Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The European coin market...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
To what extent has the ongoing turmoil in Europe impacted the coin market in those countries? Let's hear some reports from around the world!
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality pieces are still selling strong in Spain and not as many large collections hitting the market as I was anticipating due to the debt crisis.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strong hands are still strong hands, just have to wait it out and maybe a few collections will pop up. I dont track alot of the high end stuff overseas, but my international sales have spiked. Alot of German coins going to Japan.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    jinx, any idea why the japanese would be buying german coins?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea, just seems to be what Im shipping there lately. Havent googled the towns to see if this is some local fad or anything, but never know what can spur buying.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    The following is based on my own experiences and observations - so it may be a bit anecdotal, but...

High grade material seems scarcely affected, with the sole exception of modern Greek, but even this isn't falling to bargain basement levels. Lower and even mid grade material, particularly stuff that isn't scarce, does seem to have taken a hit. It seems that many collectors around the world have taken on the maxim of 'quality, quality, quality'. A lot of the initial over-enthusiasm amongst collectors of Chinese, Indian, Russian and other 'hot' countries has levelled - junk coins once again bring junk prices, but really nice pieces continue to bring high prices (mind you, I largely deal in junk coins image ). Some additional observations - Hong Kong material doesn't seem to do as well as Chinese Imperial or Republic, and nineteenth century Indonesian coins still seem a bit weak. Finally, a lot of Turkish, Argentine and Egyptian material seems to bring strong prices these days...

Oh, and a last minute correction - all French and Norwegian pieces still seem to bring pretty good prices, including scarce but low grade early material.