was lucky and did not pay the extra for the superbird attributation. Just thought with the update photos I would share. Another lesson learned..........Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree.

If that is not Cam, well, what chance did yours have. Also, how about the dude asking full retail of a DCAM, even though it's not! LOL. >>

UNITED isn't nearly as frosted as need be for CAMEO.
    The rest of the coin could be chalky white with black fields but if a part of the coin (and this is significant) isn't, the coin won't CAM (nor should it).
    Interestingly, the dealer is asking near DCAM pricing on his 1956 proof though.

peacockcoins

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Tom, you're my bud, but when I saw the lack of frost on the 'LI', even going into the 'B', in "LIBERTY', I agree with drfish......I just thought that much frost 'loss' (not even break) in the frost was enough to lose the designation. Bummed for ya.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Tom,

It is very hard to see frost breaks from images. You have to have the coin in hand. I also want to congratulate you on your great attitude. I have been a member of these forums for over 11 years and have seen much crying about results. You took things well.

My perspective is fairly simple. After years of watching the process, I would NEVER send a coin in for a crossover. I would crack it and send it in raw. Just MHO on submissions. In fact I cracked a 66 NGC Washington that I am sending in tomorrow, hoping to get a 66 again for my registry set. We shall see how it comes out.

It is really like putting a coin up for auction when sending in a coin from another service. Sometimes you do really well and other times not so much. Remember that grading is an ART not a SCIENCE and thus there will always be an error term in the outcome of a large number of submissions. No one is perfect, yet I suspect there may be some frost breaks when you coins is seen in person... you can always resubmit across the street and get the CAM back again.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file