Home Precious Metals
Options

WOW !! Take a look at this for an Economic side note or is it the Tinanic striking the.....

Comments

• Options
    These are rather amazing numbers on the SSDI. What do ypu think?

Here is an excerpt from the article:

"Amazingly, while fewer Americans are working than at the end of 2008, 3.6 million Americans have been awarded SSDI benefits over the same period. The growing number of people on disability and other federal benefits, combined with weak economic growth, raises serious concerns about the sustainability of the American economy," Senator Jeff Sessions, ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, says in a statement in response to these new numbers.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raises serious concerns about the sustainability of the American economy

I think it raises serious concerns about the entitlement system. A system that will be changed or it will fail. Either way, it will not exist in its current form, so those looking for indefinate continuation of the problem will be wrong.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Agreed, This is Obamanable and it can not and will not go on much longer or Schiff's predictions will certainly come to pass. It may already be too late to stop it.

Added: Have you heard the recent come get your health care ads (public service announcements) playing just starting last week. This administration is using it for a campaign ad and the sorry thing about it, it will work.

Hey I want my Obama bucks, don't vote against my Obama bucks etc etc.... we are head right into the mouth of Hell as far as a Sovereign, Free, and Republic Nation.

With Liberty and Money for All !!!! ...... Until it All Implodes image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Of course. Been going on a long time. A decade ago when my dad worked for the local gov, the workers would "retire" at age 50 by going out on "disability." They even had retirement parties for them with cakes. Scheduled disability.

There was never any intent to work until 62 1/2 and qualify for reduced retirement benefits. They thought dad was strange because he was 69 and working. He thought it was strange for able-bodied people to go to pasture at age 50.
  • Options

<< <i>Of course. Been going on a long time. A decade ago when my dad worked for the local gov, the workers would "retire" at age 50 by going out on "disability." They even had retirement parties for them with cakes. Scheduled disability.

There was never any intent to work until 62 1/2 and qualify for reduced retirement benefits. They thought dad was strange because he was 69 and working. He thought it was strange for able-bodied people to go to pasture at age 50. >>

Yes I worked for a city government once as a young man and I was eager to put my schooling to use. I was eager to be a tremendous benefit to my community, but it just didn't seem like that philosophy was held but by about 30% of the employees. While planning a city project one day a Superintendent made a very telling comment "aren't we all just here to retire" as a young man that really opened my eyes to the whys of things ie, why it always took soooo long to get anything done (projects started and actually completed). It was a comment that I never forgot and answered a lot of unasked questions, and the reasons for the inaction and unconcern that seemed to permeate the work environment. That man had a B.S. in Enginneering and had just recently been a Lt. Colonel in the U.S. Air Force. As a young man I had held him in much higher regard until that comment came forth.

The Public Employee Moto : "Aren't We All Just Here To Retire" I hope he reads this. image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Of course. Been going on a long time. A decade ago when my dad worked for the local gov, the workers would "retire" at age 50 by going out on "disability." They even had retirement parties for them with cakes. Scheduled disability.

There was never any intent to work until 62 1/2 and qualify for reduced retirement benefits. They thought dad was strange because he was 69 and working. He thought it was strange for able-bodied people to go to pasture at age 50. >>

Yes I worked for a city government once as a young man and I was eager to put my schooling to use. I was eager to be a tremendous benefit to my community, but it just didn't seem like that philosophy was held but by about 30% of the employees. While planning a city project one day a Superintendent made a very telling comment "aren't we all just here to retire" as a young man that really opened my eyes to the whys of things ie, why it always took soooo long to get anything done (projects started and actually completed). It was a comment that I never forgot and answered a lot of unasked questions, and the reasons for the inaction and unconcern that seemed to permeate the work environment. That man had a B.S. in Enginneering and had just recently been a Lt. Colonel in the U.S. Air Force. As a young man I had held him in much higher regard until that comment came forth.

The Public Employee Moto : "Aren't We All Just Here To Retire" I hope he reads this. image >>

It's no different in industry except the goals are short term. A longer coffee break,
    fresh donuts, early quits, and lots of not doing anything at all are what employees
    work for on the rare occasion anything is done. It's a concern for the next paycheck
    rather than retirement.

I guess government jobs are just more secure.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Added: Have you heard the recent come get your health care ads (public service announcements) playing just starting last week. >>

Haven't noticed or heard that one, but have heard the PSA for CalFresh (California food stamp program) which sounds like everybody should sign up for.
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Added: Have you heard the recent come get your health care ads (public service announcements) playing just starting last week. >>

Haven't noticed or heard that one, but have heard the PSA for CalFresh (California food stamp program) which sounds like everybody should sign up for. >>

Iv'e heard that one too, this new one sounds just the same, probably created by the same ad agency. I have never seen a time like this that our Federal Government
    is actively pursuing participants for tax payer giveaways. Its like the ambulance chasing attorney ads. Sadly America is probably over as we know it, if this Administration gets one more War on America term.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    All those depressed unemployed are claiming depression as a disability. Seems logical.

Depression Disability Benefits
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    SSDI is not an entitlement...you paid into it.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SSDI is not an entitlement...you paid into it. >>

Insurance policy required by law. You pay into it nowhere near what you take from it. The rest of America foots the bill with their required insurance premiums. Dramatic increase in claims will only bring SS to its knees much sooner.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Agreed! But all I said that it is not entitlement.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I like to think of these programs as quantitative easing on a monthly basis. Every month millions are poured back into the economy and stimulates economic activity and hey, they don’t have to wait for it to trickle down.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    The only way to avoid this systemic problem is for everyone to stop paying taxes. Oh wait, I've got to pay taxes because my success is not a result of my hard work, but rather it's the result of government.image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Even with 18000 new agents, they can't catch us all, K. The only way to win the game, is not to pay. The illegals and leeches have it right. Get the kids "disabled" early on, and they're set for life. The rest- well, Obama and McCain can't take what they can't find.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a Tinanic?image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got to pay taxes because my success is not a result of my hard work, but rather it's the result of government.

I propose that every welfare recipient switch places with a business owner whose success is "because of the government" for at least 1 month. All business owners and key people could get free welfare money while doing *nothing* for the entire monthimage, while the welfare herd could run things for the same month.

I'm guessing that things wouldn't work out very well, except for the people getting freebies for doing nothing.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over 40% of the national debt is owed to the Federal Reserve, owed to private bankers.

All it takes is a vote in congress to cancel it.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>I've got to pay taxes because my success is not a result of my hard work, but rather it's the result of government.

I propose that every welfare recipient switch places with a business owner whose success is "because of the government" for at least 1 month. All business owners and key people could get free welfare money while doing *nothing* for the entire monthimage, while the welfare herd could run things for the same month.

I'm guessing that things wouldn't work out very well, except for the people getting freebies for doing nothing. >>

Is your name Ayn Rand?

BTW, who is John Galt?
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Over 40% of the national debt is owed to the Federal Reserve, owed to private bankers. All it takes is a vote in congress to cancel it. >>

Hah. I thought it was something like that, and when it got really bad, there would be some compromise agreement, just like CC's do with customers who can't pay.

I have a bad back and go to work everyday. I see others staying at home on disability or unemployment and working round the house and on projects all day. That makes me depressed.

COA
  • Options
    Actually I think the treasury has the option to buy the fed at any time for about $5000. From the original creating docs.