Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SHATTERED! A Look At Some Reeded Edge Half Dollars

TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
By now many folks on the boards are aware that I simply adore the RE half dollar series, but not all realize that I was a teenager in 1978 when the Rolling Stones released “Some Girls”. On that album was a track that many consider the Stone’s interpretation of the early punk scene and it was titled “Shattered”. Truly, I know of no one who would consider this song to be either lyrically or musically deep, but I have historically found the beat to be infectious (or, to some, no doubt relentless) and every time I look at RE half dollars with cracked dies the song pops into my head. Perhaps this is my 1970s numismatic curse, but I will happily pass it along to you if you would like to see and hear a 1978 live performance in Texas of the song in a safe-for-work link-

Shattered

If you prefer a YouTube video then the following is the same song, but it appears to have a commercial embedded into the first few seconds of the video prior to the song’s beginning-

Shattered on YouTube

Recently, Realone shared with us a few images of a wonderful half-dime and dime that had cracked or shattered obverse dies. Here are a few images of RE half dollars with similar features that may be interesting to people on the boards. I have also added some information as to the extent of the crack and die marriage. Please enjoy responsibly.

1837 JR-8
This might be thought of as a lightning bolt going through Ms. Liberty on the obverse with a crack starting at about 1:00 o’clock on the obverse rim and traveling through the cap, the L of LIBERTY in the headband and into the forehead with another crack close by starting near the back end of the eye and going downward through the face and lips to exit through the bottom of the chin and into the field above the bust. Other cracks are around the date and bottom portion of the bust. The reverse has a dramatic, sweeping crack from the N in CENTS through the olive branch, the adjacent wingtip and into UNITED. There is also one heck of a die chip in the reverse shield.

Larger obverse and reverse images-

Obverse
Reverse

1838 JR-1
This coin has cracks that are cool as all get-out. The obverse has a crack that starts between stars 5 and six, but nearer star 6, that swoops down into the forehead of Ms. Liberty just above her eye, travels through the T of LIBERTY in the headband and exits through the left portions of star 7 out through the rim. It is paired with a reverse die that has a massive set of cracks that intersect within the eagle near the junction of the body, wing and leg. One crack starts from the rim, goes through the T in UNITED, travels toward and into the wing before turning dramatically downward to exit through the arrow feathers, tip of the claw and between OL in DOL to the rim. The other major crack enters the other side of the reverse between the RI in AMERICA, goes through the near wing, bisects the shield and then meets up with the previous crack to split the reverse into three distinct segments.

Obverse
Reverse

1838 JR-16
Here is a new addition to my little hoard of RE half dollars that was happily picked up off the BST in a smooth, problem-free and completely accurately described transaction from dizzyfoxx. Some might think this coin shares the same reverse die as the JR-1 shown earlier, but indeed, they are different. The obverse crack is minor on this coin and won’t be discussed, but the reverse has a very thick, cool, lumpy crack coming from the rim through the D in UNITED and diagonally through the upper portion of the wing into the center of the shield before turning downward slightly to arc through the arrows, a claw and through or between OL in DOL before exiting the rim. This particular coin also exhibits very strong roller marks around 7:00 o’clock on the reverse that extend toward the center of the reverse and result in less detail as-struck in this portion of the design. I think they are a cool artifact of the US Mint and its early struggles with the then new steam press while others may find the roller marks distracting. Some die marriages are more commonly found with these planchet roller streaking marks while others are generally not known with this feature.

Larger reverse image-

Reverse

1839-O JR-1
Truly, this coin is the crown jewel of my little accumulation of this quirky series and those who are willing to enter this niche will find out very quickly how difficult a coin this can be when certain standards are in place. There are myriad die cracks on this coin that are most easily seen on the obverse if one looks at the lower portion of the numbers in the date. This crack enters the lower portion of the bust, exits to join up with star 1 and then dances lightly around the obverse to join the remaining stars. The reverse cracks are easier to visualize and might start as a break in from the rim at 7:00 o’clock between a pair of olive leaves. The crack then splits with one avenue going up through the leaves, the wingtip, under UNI of UNITED before entering the adjacent letter T and traversing the remainder of the legend before exiting the rim at the C of AMERICA. The other avenue of the crack mentioned previously goes through HALF DOL and into the arrow tips.

Obverse
Reverse
Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    very informative and I'm drooling over the RE halves
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time, and putting in the effort to present a very informative introduction to this thread. I sold off my Reeded Edge Bust Half Dollars because it was nearly impossible to attribute them. With the die cracks showing on your coins it would be easier to attribute them. Nice presentation.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hummm,don't remember the stones releasing ...some girls...Or did i miss something?
    forgot to mention ................real nice RE's.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EXCELLENT grouping, absolutely gorgeous!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post, thanks Tom.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible RE ladies, Tom!!!
    Love your descriptions!!!!
    Your book should be a real hit!!! image
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On that album was a track that many consider the Stone’s interpretation of the early punk scene and it was titled “Shattered”. >>

Tom, how do we not know that perhaps Mick was/is a "closet" numismatist and was actually writing about RE halves? image
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Tom,

That 1839-O is a really WOW! kind of coin.

(I really love the early O-mint coins.)

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Wow, Just wow. I love them all but the 38 JR1 is a jewel for sure. Thank you for sharing. Also surprised you didn't mention the RPM south on the 39o
  • Options
    StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    Very nice presentation. I've always been a Skynyrd man myself, but great post!
  • Options
    GABGAB Posts: 641
    I suspect some of these die got a few too many "test runs" on the new steam presses, before they got everything dialed in just right.
    Might be one of the reasons for such a short/crazy series ??
    Golf time!!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    top of the stack bump for those who missed it
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent Tom! Just love the crustiness to boot.

I can see that you and Realone are headed for an unavoidable "crackdown."
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    sweet re's there tom
    great lil read too...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, Tom! I'm honored to have my old 1838 OGH RE coin as part of the discussion.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Those are what I would call outstanding! Just the look I like in old silver coins.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadoobie!
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful RE halves TomB. I'm a sucker for cracked dies.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭

Great coins and writeup! Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Good gosh I want a 39O Half really bad.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post. Driving back from Nantucket today and can't wait to get my book when I get back home today!

John
  • Options

Stones Rule!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file