Home Metal Detecting
Options

Been a long time ago

I am new to this forum, joined because of the "guess the price" St. Gaudens, have since been reading other posts and thought I would just weigh in here.
I started metal dectecting, if I recall in 1975, over the years found many coins and other items, along with a large share of trash too. I used to hunt many school fields, but slowly moved on to old summer camps, old one-room school houses, rural churches, and old fair grounds; I need to mention here that I never hunted anywhere that I did not get prior permission.

One of my best finds was at an old summer camp, where I found both of these coins the same day in Apr 1980. One 1917 type 1 std. Liberty quarter and a 1916-D Barbar Quarter which I graded them in about AU 55, so, just last year I sent the Std. Liberty in to PCGS for grading which to my surprise came back as AU-58-FH, I may just send the 16-D.

Good luck to all who enjoy this hobby, and we all need to do our part in putting the grounds that we search back in the same shape or better than when we dig up our finds.

Just an old-timer here that no longer is able to enjoy the hobby due to health, but am left with many memories.
God bless all, and I pray the Lord watch over our members of our Military that keeps this great nation free.

D.H

Comments

• Options
    I found what I beleive is a Civil war artifact while in Fla back in 1981-82, and am wondering if anyone may know anything about what unit it may be> I believe it is an Artillery unit from I don't know where
  • Options
    ACF19DA.jpg
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome coindigger2!

Love to see pics of the graded dug half, wow! In the ground and still graded. Must have had just
    the right soil conditions to do that! Lucky! Mine are all too corroded to have graded at PCGS!

Posting pics to this forum is a bit of a chore. Many of us just upload our pics to Photobucket (free) and
    then copy and paste the img code to here to show the pics.

Good digg'n,

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Bob;
    Thanks for the welcome here.
    Also thanks for the info on posting photos, as I see that the one I atempted to do do not show. I'll try using the photobucket and post the photo of the artifact that I beleive to be from some civil war artillery unit that was in central Florida. I was only in Fl one year that being 1981-82.

As you mentioned most of the coins I found in Fl. were corroded and or pitted badly. The only silver dollar I ever found (a 1922 peace $)was in a lake and it was both black in color and pitted.

But up here in the north east, central NY, the ground is really quite neutual in mineral content as well as relatively dry, so most of the coins especially silver or gold comes out just the was it was when they were lost [No Gold coins ever found, but lots of gold rings and necklaces]
    So I would dare to say that both the Quarters were lost almost the same year they were minted so as not to see much circulation. Also found a 1936 Mercury dime that even has full split bands, it may be Proof but does have some small black tar on part of the rim, so that kinda messes up any grading.

D.H
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Coindigger2..... that looks like an artillery unit insignia. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    don't look like that post worked, I'll try onemore time

imageimage[/IMG]

image[/IMG]
  • Options
    quite the process or so it seems to me anyway, more likely just me and not knowing how to use the photobucket .
    hopefully this is the obv of the 1917 quarter

image[/IMG] image
  • Options

This is the 1936 Mercury dime that I found in the same location as the 1917 quarter

• Options

<< <i>Welcome aboard Coindigger2..... that looks like an artillery unit insignia. Cheers, RickO >>

Thanks for the welcome here.

As for the insignia,

I too am sure it is Civil war, and being Artillery amd from a Company D but was wondering if there might be some collectors of Civil war insignias or atifacts that may know just what unit it may be . I have a great-grandfather that served with "Co.D. 2nd Heavy Artillery,NYSV" Now that would be quite a co-incidence if this too is from the 2nd Heavy Artillery and from NY as well.
    Of interest too, I found a broken lock within 100 feet of where I found the insignia.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say you did figure out the pics and well done, at that!

bobimage

Ex: Artillery/Calvary
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonderful quarter, congrats
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.

You FOUND that 1917 T1 quarter? Wow.

I've seen some nice ones dug, but that's nicer than all of 'em I personally know of any buddies finding.

Sorry you're not physically able to hunt anymore. Thanks for sharing the memories with us, though, and here's hoping you can find some enjoyment online. Some of the buying and trading I've done here has been almost as good as a treasure hunt.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feed back, I do miss those days out hunting, but I have found that when the Lord closes one door He opens another.

yes I did actually find the STL quarter and then about 2 days later I found a 1916-D Barbar quarter in about the same grade.
    I need to say it was by the Lord's grace that I did not hit either one or cause any damage.

From what information I gathered at the time the location was a place where performers from NYC would come to get out of the city for some vacation time. The arear was closed sometime during the early 50's as the newest coins found were dated 1956.

God bless

D.H.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow that SLQ is a beauty! Wish more silver came out of the ground like that
  • Options
    All I can say is that it took many days and lots of time out hunting and out of the thousands of coins found only those 3 coins were found in this type of grade, The STL and Mercury are photoed, I'll take a pic of the '16-D Barbar and add it here too.

Yes it would be fantastic of more silver coins especially 90 + years old were found, I hope that everyone who detects can too.

now how about anyone else finding such coins.

God Bless
    D.H.
  • Options
    Hello AU and AG...
    Thanks for posting this tip.....Posting pics to this forum is a bit of a chore. Many of us just upload our pics to Photobucket (free) and then copy and paste the img code to here to show the pics.

It had been so long since I posted here, I forgot how to do it. You have been a big help and I thank you very much,
    MDH