Home Precious Metals
Options

OT: As I awake today to find out about the CO killings,

it reminds me to use more common sense than ever. Taking young children (reports say many 6-9 year olds) were out at a MIDNIGHT showing of the movie??? What in the hell are those parents thinking???
Trust me, I realize they are victims and my sympathy goes out to them and I will pray for them, (and I hope that you do too) but taking your 6 year old to see a midnight premiere of ANYTHING, even if it were a Disney movie, is assinine! Putting young children in late night situations can lead to thses kinds of matters.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expect more calls in some quarters for gun ownership controls/bans. Crimes such as this are often politicized.
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    PoM, I respectfully disagree. This is a great country where you should be free to take your children everywhere at any time.
    It is such a great country that almost everybody is allowed to own a gun.
    Don't get me wrong, I think I know where this come from and, not being an American, I don't object about the 2nd Amendment.
    Though, I feel that these killings will continue to happen until some restrictions are applied. JMHO
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    The left always wants to talk about gun restrictions, but seem oblivious to discuss the issue of the garbage they produce and its often violent life imitating art outcomes.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PoM, I respectfully disagree. This is a great country where you should be free to take your children everywhere at any time.
    It is such a great country that almost everybody is allowed to own a gun.
    Don't get me wrong, I think I know where this come from and, not being an American, I don't object about the 2nd Amendment.
    Though, I feel that these killings will continue to happen until some restrictions are applied. JMHO >>

True. It's the summer, kids are off of school and the parents often work during the day and on weekends. Besides, there is a certain mystique to seeing a Grand Opening. Especially when it was expected to be perhaps the biggest grossing movie of the year. It's a chance for the parents to play hero on the relative cheap. I remember seeing the premier of Jaws. It evokes stellar memories. Unfortunately in this tragic case it will provide the backdrop for nightmares for all involved. Positive thoughts and healing wishes for all involved. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Expect more calls in some quarters for gun ownership controls/bans. Crimes such as this are often politicized. >>

more people die in automobile accidents. we should restrict that and make everyone ride bicycles. theyve been wanting to do something about the obesity problem, well, there it is. jmo
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately there is absolutely no way to safeguard yourself or loved ones from these types of terrorist acts, its the world we live in and there are many people who walk our streets who are well capable of doing these things.

Enjoy your life and dont drive yourself crazy trying to minimize risk to the extreme, ofcourse be aware of your surroundings and be on alert in public but again there is zero chance of being safe from these type of actions as they can happen anywhere anytime.

Prayers to the victims in this nightmare.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you implement gun restrictions now?

Isn't it about 50 years too late.

Everyone's got one (or more).

Here in Canada if someone cuts me off on the highway, I don't think twice about giving that person the finger.
    If I was driving in the US, no way I'd do that else they'd take a gun out of their glove compartment and open fire.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>How can you implement gun restrictions now?

Isn't it about 50 years too late.

Everyone's got one (or more).

Here in Canada if someone cuts me off on the highway, I don't think twice about giving that person the finger.
    If I was driving in the US, no way I'd do that else they'd take a gun out of their glove compartment and open fire. >>

image When I visited Montreal I cant count the amount of times a Canadian gave us the finger, and your right because we gave the finger right back and for good measure a nice loud "F U" right back and nobody pulled out a gun.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    lol...what happen to the good old days when a simple fu settled it and everyone went on their way?

I can see this leading to being TSA'd before going into any event, and being charged a "fee" to fund it.

• Options
    Sympathy extended to the famillies.
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Though, I feel that these killings will continue to happen until some restrictions are applied. JMHO >>

There are tons of restrictions. Criminals don't care about law until they are caught.
  • Options
    There are tons of restrictions. Criminals don't care about law until they are caught

What's the NRA's standard reply? Guns don't kill people...people with guns kill people.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a few of the movie goers had been packing the shooter could have been taken down before he shot 79 people and killing 12,,,,,,, so far. Several wounded are in critical condition.

Banning gun ownership is NOT the answer. Criminals don't obey laws.

