Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Judd-unlisted, Pollock-unlisted 1876 Sailor Head pattern hub trial

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
There was a thread recently about collecting for condition versus collecting for rarity. I think this one is pretty comfortably in the "collecting for rarity" side of things. There are only two known by type, and the other is in the Smithsonian. How's that? :-)

The "Sailor Head" patterns by Charles Barber were produced in 1875 through 1877 in a variety of denominations. They're rare individually, typically in the R-7 range (4-12 known) for most types. In addition to the "normal patterns" (add that one to your list of numismatic oxymorons), Judd and Pollock list a single hub trial in their respective appendixes -- Judd A1877-9/Pollock 3443. That single piece was in the Chase Manhattan Bank collection, and is now in the Smithsonian.

Unless someone can prove me wrong, I think I now have a second hub trial, new to the numismatic community.

The obverse of the 1876 piece has significant damage (Mint cancellations?), but it's clear that the design is very similar to the listed 1877 hub trial. The designs are not identical. Besides the obvious presence/absence of a date, there are other minor variations including the positioning of the crown relative to stars 6 and 7. The reverse legends appear to be hand-punched on both specimens, with strange letter misalignments in several places including M-E-R of AMERICA.

Both the listed 1877 piece and the new 1876 piece are noteworthy in that they represent failed designs. Of the known dollar-sized patterns, some have no stars and some have stars to either side with IN GOD WE TRUST above the bust. None of the known struck patterns has a complete arc of stars over the head.

The 1876 piece is slightly out of round, with diameter from 43.7 to 44.8 mm. That's basically a dead-on match to the 1877 piece (1.728 inches = 43.9 mm).

The 1876 piece weighs 30.48 grams (470.4 grains), which is significantly less than the 1877 specimen (755.9 grains = 48.98 grams). I'm not entirely sure I believe that weight for the 1877 piece, since it would require a disk that was nearly 4 mm thick, which is thick enough that it's surprising that neither Judd nor Pollock commented on the thickness.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way Kewl!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    sweet and great read too

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Interesting.

What a way to cancel a die. Covered the eyes with two passes, close enough on the nose and chin and a few more passes for good measure.

Too bad, might have been a nice Liberty by Barber.

The b/w Liberty depiction of Liberty has an un-natural relationship between the jaw line and the chin. Strange.
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, I love rare pieces like this!
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! And knowing you, you probably picked it up for $2 in a junk bin somewhere!
  • Options
    Actually, I paid a lot more than $2... and a lot less than I would have been willing to go. I *really* like the idea of having something where I can say that the only other one is in the Smithsonian. image

A related question is what I truly should have paid for it. Beats me on that one. The only other on is in the Smithsonian. Before that it was in the Chase Manhattan Bank collection. No auction records. At all. I'm pretty sure that it's worth more than $100 and less than $100,000. Gee, isn't that helpful.

I'm not planning on selling it, so I guess we won't find out.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing a cool find!

Freddie
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the piece makes it to the Philly ANA, I'd love to see it in person.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonathanb threads are the best! Thanks for sharing your latest find.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man I love this place!

Very cool jonathanb! Thank you for sharing!!

That is a really big difference in weight. I wonder if a request can be sent to the Smithsonian to confirm the weight (or thickness) of their example?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ran across this. Congrats on a very cool piece!

Is this now, or will this be in the future, listed in Judd or Pollock?
  • Options
  • Options
    That is awesome, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is an amazing piece!
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    I only have one question.... where was Daniel Carr when this was minted! image

Neat piece. Best of luck on authenticating it.
  • Options

<< <i>I only have one question.... where was Daniel Carr when this was minted! image >>

Does Dan's process even use hubs? If Dan was around I'm not sure this piece would even exist image
  • Options
    I still have it. I never sent it, and I don't plan on sending for slabbing. I decided that I wouldn't believe someone else's opinion -- either way. I wouldn't believe if they said it was fake, and I wouldn't believe if they said it was real either. There's so little compare it against, and it's worn enough that any die markers are long gone.

I like it as it is, and that's fine enough for me. :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file