Home Precious Metals
Options

Are those plastic pouches APMEX uses for 1 oz bars PVC?

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know? I know its just bullion, but I still don't want PVC damage. I'm talking about the sealed plastic pouches that these come in

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Usually soft plastic means PVC.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes ... I believe they do.

I took a butane torch to several (sealed and unsealed) and could smell the smell. Removed all my bars from soft pouches, sealed or not, and put them in polyethelene ziplocks.

I agree, it's only silver, but I don't want a bunch of PVC laden bars, and I keep some in the same SDB as coins, which concerned me even more.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I put my bars in airtites.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I believe the plastic JM and Eng used in their 80s-era bars was PVC. I've got dozens and they have suffered no ill-effects. I appreciate not wanting to use PVC, but I'd rather have the bars in original plastic.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I'd take them out of the PVC and give them an acetone bath before putting them in inert mylar (Saflips) or Airtites. That's what I do with all my bars.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Most of mine in such packaging seem ok at the moment. Also have a couple of clean strips of 1 ozs, and some strips that have a few black spots (look like little torch burns).
    Was also under the impression to leave in original plastic packaging and strips to aid in the value or authenticity..

What kind of dip?
    I've used coin-dip and acetone.
    -Acetone seems to do nothing to clean or shine up the silver -Confused- Is it just meant to remove pvc residue?
    -Coin-Dip- almost instantly restores all my tarnised silver. I'd rather have a clean shinny bullion ASE, or buy that way.

COA
  • Options

<< <i>
    What kind of dip?
    I've used coin-dip and acetone.
    -Acetone seems to do nothing to clean or shine up the silver -Confused- Is it just meant to remove pvc residue? >>

Yes.

<< <i>-Coin-Dip- almost instantly restores all my tarnised silver. I'd rather have a clean shinny bullion ASE, or buy that way. >>

I agree and use eZest (given that no numismatic value is attached to a coin/bar)
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Now you have me wondering.I have a number of apmex 1 oz rounds in their origional plastic.So far no problems but maybe I need to put them into capsules.
  • Options

<< <i>Now you have me wondering.I have a number of apmex 1 oz rounds in their origional plastic.So far no problems but maybe I need to put them into capsules. >>

For long term storage, I would put them in capsules (after an acetone bath as 1jester suggested - he mentored me when I started buying silver)
    For short term, leave them in plastic since the have more appeal on the buyers (as per Weiss').
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought if you have enough to wince at the cost of capsules (and the fact, like slabs, they get scruffy) ... Polyethelene bags are cheap (about 3 to 4c each in small bulk lots) ... I use the 2x3 2mil types for bars, which fit 1's and 5's just fine. Then I put 20 1's or 4 5's in a 4x6 2mil. They don't stack like slabs or capsules, but they are well protected and easy to count out. One of the tellers saw me loading a few bags of 1's in the SDB once, and I think for a minute she thought I was storing drugs in the box. LOL image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

<< <i>Now you have me wondering.I have a number of apmex 1 oz rounds in their origional plastic.So far no problems but maybe I need to put them into capsules. >>

If you have round you can use tubes instead of capsules. They do the job if you keep the cabinet/SBD/safe dry.