Home Precious Metals

If you had $6,000 to put into Silver to just sit on loooong term.

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
If you had $6,000 to put into Silver to just sit on long term, where would you put it?

I had this question asked to me today and since I am still learning I figure I would get your opinion.

Thanks,
Ray

Comments

• Personally I'd mirror what the central banks are doing and that is buying on the dips. It seems as though they have enough of an influence or presense in the market that when they sell, prices go down and when they buy prices go up. I hear people talking about Silver getting down to the low 20's but I don't believe this will happen. I think that now is the time to buy, and I would buy physical (Especially when speaking in terms of 6k). In my opinion the price of silver might dip down to 25, but it is sure to rebound to the mid 30's within the next year.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    ASE's
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can get maples for a buck less than ase's, I'd buy those and get the few extra.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be tempted to buy a few sealed rolls of the bullion ATBs from Apmex, the rolls that Apmex seals and guarantees to be unpicked and fresh from a new box.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can get maples for a buck less than ase's, I'd buy those and get the few extra. >>

When it comes time to sell, don't they bring a buck less than what the ASE's bring?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I can get maples for a buck less than ase's, I'd buy those and get the few extra.

Buy American, go with the ASE image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you had $6,000 to put into Silver to just sit on long term, where would you put it?
    >>

A roll each of common-date BU Morgans and Peace dollars, a roll each of AU/BU walking liberty halves and mercury dimes, a roll or two of BU '64 Kennedy halves, and several rolls each of BU Franklin halves, Washington quarters and Roosevelt dimes, preferably original bank-wrapped rolls for these last items.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    He (The person that asked me the question) mentioned Morgan dollars (He's in his 60's) but I believe they carry a premium and you have to deal with the weight loss from wear. I told him, "probable American Silver Eagles" would be the best way to go. This way if he needed quick cash, he could move them locally if he so chose.

Thanks,
    Ray
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASEs or ATBs in mint tubes

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can get maples for a buck less than ase's, I'd buy those and get the few extra. >>

When it comes time to sell, don't they bring a buck less than what the ASE's bring? >>

Selling local to the b&m they're the same.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASE's or ATB bullion 5 ozers with a dash of Kooks image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd buy silver proof state quarters from the following states in this order
    1. Hawaii
    2. California
    3. New York
    4. Texas
    5. Tennessee

Actually, I'd just buy Hawaii if I could get my hands on enough of them. Hawaii proof quarters are Dynamite speculative holds(10-20 years) backstopped with silver content. These literally could be the coin play of the next decade or two. Total sleeper right now. Buy them by the roll, buy them 5 at a time from shops that have them and build rolls.

90%, nope, too much uncertainty with wear.
    ASE, nope, too much premium for nothing.

Have a nice day
  • Buy only KILO 1000 gram/ 32.15 troy ounce Ingot/Bars by Engelhard, JM, Johnson Matthey, Credit Suisse, Chiasso, Emirates Gold, and a few other highly respected refiners.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac

<< <i>Buy only KILO 1000 gram/ 32.15 troy ounce Ingot/Bars by Engelhard, JM, Johnson Matthey, Credit Suisse, Chiasso, Emirates Gold, and a few other highly respected refiners. >>

The 10 oz bars are easier to locate and are easier to buy and sell. Also, the math is easier.image Agree that it's important to buy recognized brands but your list is severely limited. I only see two American brands with the rest being foreign brands.

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He (The person that asked me the question) mentioned Morgan dollars (He's in his 60's) but I believe they carry a premium and you have to deal with the weight loss from wear. I told him, "probable American Silver Eagles" would be the best way to go. This way if he needed quick cash, he could move them locally if he so chose.

Thanks,
    Ray >>

"If you had $6,000 to put into Silver to just sit on long term, where would you put it?

I had this question asked to me today and since I am still learning I figure I would get your opinion.

Thanks,
    Ray"

image I'm wondering what is "long term" to a 60 year old?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • i agree i always buy ase or engelhard or one of the top brands but my ? is what is silver does go crazy and hit 100.00 or higher will anyone even give a crap what brand it is .....i know all the places around me pay the same no matter what it is (my thought is the higher it gets wil any forms hold a premium )

Randy
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    I'd buy silver proof state quarters from the following states in this order
    1. Hawaii
    2. California
    3. New York
    4. Texas
    5. Tennessee

streeter,

I don't follow these. What are your reasons?
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    ASEs would be best, in my opinion, from a wholesaler to get the best prices.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd buy silver proof state quarters from the following states in this order
    1. Hawaii
    2. California
    3. New York
    4. Texas
    5. Tennessee

streeter,

I don't follow these. What are your reasons? >>

#1- you can buy these at the silver value right now. Glut of state proof ag quarters on the market. Down the road...IMHO, people will buy these as collectible coins. It's going to take awhile.
    Commemoratives ...which these basically are--are many times overproduced in the beginning. After attrition(melting, improper storage, abuse) .. which will take awhile, these 5 states will probably rise to the top of the heap.
    The Hawaii coin will be the star...and don't overlook Hawaii's proximity to the Asia tourist trade. If Chinese money buys Hawaiian property like Japanese money did at one time...watch what happens to all things Hawaiian.

