Home Precious Metals
Options

Need an approximate value on a 25 ounce Sterling Silver medal set.

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a freind that needs to sell this set and I need to know a fair(for both of us) Buy price for 25 1oz. Sterling silver Space medals from the Franklin mint circa 1989. I assume they are mainly valued for the silver melt value. Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $472.62
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25 x 27.24 (silver spot) x .925 = $629.92
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Actually, sterling is generally discounted when it comes to selling it.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, sterling is generally discounted when it comes to selling it. >>

Best rate I've ever been able to secure for sterling in any form is 82% of spot for the gross weight. No one pays anywhere near full melt for sterling. Too costly to recover to a pure form.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually, sterling is generally discounted when it comes to selling it. >>

Best rate I've ever been able to secure for sterling in any form is 82% of spot for the gross weight. No one pays anywhere near full melt for sterling. Too costly to recover to a pure form. >>

I'll second that.
    I do have a dealer buying sheet that quotes 88% for private mints. Then you have to ship the stuff.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Best rate I've ever been able to secure for sterling in any form is 82% of spot for the gross weight. No one pays anywhere near full melt for sterling. Too costly to recover to a pure form. >>

I'll second that.
    I do have a dealer buying sheet that quotes 88% for private mints. Then you have to ship the stuff. >>

For silver I get 90% of spot. Ya gotta shop around
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a completed ebay auction but there are no pictures, how do they look?

edit: this is from the auction: The weight of these medals are 23.6 grams, that's about 0.76 troy oz. And they are sterling silver, so the pure silver content is 0.76*0.925=0.703 troy oz per medal

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

??? Too costly?

and 90% has less silver than sterling and gets a price closer to spot????
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

??? Too costly?

and 90% has less silver than sterling and gets a price closer to spot???? >>

Actually, yes. 90% (coins) are usually not melted. Why melt them as they are so well accepted. Sterling Space
    medals on the other hand could sit in a dealers display for years as the demand for such would be very low. So,
    melting them is the best option. However, the refiner is not free and that has to be taken into consideration. So,
    that's the main reason that 90% is a lot closer to spot.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com