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    The movie is rated PG-13. Enough said.
  • Options
    The movie is rated PG-13. Enough said

Not to argue the point, but what liberal determines what is fit for a 13 year old to view these days? From what I understand, the movie has scenes of mass carnage in public places, sexual content and frequent "abuse of the English language" i'll call it.
    Is a 13 year old ready to be allowed to view those types of things, even if it is a movie? My answer is and will remain a resounding NO no matter what some critic determines it to be.
    I determine what my child will see in a movie theater, tv, concert, etc., and it is my opinion that if all parents took this stance, would the agenices that currently determine a move rating become more liberal, or get the message and rate a movie accurately, and not in a manner to draw the most revenue a movie possibly can by allowing the above mentioned scenes to be passed off as acceptable for someone under 13.

By that's just my opinion as being the Father of a 12 year old girl image
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree. But it is also up to the theaters to uphold it too, and most of the people working there are teenagers as well!
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>lol...what happen to the good old days when a simple fu settled it and everyone went on their way?

I can see this leading to being TSA'd before going into any event, and being charged a "fee" to fund it. >>

Been happening at nfl games here for years already.
  • Options
    I agree VikingDude. We get (the protection) what we pay for. That's why I said we're going to start being TSA'd before going into theaters even more now...and a fee will be charged to fund it.
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it reminds me to use more common sense than ever. Taking young children (reports say many 6-9 year olds) were out at a MIDNIGHT showing of the movie??? What in the hell are those parents thinking???
    Trust me, I realize they are victims and my sympathy goes out to them and I will pray for them, (and I hope that you do too) but taking your 6 year old to see a midnight premiere of ANYTHING, even if it were a Disney movie, is assinine! Putting young children in late night situations can lead to thses kinds of matters. >>

Was waiting for this from the media but here is the facts.

1. The children had nothing to do with this tragedy. The parents stated the could not get or afford a sitter at that time.
    2. A gun did not cause this either. I can put a gun in front of me all day and it will not move.

Putting young children in late night situations can lead to thses kinds of matters. >>

The above line makes no sense. Did the parents know an idiot was lurking?

Sorry about the reply, maybe it was the timing but the wrong message is being sent.
  • Options
    From the Dark Knight:

Wayne: Criminals aren't complicated Alfred, we just need to find out what he's after.

Alfred: With respect Mr. Wayne, perhaps this is a man you don't fully understand. A long time ago, I was in Burma. My friends and I were working for the local govt.. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forrest by a bandit. So we went looking for the stones. But in 6 months, we never met anyone who traded with him.
    One day, my search over plane saw a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

Wayne: So why steal them?

Alfred: Well, because he thought it was good sport, because, some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Call me crazy, but I feel this scene played a part in the decision to carry out what unfortunately happened in CO.
  • Options
    silverman68...did you see where I did initially say, unedited, that I do realize the people in the theater are victims?

ok, let me see if I understand your reasoning. Not being able to get a babysitter to selfishly want to see a premiere movie justifys taking a 6 year old to the theater at MIDNIGHT?
    I wont even argue that reasoning because I can not remotely relate to that way of thinking when it comes to the safety and protection of my child...you win.
  • Options

<< <i>If a few of the movie goers had been packing the shooter could have been taken down before he shot 79 people and killing 12,,,,,,, so far. Several wounded are in critical condition.

JMHO, GrandAm image >>

Brilliant idea.

Now we have two, three maybe four people all firing guns in the dark.

Yea, that'll work for sure.

Absolutely typical U.S. gun loving response.

I'll have to remember to buy a flak jacket next time I visit the States.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant idea.

That is a specious argument, at best. In order to carry a concealed weapon, you have to demonstrate some degree of personal responsibility - and also understand that you will be held accountable for any discharge of your weapon, even in defense of yourself or others. It's also being taught, rightly so, that use of a firearm is appropriate when yourself or others are in immediate danger of serious injury or death by another individual. You are also obligated to warn the individual to stop, before you shoot the SOB.

The ahole in Colorado showed a level of pre-planning enough that you can't make any argument against gun ownership or gun possession. If he hadn't had access to guns, he might have decided to fire-bxmb the place. Along with the teargas, for good measure.

And for the record, how many people could have been saved if 3 or 4 more people had taken aim at the SOB, even in the dark? You make it sound like any gun owner is a reckless cowboy with no regard for anything. Wrong, sorry. Most people who go to the trouble of buying a gun, paying for a class, and then paying for a concealed carry permit actually know why they are doing so and have actually acknowledged that scenarios like this one are EXACTLY the reason that responsible citizens should carry a weapon.