I have been an avid collector/accumulator of Hawaiian silver proof quarters. I probably paid too much for a lot of them because of the price of silver. A lot of silver proof quarters were melted as bullion. Hawaiian coins are bought by a lot of people outside of numismatics. They will account for a certain percentage of demand. Down the road this will be the key coin in the state quarter series. State quarters will be collectible ---but it might take a couple of decades image

The silver proof Hawaiian quarter can be bought for darn near spot and owning a roll or two or ten or a hundred is a no brainer for me. You may disagree. However, when these dry up ...people will look around and say..CAN YOU BELIEVE WHAT THOSE QUARTERS ARE SELLING FOR? If silver spot remains constant for XXX years, I doubt these quarters will.
    Have a nice day
  • JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    Make it enjoyable and a learning process.

Learn what types of silver have a premium and what is pure bullion.

Know the price of the silver that you want to buy.

Know the taxes, Tn. has a sales tax (9.25% in my county) on all coins and bullion. Fl. has a sales tax on bullion but only if the total is less than $500.

Have an exit plan.

Take $1000 and cruise the local shops, buy what you like.

Go back a week or two later to the "good" shops and buy some more......

Build a relationship with the "good" shops.

High premiums when you buy, generally, get high prices when you sell "RETAIL".

Or, order $6000 of silver from an online dealer and be done with it.

• << <i>

<< <i>Buy only KILO 1000 gram/ 32.15 troy ounce Ingot/Bars by Engelhard, JM, Johnson Matthey, Credit Suisse, Chiasso, Emirates Gold, and a few other highly respected refiners. >>

The 10 oz bars are easier to locate and are easier to buy and sell. Also, the math is easier.image Agree that it's important to buy recognized brands but your list is severely limited. I only see two American brands with the rest being foreign brands. >>

You are right of course. Actually I'm diversified in Silver, kilos, 50's, 10's, 5's, 1's, rounds, & 90%, but the kilo bars hold a cool factor for me and they are also recognized and readilly accepted world wide.

I was just throwing them out there because they hadn't been brought up yet as a viable alternative. In conclusion; a reasonable diversification would probably serve best as it does in most investment decisions.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would do ASEs, but Im biased. All of my silver holdings are ASEs.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He (The person that asked me the question) mentioned Morgan dollars (He's in his 60's) but I believe they carry a premium and you have to deal with the weight loss from wear. I told him, "probable American Silver Eagles" would be the best way to go. This way if he needed quick cash, he could move them locally if he so chose.

Thanks,
    Ray >>

"If you had $6,000 to put into Silver to just sit on long term, where would you put it?

Thanks,
    Ray"

image I'm wondering what is "long term" to a 60 year old? >>

You might want to try a box.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

<< <i>

<< <i>

The 10 oz bars are easier to locate and are easier to buy and sell. Also, the math is easier.image Agree that it's important to buy recognized brands but your list is severely limited. I only see two American brands with the rest being foreign brands. >>

You are right of course. Actually I'm diversified in Silver, kilos, 50's, 10's, 5's, 1's, rounds, & 90%, but the kilo bars hold a cool factor for me and they are also recognized and readilly accepted world wide.

I was just throwing them out there because they hadn't been brought up yet as a viable alternative. In conclusion; a reasonable diversification would probably serve best as it does in most investment decisions. >>

I agree with your approach and I also enjoy buying different name brands in various generations/styles and sizes. Nothing wrong with putting together a collection of interesting silver bullion bars and rounds as long as they are recognized brands and they are priced close to melt value.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% junk. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>90% junk. MJ >>

+1

Easy to buy and sell; low premiums; and everyone knows who assayed and minted it.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I would consider some Pandas. In the long term, they should be very appealing to Chinese people.
    The down side is that the mintage is going higher and higher.

Other than that, living in the US, ASE and 90% are the easiest play. (and with both you can average the premium)
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a concern for me how I buy it, just as long as I buy silver.

I'd buy $6000 in silver with the least premiums. (I'd personally stay away from 1 ounce coins or bars).

Probably buy 100 oz or 1 kilo bars.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

Later date 90% Halves and Quarters (or nice Walker Halves for close to melt). They can be had for melt or clost to it, have full or almost full silver weight, easily recognizable, easily traded in big or smaller amounts, and easy to store without risk of damage (think ASE milkspotting, etc).
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% junk, halves or quarters.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    10oz is my favourite size to premium ratio. You don't save a whole lot by moving up to kilo or 100oz bars, and they're about as liquid as you need. Other than a SHTF scenario, I can't imagine selling less than 10 oz of silver at a time.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

<< <i>10oz is my favourite size to premium ratio. You don't save a whole lot by moving up to kilo or 100oz bars, and they're about as liquid as you need. Other than a SHTF scenario, I can't imagine selling less than 10 oz of silver at a time. >>

There's no wrong answers here and silver is silver. That said, I never really cared for 90% junk silver coins since it's inconvenient to buy and sell. When you buy a bag of silver coins, the weight varies depending on amount of wear so you typically have to use an average such as 0.715 oz per dollar face value, you have to count them out if a coin counter isn't handy, you need a calculator to figure out their value, you have to check each coin to make sure there aren't any 40% or 0% coins mixed in, etc. That said, I have plenty of 90% junk silver coins since I usually buy what I can find at a good price as long as it makes sense.

• bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303

<< <i>10oz is my favourite size to premium ratio. You don't save a whole lot by moving up to kilo or 100oz bars, and they're about as liquid as you need. Other than a SHTF scenario, I can't imagine selling less than 10 oz of silver at a time. >>

I think this is a good idea.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sleuth of Pandas or a flock of Kookaburras might hold up pretty well if acquired.