Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's done is done.

Several hours ago, my mom passed away. It was cancer. She didn't have a very long, protracted battle, nor was she in much, if any, pain. For that I am thankful.

I was my Dad's buddy, but I was Mom's student. She was a teacher; many, many things I learned from her raising me. Some things I've still yet to grasp.

Her death comes 7 weeks after losing my first cousin, same age as me, & a collector himself, to a brain tumor. To say the last several months have been tough would be an understatement, but whatever difficulty I've had is meaningless self pity compared to the courage of my loved ones who are now gone.

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. That resonates with me more than ever, & I urge all of you to hold your loved ones tight & appreciate every day, for life is fragile. The wolf is always at the door.

As for the board, I wish you all the best, even those, perhaps especially those, who have a poor opinion of me. I'll check in from time to time, probably not to post but at least to read the passion for the great hobby that we all share. I would appreciate & warmly receive your thoughts and prayers.

Best regards,

Tom (Ron)
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    My condolences Tom, sorry for your loss

• cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Tom,

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your mother. Stay strong and focus on all the good memories.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    My condolences as well to you and your family.
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

So sorry to hear your loss and my prayers are with you and your family. I lost my dad 10 years ago and I am grateful
    for some wonderful memories. He was a good man.

Sincerely,

Tom
  • leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    I haven't been very active on the boards in the last several months for various reasons also, but my thoughts and prayers go out to you.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    you and your family will remain in my prayers Tom

Manny
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom. So sorry for your loss.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condolences & positive vibes Tom.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences and prayers are with you and your family.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear of your recent losses to your family.....My best to you, Rob
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your loss Tom. My thought and prayers are with you and your family.
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    You have my prayers. Sorry to hear if your loss Tom.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Sorry for your loss Tom. Hold on to the great memories. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry for your losses. Hang in there buddy.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • My condolences and prayers. Very sorry to read the news.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Please accept my condolences as well

Bill
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    Tom,
    Sorry for your loss. Stay strong and know that she's in a better place.

Tommy
  • samspopsamspop Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Tom:

You are one of the good guys on the board. I am truly sorry for your loss and please know that you will be in our hearts and prayers.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Tom, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I am sorry for your loss. Stay strong. Mark
    MARK AGGSON
    Collecting Pete Rose Cello Packs
    Pete Rose Master set ranking #4(Retired)
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    only good thoughts for you in this difficult time.

peace brother.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss and prayers to you and your family during this difficult time.

Tony
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>only good thoughts for you in this difficult time.

peace brother. >>

+1
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Tom - I'm so sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to you and your family. Your sentiments are well received also.

Take care.
    Mike
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to you and your family.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    Your family is in my prayers.
    Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • leftofdialleftofdial Posts: 442 ✭✭
    Sorry for the loss of your family members.

We should all take heed of your words-
    "The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. That resonates with me more than ever, & I urge all of you to hold your loved ones tight & appreciate every day, for life is fragile. The wolf is always at the door. "
    I'll give my wife a hug when she wakes up.

Your family's struggles put our card-related problems in perspective

• bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    Tom,
    Sorry for your loss. I know you spent a lot of time with your mom these last few months. Don't be afraid to call me if you need anything
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very sorry to read about the bad news. I prayed for you this morning when I read about it. Stay strong. It sounds like you will have many good memories of your mother. I sincerely hope you find strength through this.

Edited to say - I wouldn't call what you have been through "meaningless self pity". It is very tough loosing loved ones.

Shane

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom, Sorry for your loss, hold onto those memories.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your loss. My father lost a rather long (18 month) battle with heart disease. To see him get weaker and weaker each week was very hard.

If your Mother had to go, this was a far better way. I am sure this doesn't help much, but at least she didn't suffer too much or for too long.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Very sorry for your loss, cancer sucks!
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss.

My wife recently lost her uncle to cancer. Currently, she is raising money for cancer research by running a half-marathon in and around Disneyland. Crazy thing is that she hasn't run, or excersized for that matter, for 7-8 years. But she is very focused on this!

Stay focused on the happy things!

Paul
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss, Tom...sad news to hear.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • RB,
    Sorry for your loss. She is in a better place now. If you need anything...you know ABL is there for ya.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry Tom.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I am very sorry for your loss, Tom.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Tom, my deepest condolences to you and your entire family during this difficult time. Remember the good times with your Mom when you are feeling down.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear of your losses Tom

Condolences to you and your family for these tough times
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    That sucks Tom, sorry to hear.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost my little sister to cancer on this date in 1975. My brother has stage 4 oral cancer. Its time someone did something to put a stop to this disease besides fundraising.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    My condolences Tom, sorry for your loss

GOD BLESS
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Tom ... your family is in my prayers. PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Good vibes from California, Tom. Lousy news to ever hear.

Nick
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Tom,
    I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family.
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry Tom.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Many, many thanks for all your thoughts & prayers.

Truly appreciated.

Say a prayer for my aunt too. She lost her son & her sister within a span of about 50 days. image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Tom,

My feelings go out to you in these difficult times. I lost my father last year to lung cancer and I was with him everyday during his last six months after being diagnosed. Take comfort in the fact that your mother's battle was short and she experienced little pain. I had to suffer daily for six months watching my father's condition deteriorate and his pain increase. Like that of your mother my father was my teacher as well. To a great extent we are all a product of our parent's teachings and all that we owe them can never fully be repaid.

In my father's final days I remember thinking about what really matters in life. I thought about my love for collecting baseball cards and coins and all the time I spend each week on the computer searching ebay listings and reading these psa forums. And I tried to visualize myself being in my father's dire situation and I suddenly realized that in the grand scheme of things cards and coins mean nothing. The old adage "without your health you have nothing!" is absolutely true.

Just as your mother taught you all your life so did my father. And even in his last days he (unknowingly) taught me to stay grounded and get my priorities in order. And true to his teachings I sold off all my baseball cards after his passing and I spend very little time on ebay and these boards. Instead I now find great enjoyment in jogging and eating very healthy and making better of my free time than sitting behind a computer.

I know that I will now live a healthier and longer life because of my father and with every bowl of oatmeal I eat and with every lap I run I am always thinking of him and thanking him for all he taught me!

"You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Tom, take joy in that your Mom was such a great lady. That is a blessing worth more than any worldly thing. Your good qualities speak loudly to the fantastic job she did in following God's will by raising you as a man of character, and I can only imagine she had a tremendous impact on many others. Peace and comfort to you and your family.

We (well I do) miss you on the boards here.

Mark

"Molon Labe"