For the record, I rarely carry a gun and when I do it still doesn't feel normal. I usually feel safe when I go most places, and I admit to having a false sense of security. As has already been mentioned, criminals never care about the rules and in most cases they laugh at the laws most of us feel compelled to follow. If you take a look at that little prxck's picture, his smirk is identical to Bin Laden's smirk in the immediately taken post-911 videos of him. This had nothing to do with guns, and everything to do with evil.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Brilliant idea.

That is a specious argument, at best. In order to carry a concealed weapon, you have to demonstrate some degree of personal responsibility - and also understand that you will be held accountable for any discharge of your weapon, even in defense of yourself or others. It's also being taught, rightly so, that use of a firearm is appropriate when yourself or others are in immediate danger of serious injury or death by another individual. You are also obligated to warn the individual to stop, before you shoot the SOB.

The ahole in Colorado showed a level of pre-planning enough that you can't make any argument against gun ownership or gun possession. If he hadn't had access to guns, he might have decided to fire-bxmb the place. Along with the teargas, for good measure.

And for the record, how many people could have been saved if 3 or 4 more people had taken aim at the SOB, even in the dark? You make it sound like any gun owner is a reckless cowboy with no regard for anything. Wrong, sorry. Most people who go to the trouble of buying a gun, paying for a class, and then paying for a concealed carry permit actually know why they are doing so and have actually acknowledged that scenarios like this one are EXACTLY the reason that responsible citizens should carry a weapon.

For the record, I rarely carry a gun and when I do it still doesn't feel normal. I usually feel safe when I go most places, and I admit to having a false sense of security. As has already been mentioned, criminals never care about the rules and in most cases they laugh at the laws most of us feel compelled to follow. If you take a look at that little prxck's picture, his smirk is identical to Bin Laden's smirk in the immediately taken post-911 videos of him. This had nothing to do with guns, and everything to do with evil. >>

Many points you make I agree with and many I don't. Too long and drawn out to discuss.

What I will say is this....

I'm glad Canada has gun controls.

Having said this, I'm against the US having gun controls.

Not that it's a bad idea but rather and this is my point, that it is way too late to implement gun controls on the US citizens.

It just wouldn't work.

Too many have guns already.

Too many have lived generations with guns in their families.

And if the gov't enacted a law to hand them in, maybe the good citizens would turn over their guns, but the criminals, the 'evil' people would keep theirs.

A further imbalance of gun power that would lead to even more crime and chaos in the streets.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If a few of the movie goers had been packing the shooter could have been taken down before he shot 79 people and killing 12,,,,,,, so far. Several wounded are in critical condition.

JMHO, GrandAm image >>

Brilliant idea.

I'll have to remember to buy a flak jacket next time I visit the States. >>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guy shot 79 people killing 12. People were cowering in their seats playing dead,,,,,, just hoping not to get shot next. If someone had been armed and shot back taking out this SOB how many people could have been saved?

How many of these cowards would think twice about committing such an evil act if they were aliitle more afraid that there might be someone there who would shoot back? This guy was a COWARD! What did he do when confronted by the police,,, he gave-up. He didn't want to die. He didn't shoot it out with police,,,,,, he gave up.

What would I do if put in that type of a situation,,,,,, I would shoot back. I wouldn't be hiding under a seat playing dead hoping not to get shot next. Having someone there with a gun would have saved lives. Do I want to shoot someone? NO!!!! But would I want to be shot? Again no. It is the person who chooses to kill the innocent people who is at fault here,,,,,, not a gun owner who would try to protect himself and his family. Once someone makes the decision to open fire on a single person or a group of people it is the right of the affected people to defend themselves. I can't imagine the horror of being a parent in that theater with my children and being powerless to do anything to save my children. Given a choice at that point in that situation what would your decision be? Would you opt for the gun or would you stand on your principles against gun ownership? I bet at that point you would sell your soul to have a gun strapped on you hip???

When Japan bombed Pearl Harbor they didn't try to invade the mainland. Why was that? Japanese leaders were asked that question after the war ended. Their answer was that they knew most Americans were armed and that and invasion stood very little chance of success and their losses would be too great. How many American lives were saved because the Japanese knew we as Americans were well armed?

I have had a personal protection permit for 35 years and I won't apoligze for it.

And yes I am a typical U.S. gun loving REDNECK and would not have it any other way!!!!!

JMHO, GrandAm image
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    71 year old Man shoots robbers

It can work and I'm glad I live in a part of my city where most carry.

