Home Precious Metals

Who has the bullion fever?

Gut instinct has me buying. Have been buying nice quality merc dimes for $2/each like they're going out of style! I think it's just a matter of time before this flat silver market perks up. Hope the spidey sense is right.

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to a local show this weekend.
    Surprise that there were a lot of
    silver bullion buyers !!!!
    Timbuk3
  • slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    I've been steady buying as cash flow permits. This week cash flow didn't permit much but I got a 2oz year of the dragon perth mint coin, I would have gotten 2 one ounce bars for less but I kinda like the design.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing, as far as I'm concerned, that indicates the silver bear market is about to turn around any time soon. I'm holding on to cash & will continue to do so, until the "speculators" return. Excessive supply of silver over demand is not helping the market either.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

Short term the dollar will continue gaining strenght. A huge headwind for metals. I'm not expecting things to change anytime prior to late this fall. Doesn't hurt to stack if you have the cash flow though.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because the dollar looks good compared to the Euro, it doesn't mean that our debt problem is any better. The numbers don't lie.

The dollar is tied to the debt, and when an increasing amount of debt is being rolled over without causing rates to rise - something stinks.

You can work and save your whole life, and a billion times the sum total of your life's work can be keystroked by some twerp at the Fed in 1 second. Kinda makes your efforts and intelligence seem for naught, especially when you work and he doesn't seem to have that same requirement.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because the dollar looks good compared to the Euro,

The dollar looks good vs PMs as I can buy more today than last month, than the month before that, and the month before that, and, well, you get the idea.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    The Dollar is the prettiest pig in the contest right now, that's all folks image

Deception and manipulation still rule the market, combined with a stagnated Govt. for the next 6 months spells only more pain (or buying opportunites). Just depends on your longer than 6 month outlook right now imo.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fever? No

Steady accumulation with the belief prices will rise over time? Yes
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Fever Yes.
    Still sort of in safety zone, but on the edge. Good Stuff became available again so it is hard to stop. Got a cracked windshield this am, and all I could think about was how much PMs I could have bought with the money... Def better price 'deals' on silver than gold - two different animals.
    COA
  • Hell I've had the fever since the mid 80's, just keep stacking as funds permit or whenever an unusual old poured bar shows up at my favorite dealer.image
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Good article off of Conflation which had good advice for me or any stacker:

The One Personality Trait that All Gold & Silver Investors Need to be Profitable
    COA
  • Being a long time stacker i have just discovered the unique beauty of the poured variety bars
  • KUCHKUCH Posts: 1,186
    As a newbie several years ago, I was buying gold and silver coins as a hedge. Then I switched to bullion.

Would greatly appreciate the opions here: As a hedge (insurance) and liquidity factor, which would be the better investment? Coins or bullion?
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a newbie several years ago, I was buying gold and silver coins as a hedge. Then I switched to bullion.

Would greatly appreciate the opions here: As a hedge (insurance) and liquidity factor, which would be the better investment? Coins or bullion? >>

Bullion coins that also have a numismatic value.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, I'm a big fan of BU rolls of common date 90%, late date Franklins, Washingtons, and Roosevelts.

You get all the silver content (they're not worn), you get recognizability/liquidity, you get a face value floor (in case they discover a hundred billion tons of silver somewhere, and/or solve the budget crisis, and you get some potential numismatic value from collectors, and all for a very modest premium above "melt"

the bulk of my silver bullion is held as BU rolls, many OBW (or were, before I opened some to have a look)

I had a big fever for these in 2000-2004, not adding new ones unless/until silver drops below $20, or one of my other investments significantly outperforms, triggering a rebalance which would add silver and gold holdings

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• If your not careful, you can surely get taken on the 90% on the upfront cost and the dispensing cost going out.

This can be true on just about all versions of Silver but it has appeared over time that this area of the market is more manipulated to capture premium sales charges both ways.

If you go the Bar or Round route and your just focused on instant as possible liquidity and insurance go with 1 oz ASE's, 1 oz Engelhard or Johnson Matthey Bars and Rounds.

If you like the collector Bars and Rounds... Old Poured/Cast , Minted/Struck then know that its all over the board, its almost like Rare Coins ie. its very individual. One will sell at a substantial premium and another similar but not exact one may sell for a modest premium. If you have the time to market them you will do well.

NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac