Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1997 Brown's Boxing Floyd Mayweather PSA 10 Gem Mint on EBAY....

This auction is going to be fun to watch! This is the first Mayweather PSA 10 to be auctioned off.

I have been checking EBAY ever since I purchased one of these cards and there have only been two cards surface. The last one was a PSA 9 and it sold for $200 recently.

This is a stunning example and think the Mayweather Rookie card is going to get very hot as I have said before.

Here is the link to the auction for anyone interested.

Boxing cards are heating up and this is clearly the best modern rookie out there.

Mayweather PSA 10 Gem Mint

Comments

• hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. I got to figure out what my max bid on this will be. I really want a 9 in the $125-$150 range but going for a 10 is very tempting...
    Hook'em
  • hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Interesting that the same seller has this bad boy listed: Hulk Hogan BGS 9
    Hook'em
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I just noticed that too image

Nice looking Hulk!
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    strong start for both items........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    A psa 10 sold a while back for about 55 bucks. This card has really picked up steam recently.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, D! Thanks for posting. This should definitely be a fun one to watch.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Nice!

this has 4 figures all over it!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • waverleewaverlee Posts: 104
    my guess is 1672 final bid
    I really am unsure on where this will end up but I do believe that it deserves a nice chunk of change.....it has rarity, it is gem mint, and Floyd is boxing right now in some form or another. I placed a bid but will be watching from here on out.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Eagles when and where did an example of a PSA 10 sell for $55?

I do remember seeing a PSA 10 offered on EBAY for a Buy It Now of $2,000.

There is no doubt the final price on this card is going to be really tough to call becuase it only takes two to drive something like this to the moon.

• jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I just got this back from PSA. The small fisheye on the left boarder probably kept this out of a 10 holder. I really wish PSA offered a service where you could get two sets of grades, one for the card and one for the autograph. I have no intentions to sell my card, but does anyone have a guess what it might be worth?
    I'm not sure exactly when it was.. Maybe like a year ago. It was ebay. I'm almost positive it was a but could have been a 9. If anyone has worthpoint I'm sure its on there. I think 4 figures would be pretty high for this card. The browns sets are tough to find but this particular set doesn't really have the quality issues the earlier sets did. I would think that most of the cards out there are 9s and 10s. I haven't seen a ton of these cards or sets.. But the ones I have have all been in great condition, I would understand a big premium for a 10 on a set like 85 OPC series 2 wwf card but not this one really
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    I would think you could do very well with that signed Mayweather.

If I had to guess I would say $300++.

The last PSA 9 sold for $200 and with the autographed rookie card boom this is clearly a big money card.

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with $300 or higher. This card has a couple of different trends working in its favor- Signed RC, high-grade/low pop anything, oddball manufacturer, and non-major sport category.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    I going to say $400 right now for the signed Floyd
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    When I got the card signed I had several people look at me like I was crazy getting a card signed. At the signing I had two people tell me I was wasting a good autograph and that I should get a photo signed instead. When Mayweather signed it he actually told me that he had never signed one of these before, which I thought was pretty cool.

The same thing happened when I had Mike Tyson sign 5 rc's at the nationals last year. People in line behind me were gasping that I was wasting so much money getting cards signedimage
    I have had the same experience as far as getting cards signed and people getting large photos, etc signed and people wonder why I would be getting a little card signed. I don't know about others but it seems to me that I see a bunch of photos autographed on the market and very few signed cards on sports like boxing. I feel it is good to veer away from the masses and collect what you enjoy....(obviously, as I have chosen wrestling cards).

I had Dan Gable sign his Panini rookie card from 1972 in 2002 and he had never seen the card before. I eventually ended up seeing him again and giving him a copy as he has a collection of his memorabilia at his house. I have given him a few items he was missing :-)
    I think the signed rookie card phenomenon is here to stay. There were obviously a few pioneers and then a lot of followers like me.

After seeing so many great cards signed and then seeing the prices starting to rise I think many have jumped on the bandwagon. That is how a trend gets going.

I took the plunge when Hulk Hogan was doing a signing with American Icon and sent out a number of his Wrestling All Stars cards to get signed and I am pleased I did.

Another great aspect to getting cards signed is the ability to have them graded or authenticated or both and then be able to display them with other great items in your collection.

You are seeing huge prices on guys like Michael Jordan and that will pull up the rest of the major modern stars and only add fuel to the fire. With so many feeling it was taboo to get a rookie card signed it has also added to the scarcity element in many cases.

The fact that you can barely find the Mayweather card and that it is in mint condition signed makes it very unique and would certainly be desired by many to add to their collections.

That is a great item and I think there would be no shortage of buyers for that awesome card.
  • Jmhockey23Jmhockey23 Posts: 652 ✭✭
    That's funny that people would criticize you for getting cards signed. I think the most worthless thing you can get signed is a photo. Rookie cards are actually the most economical thing to get signed in most cases. I think autographed rookie cards are going to do very well in the long term. What I see pointing to this is the modern certified autographs. A lot of people like to collect HOF Rookies. Fast forward 20 years from now and you will have every player going into the HOF with a pack pulled RC Auto. With this trend, I only see more and more people becoming interested in getting all HOF rookies signed.
    JM, excellent point about the modern certified autographs.

I had never spent anytime thinking about that but it could actually be the strongest driving force.

Some of the most expensive cards are modern rookie cards that are signed like Albert Pujols.

Up to $383 with a little more then a day to go.

I am very interested to see how this finishes.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's funny that people would criticize you for getting cards signed. I think the most worthless thing you can get signed is a photo. Rookie cards are actually the most economical thing to get signed in most cases. I think autographed rookie cards are going to do very well in the long term. What I see pointing to this is the modern certified autographs. A lot of people like to collect HOF Rookies. Fast forward 20 years from now and you will have every player going into the HOF with a pack pulled RC Auto. With this trend, I only see more and more people becoming interested in getting all HOF rookies signed. >>

2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, a dolla, all for signed rookies, stand up and holla

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • waverleewaverlee Posts: 104
    Up to $414 with a little less then a day to go.

I am very interested to see how this finishes.
    Less then an hour to go and currently at $579.

The finish is going to be very interesting.

• $711 with 18 minutes left.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    $809.00 Final Bid
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    disappointing
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    seriously? I think that's a great hammer price for this card. Boxing is seriously heating up.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1,000,000.00 Pinky tothe mouth
    Great hammer!! Id be happy with a 1997 card selling for that price. It would buy several lobsters.
    PWCC has a new one up - already $400 on the first day:

Floyd PSA 10
    i'm so annoyed with myself for not waiting to sell my Pacquiao PSA 10. Left a lot on the table on that one.. The Mayweather card is great too. The nice thing about these boxing rookies is that the production is limited for most of the huge superstar rookies. Other than Roy Jones 1991 Kayo rookie.. most of the other other modern rookies are from fairly limited sets. The Pacquiao might be the hardest to find of the group.
    Yeah, it would be very interesting to see what a Manny PSA 10 would go for right now, and I think that the fight will draw more attention to it - if one surfaces for sale. I almost thought about selling my pristine mag this spring, decided to keep it instead.

Also interesting to see which gets a higher hammer between the PWCC one and the Mile High Auction one, ending the same day (disc: it's mine). I'm guessing I made the wrong call by going through an AH for it, but we'll see...
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i'm so annoyed with myself for not waiting to sell my Pacquiao PSA 10. Left a lot on the table on that one.. The Mayweather card is great too. The nice thing about these boxing rookies is that the production is limited for most of the huge superstar rookies. Other than Roy Jones 1991 Kayo rookie.. most of the other other modern rookies are from fairly limited sets. The Pacquiao might be the hardest to find of the group. >>

That Pacquiao was nice. What did it sell for again? I haven't seen a magazine pop in a while. At least a year or so.
    $461 with just over 24 hours passed into the auction makes this a very tough auction to gauge. No telling where it ends.

My understanding is that there are only 1,000 copies printed.

I just made this scan this week of my copy.