The not out after midnight thing I also agree with because that's when the drunks tend to drive. Having lived on a major busy street I've seen it.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Actually I would be surprised if the 71 yr old man doesn't end up facing charges. He contuined to shoot at and pursue the robbers after they were fleeing.

Once they are in retreat you are supposed to backoff.

I hope he doesn't face charges but I fear with the way anti-gun haters are they will push authorities to press charges.

Kinda like in the George Zimmerman shooting. Charges were only filed after a public outcry. In this case I am not sure what is right as all the facts are not clearly defined.

GrandAm image
  • Options
    What I find humorous is that people actually believe that a gun control policy could have helped or changed this sensless tragedy.

Anywhere in the world regardless of the law you can obtain a firearm if you set your mind to it.

IF someone in the theatre had a gun it wouldnt have made much of a difference either way however in that extreme situation I would have no problem with an individual attempting to kill this scumbag, if one of his bullets struck a moviegoer I am sure that in any court in the United States this would be dismissed as the intent was to stop the massacre, ofcourse a civil lawsuit might be a different matter.

This whole subject has absolutely nothing to do with gun control it has everything to do with the capabilities of certain human beings- case closed.
  • Options
    This whole subject has absolutely nothing to do with gun control it has everything to do with the capabilities of certain human beings- case closed.

In the local newspaper, a woman going to see the movie was interviewed and says, (first thing out of her mouth) "This is why we need more afforable health care. The shooter was obviously deranged and being able to treat his illness may have prevented this tragedy."

Sounds to me like someone has an agenda of their own. image
  • Options
    "This is why we need more afforable health care. The shooter was obviously deranged and being able to treat his illness may have prevented this tragedy."

If I were a betting man, I would bet that the shooter is a product of a system in which he never had to face any consequences for anything he had ever done, until the day of the shooting.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>"This is why we need more afforable health care. The shooter was obviously deranged and being able to treat his illness may have prevented this tragedy."

If I were a betting man, I would bet that the shooter is a product of a system in which he never had to face any consequences for anything he had ever done, until the day of the shooting. >>

I don't think I'd blame society on this one.

Back in the day when parents could slap their kids, teachers had the strap and policemen could use the billy club, we still had senseless acts of mass violence.

Bottom line is, either way gun control or not, you can't control these very sporadic, random, planned senseless acts of mass violence.

I'm just glad I'm in a country where my everyday ho-hum life doesn't involve or require a gun in everyone's pocket.

• Options
    I don't think I'd blame society on this one.

I probably would - more specifically, his parents or the educational system(s) where he attended. If you look at his photograph, his smirk tells it all - life is a joke. No consequences.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think I'd blame society on this one.

I probably would - more specifically, his parents or the educational system(s) where he attended. >>

Your kidding right? Every human being knows right from wrong, ofcourse deranged subjects like this obviously does not however the only blame is on this scumbag.

I mean we are talking about a well educated intelligent person here, not some recluse that was locked in a closet his whole life only sniffing daylight when he escaped his dungeon.
  • Options
    Blaming his parents or school makes as much sense as blaming guns, or a society that allows guns - doesn't it? I'm waiting for the facts to surface, and then we'll be able to make the argument or not. In the meantime, this scumbag isn't worth any more of my attention.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Back in the day when parents could slap their kids, teachers had the strap and policemen could use the billy club, we still had senseless acts of mass violence

yeah, but it made you think twice about doing it at least.
  • Options
    Double Eagle

I get where you are coming from. However, things like this can happen anywhere at anytime..........even Canada. The Dawson College shooting in Montreal comes to mind. I spend a a lot of time in Canada and I feel no safer there then I do in the US.

I'm actually sursprised that these things don't happen more often. Thank goodness.

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Double Eagle

I get where you are coming from. However, things like this can happen anywhere at anytime..........even Canada. The Dawson College shooting in Montreal comes to mind. I spend a a lot of time in Canada and I feel no safer there then I do in the US.

I'm actually sursprised that these things don't happen more often. Thank goodness.

MJ >>

I totally agree.

Exactly what I said in my last post..........." Bottom line is, either way gun control or not, you can't control these very sporadic, random, planned senseless acts of mass violence."

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Double Eagle

MJ >>

I totally agree.

Exactly what I said in my last post..........." Bottom line is, either way gun control or not, you can't control these very sporadic, random, planned senseless acts of mass violence." >>

I missed that! MJ