Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1870-CC Seated Half Found With Metal Detector

I'm a metal detecorist and frequent several different forums. I came across this one and thought I'd share. It's not often you see someone find the coin, grade it, and then list it for sale on HA!

The thread about the find:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=116998

The Auction:

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1173&lotIdNo=191001#Photo

I'll be watching this one. Can't wait to see where it ends.
Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    amazing
    that guys get tha metal detecting you suck probably of the year...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    Very cool.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    That's a "you suck" and a half. How does an 1870-CC half dollar in this state of preservation make it all the way to upstate NY, especially given its scarcity? Presumably it wasn't lost by a collector, bu I guess you never know.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I think 20k is a bit of a dream but it is a very cool find
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think 20k is a bit of a dream but it is a very cool find >>

Agreed. But at auction we will find out what it is worth. Especially we will find out if the auction exceeds the $5K offer.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the Numismedia retail priceline for an 1870-CC half...probably has a shot at $20k IMHO.

FMV Prices (Good-MS60)
    G4 - $1,380
    VG8 - $2,910
    F12 - $4,500
    VF20 - $8,610
    XF40 - $15,630
    AU50 - $27,810
    AU53 - $34,060
    AU55 - $51,880
    AU58 - $61,880
    MS60 - $85,630
    MS62 - $168,750
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    I bet he does over double the five-thousand. I am guessing anyway. 12,500! image
  • Options

<< <i>That's a "you suck" and a half. How does an 1870-CC half dollar in this state of preservation make it all the way to upstate NY, especially given its scarcity? Presumably it wasn't lost by a collector, bu I guess you never know. >>

I got asked that same question when i found my CC seated dime in near AU here in Pa. After thinking about that it seems reasonable people did strike out west from the east and would have returned at various times to thier hometowns for lots of reasons.I do believe that was a dug coin , it's very similar in to the dime with its black mottled appearance.
  • Options
    I would say 5500-7500 so depending on the rate he got he might not net 5k IMO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking like crypto79, maybe netting $5 - 7.5K

Really nice find regardless.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar pieces have sold in the $12k to $18k range. I'd be shocked if this one sells for under $10k.
  • Options

<< <i>Similar pieces have sold in the $12k to $18k range. I'd be shocked if this one sells for under $10k. >>

The thing about problem coins is that you can't just look at comps, you have to look at damage levels and collector base that can afford a 5 digit coin that doesn't mind one that looks like chewed bubble gum. While the CC adds to the collector base for people working on CC sets the 70cc isn't a surpream rarity and problem free coins can be had. Now if it was an AU details 70cc quarter I would agree with the price range. All of that said we shall see and I could be dead wrong.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Nice find. Seems all I have found was modern change, drink cans, and shot gun shells. That guy doesn't sell metal detectors does he? image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    I find this completely hilarious "Environmental Damage"

What's toning?

Personally, I don't find it, toning, the least bit appealing.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I find this completely hilarious "Environmental Damage" >>

Completely hilarious? Are you suggesting this is **not** environmental damage?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is a way cool find. you never do know what your gonna dig up while your out there.
  • Options
    PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I find this completely hilarious "Environmental Damage" >>

Completely hilarious? Are you suggesting this is **not** environmental damage? >>

Don't be silly.

Are you suggesting "toning" is NOT environmental damage?
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    Found with a cheap Ace 250, and it's the first silver coin the guy ever found. This story is astounding.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing find!
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing find.

I've been detecting for years and never hit a seated $1/2
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were me, I'd probably be happier with a problem free VF20 of this date ($8610). But if there are 2 like-minded people that don't feel the damage is that extensive,
    they might pucker up and bid high.

The only 1870-cc half I ever "found" I ran across in the back of Coin World in a mail bid sale in the mid-1970's. While it wasn't found with a metal detector it was sort of neat to
    pick up a perfect orig F-15 for $175. Funny thing is that it was a slow seller when I priced it at $225. Took me a few months to finally sell it. Also found a beat up 1870-cc 25c
    the same way - CW mail bid sale. That one cost me about $150 back then (corroded VG with hits). There wasn't that much competition back then.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    didnt even hit 5k - sorta disappointing. But as others have said - it is 100% profit for the finder!
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming that the MDer found this in or near Jamesville, N.Y. (outlying suburb of Syracuse), it is remarkably coincidental that this is very close to where the 1817/4 Capped Bust half was found near Cazenovia, N.Y. about 3 years ago in fill dirt by a landscaping contractor. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    The interesting part of this whole ordeal is that the detectorist used an entry level Garrett Ace 250 model to find that coin. Just goes to show that sometimes it doesn't matter what type of equipment you use.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting how the auction almost exactly matched the $5k offer. Of course the previous owner won't see all of that $5k after HA takes their cut.
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting how the auction almost exactly matched the $5k offer. Of course the previous owner won't see all of that $5k after HA takes their cut. >>

Plus the money he's out in grading fees & shipping. Can't fault him for wanting to try it on the open market.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I can see a lot of crud but not any pitting. Perhaps the buyer sends it off to the same TGP for conserving, in the hops its okay under the skin/ crud.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the link to that completed auction

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Not a bad price for something some guy dug up. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Why did the auction description say

was likely recovered from soil

(emphasis added)

• Options
    saw this little guy sunday. so it will be traveling to a few shows in my area is seems

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Anyone can recommend some cheap metal detector online sales? I am looking for a beginner metal detector.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    There are many threads on the MD forum about buying a detector. I suggest you search there.

As for the coin, so many things happening during that era which could explain the journey to NY ... let us not forget all the soldiers returning home from the war ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Found with a cheap Ace 250, and it's the first silver coin the guy ever found. This story is astounding. >>

geeze, over twenty years of detecting and I never found anything like this!
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely some good coins in the dirt..... takes a lot of work...but it is fun. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The only thing I got of significance metal detecting was a sunburn.

I did find a metal washer the size of a quarter and an old beer can pull tab.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first I thought this was a new thread about yet another 70CC find... ha.
    The first thing I ever found as a kid with my cheap Radio Shack detector was an empty tube of Permatex gasket sealer. image
    I did find an 1883 Seated Lib dime in some freshly turned-over dirt at a local park though. That was the only seated piece- and oldest coin- I ever found, but over time I found a few other cool things- rings, misc. trinkets and some spendable coinage. Not bad for a $50 MD I guess. Too bad I didn't save all the pull tabs I found... the scrap aluminum probably would have financed a good detector!

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    i've seen a couple scarce CC dimes recently found by detecting as the stories go

by the looks of the coins, the stories were believable. high au/xf corroded details, just like the half

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file