DP

<< <i>

<< <i>i'm so annoyed with myself for not waiting to sell my Pacquiao PSA 10. Left a lot on the table on that one.. The Mayweather card is great too. The nice thing about these boxing rookies is that the production is limited for most of the huge superstar rookies. Other than Roy Jones 1991 Kayo rookie.. most of the other other modern rookies are from fairly limited sets. The Pacquiao might be the hardest to find of the group. >>

That Pacquiao was nice. What did it sell for again? I haven't seen a magazine pop in a while. At least a year or so. >>

I sold it for around 700 I think. I only paid 200 for it so was happy with the sale and I used the proceeds to buy the man o war ticket stub which i never saw on ebay for years.. Litterally 2 weeks after I bought mine 2 more were on ebay. Oh well. I Prob left a few hundred on the table but can't complain.
    I think most of the Browns sets are limited to 2,000, not sure about the Mayweather issue though. I do know that Johnnie's quality control improved over the years - cards like the Holyfield from series 2 are near-impossible to pull in a 10.

Yeah, I regret selling my Mannys too, esp. with the fight looking to be on. I could see a PSA 10 hitting 2k if it went out without much of a problem. I bought the only mag I've seen on ebay over the last year - and the Manny had a big crease in it. Drying up. I remember when you first posted your buy for $200 on that mag, eagles, thinking maybe you overpaid. I'd consider paying $400+ for a clean copy today.

PWCC auction now over $500...

Maybe the fight hype will bring a few magazines out in a Japan. I went back and looked and was surprised (again) that there are no Mayweather and Tyson cards in the World Boxing sets. I'm not sure there are any Japanese Mayweather cards from any set in any year from Japan although I haven't researched it thoroughly.

<< <i>Yeah, it would be very interesting to see what a Manny PSA 10 would go for right now, and I think that the fight will draw more attention to it - if one surfaces for sale. I almost thought about selling my pristine mag this spring, decided to keep it instead.

Also interesting to see which gets a higher hammer between the PWCC one and the Mile High Auction one, ending the same day (disc: it's mine). I'm guessing I made the wrong call by going through an AH for it, but we'll see... >>

The price is looking better for you at $630.

Good luck with your card.
    Thanks! Nice to wake up this morning and see several of the RCs catch some bids. I still think the PWCC one goes for higher, but good to see it similar for now at least. I do have a nagging feeling that listing one in late April / early May for $2k BIN might hit though..you should try it dpeck!

<< <i>Thanks! Nice to wake up this morning and see several of the RCs catch some bids. I still think the PWCC one goes for higher, but good to see it similar for now at least. I do have a nagging feeling that listing one in late April / early May for $2k BIN might hit though..you should try it dpeck! >>

That is a good idea. I only have the one copy I bought raw and submitted when I started the other thread in April of 2012. I am just going to hold onto mine.

The key boxing cards are holding strong. I recall seeing the last Manny PSA 9 bring in over $500 and the market is starting to smarten up on the Tyson Italian back too.

I have a lot of eggs in one basket so having some solid boxing cards is a good thing for me.

Edit to add: I see there is a Tyson PSA 8 in the Mile High auction as well that is the Italian back. If that is yours too good luck.
    Yep, all of the boxing cards in the MH auction are mine, actually. While many are looking better now, there's a few that are ridiculously low still - a highest graded HOF RC from the 1890 Mayo set for $50?!? Hopefully the close sees some action.
    Good luck with the auctions. Hopefully we see some strong prices.
    wow, a 3rd Money PSA 10 was just listed, already at $330. Pretty crazy action on these right now.
    Solid finish for the card on EBAY.

$787.77

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    thats a solid price and still less than a ticket to the fight.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    mine ended for about the same, $750 after the juice. Impressive prices indeed. Will be interesting to see if the one currently up on ebay goes for the same.
    I know this is a Mayweather thread but I sort of feel like these cards wil be linked given the popularity of the upcoming fight. Check out the PPP report on the 2 cards. The mayweather has seen a significant uptick over the past few years. The Pacquiao still seems pretty low. Both cards are great but the high quality of he Browns boxing set that makes it less condition sensitive than most sets. Some of the earlier Browns had terrible quality control.

almost posted something similar Eagles, and I agree. Was surprised to see the pop report jump on it. Mayweather is homegrown, but if that's an $800 card then a Manny PSA 10 should be 5k+ imho...the 2 biggest drawbacks are the fact that the Manny doesn't come from a 'true' card set and is a foreign card to boot. Would love to see one hit ebay next month to see..

2 More PSA 10 Floyds hit ebay today too, both at BINs around the 750-800 range. Will be interesting to follow those as well.
    There is a PSA 10 on eBay right now. This should end Sunday. Will be interesting to see if the outcome of the fight has any affect on the price.

Link