Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

July Specials

Just put together my first submission of July.....cmon $4.50/card football special.....LOL.

Comments

• SullyknowsSullyknows Posts: 104 ✭✭
    sub $5 would be great, I am not holding my breath, though!
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, my stack has been sitting here for a while, waiting for the right special.
  • kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭
    I hope you realize that any $4.50 special won't pop for 3+ months based on trends this year.
    Kevin Thomas
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>I hope you realize that any $4.50 special won't pop for 3+ months based on trends this year. >>

True, but think of all the whining posts about PSA waits this would inspire! image
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope you realize that any $4.50 special won't pop for 3+ months based on trends this year. >>

yes....I realize this. I paid $6/per for 30 day this month..... I really don't care.

Edited to add that I waited a week for it to even log in. (11 days from the time it left my hands until it logged) I didn't complain not one time. I'm in no hurry.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently renewed and have been waiting but might as well just shoot one out tomorrow and hope for a good special in July. I like to stagger my subs anyway
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I wish it would never cost less than $10/card for grading because then we wouldn't see all the worthless cards
    being graded and the customer service should also improve. PSA has done a good job running cheap specials &
    sucking in cards that should never be graded which adds fuel to the registry drug addicts.

I owned my own distribution business for 20 years, and I did volume without always being cheap and I slept well
    at night and have retired a happy man. Customer service was always top priority and I made sure my customers
    knew that. Different strokes for different folks, but I prefer quality over quantity.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a 4.00 120 day special. I have a bunch of cards that I want to get slabbed. I'm just a collector not a dealer so they just sit in boxes anyways.. So weather they are sitting in storage at my house or at psa doesn't really matter to me. What does matter is that I'm paying for slow turn around time so its expected and exceptable vs paying up for quicker turn around time and have it take 50 percent longer than expected.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    PSA accidentally showed the July specials for a brief period this morning. They're back to $5.50 per card (1956 and later) with a 25 card minimum, and $6.00 per card for 1955 and earlier.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA accidentally showed the July specials for a brief period this morning. They're back to $5.50 per card (1956 and later) with a 25 card minimum, and $6.00 per card for 1955 and earlier. >>

That really sucks. Needed a sub $5 special to get 250+ football cards graded and have any chance of selling them during the season. Looks like it'll have to wait until next year.

But wait times are great for the hobby, right? image
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Exactly what kind of crap are you guys submitting where the EV is negative at, say, $6 a card, but somehow + at $4.50 a card?
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Exactly what kind of crap are you guys submitting where the EV is negative at, say, $6 a card, but somehow + at $4.50 a card? >>

+1
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Exactly what kind of crap are you guys submitting where the EV is negative at, say, $6 a card, but somehow + at $4.50 a card? >>

If you are planning a bulk submission of something like 300 cards, the difference between a submission fee of $4.50 and $6/card is $450. That's not a trivial amount. Saying that, I wonder, given how busy PSA is right now, if these new rates are going to be the new minimum we can expect going forward. I mean if PSA is already backlogged, why would they lower rates? They might as well keep rates higher until the backlogs dissipates.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

a) I didn't say the EV was negative at $6.
    b) The very best crap money can buy!

I regret complaining. Sleeping in helped. I'm not entitled to a sub $4.50 special by PSA. Just would've been nice to have one in July and get all these freaking cards shipped.

Some people don't submit to sell, so any money savings helps. $1.50 per card adds up quickly when you're subbing hundreds of cards.
  • gstarlinggstarling Posts: 463 ✭✭
    I have a 150 card modern football sub waiting to go. The difference between $6 and $4.50 is a
    1981 PSA 8 Topps Joe Montana
    1984 PSA 8 Topps John Elway
    1984 PSA 8 Topps Dan Marino
    AND a
    1986 PSA 8 Topps Jerry Rice

or you could go more vintage with a
    1957 PSA 6 Topps Johnny Unitas

+ a few bucks to spare.

So you end up with some awesome cards and the EXACT same product from PSA. For those of us who collect (especially sets), $1.50 can make a huge difference. The ability to get 25% more cards graded for the same price is meaningful.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some people don't submit to sell, so any money savings helps. $1.50 per card adds up quickly when you're subbing hundreds of cards. >>

Exactly. I'm not selling much, but I am working on getting a lot of my certified autos slabbed. The price just determines how much I get slabbed in a given month.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    they use the same model as an airline. the goal is to sell as close to capacity at as high a price as you can. if they are busy, no need to sell cheap seats.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions

<< <i>

If you are planning a bulk submission of something like 300 cards, the difference between a submission fee of $4.50 and $6/card is $450. That's not a trivial amount. Saying that, I wonder, given how busy PSA is right now, if these new rates are going to be the new minimum we can expect going forward. I mean if PSA is already backlogged, why would they lower rates? They might as well keep rates higher until the backlogs dissipates. >>

I'm not arguing that the difference in cost is trivial. What I'm curious about are the kinds of cards people are submitting that are somehow worthy of being graded at $4.50 each, but not at $6 each.
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    If anyone is gathering a $5.50 special and can take a piggy-backer..... drop me a PM.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you are planning a bulk submission of something like 300 cards, the difference between a submission fee of $4.50 and $6/card is $450. That's not a trivial amount. Saying that, I wonder, given how busy PSA is right now, if these new rates are going to be the new minimum we can expect going forward. I mean if PSA is already backlogged, why would they lower rates? They might as well keep rates higher until the backlogs dissipates. >>

I'm not arguing that the difference in cost is trivial. What I'm curious about are the kinds of cards people are submitting that are somehow worthy of being graded at $4.50 each, but not at $6 each. >>

If you're putting together a graded set like 75 Topps minis for instance and you have 100 cards to sub you can save 150 bucks with that difference. It's not so much 4.50 vs 6.00 (at least for me) but 450.00 vs 600.00.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'm not arguing that the difference in cost is trivial. What I'm curious about are the kinds of cards people are submitting that are somehow worthy of being graded at $4.50 each, but not at $6 each.

Have you seen the recent poppage threads?
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm not arguing that the difference in cost is trivial. What I'm curious about are the kinds of cards people are submitting that are somehow worthy of being graded at $4.50 each, but not at $6 each. >>

I'm not submitting, but late '60s/early '70s baseball commons that are in the 8-9 range, early to mid '60s baseball commons that are 8s, early to mid '70s HOFers (BB, BK, and FB) in 8s, late '70s HOFers (especially BB) in 9s, and oddball '70s sets (Hostess, discs, etc.) all fit within the category that a $4.50 special may put the card under VCP while a $6 special would put it over VCP.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If you're putting together a graded set like 75 Topps minis for instance and you have 100 cards to sub you can save 150 bucks with that difference. It's not so much 4.50 vs 6.00 (at least for me) but 450.00 vs 600.00. >>

I should have clarified. I understand why this price difference would matter to people who are submitting cards for their own collection; I just can't imagine what the card would be that I would sub for $4.50, but not for $6, if I was looking to sell it.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm not submitting, but late '60s/early '70s baseball commons that are in the 8-9 range, early to mid '60s baseball commons that are 8s, early to mid '70s HOFers (BB, BK, and FB) in 8s, late '70s HOFers (especially BB) in 9s, and oddball '70s sets (Hostess, discs, etc.) all fit within the category that a $4.50 special may put the card under VCP while a $6 special would put it over VCP.

Nick >>

Are people actually submitting commons like this? I understand submitting high-grade commons that you think have a chance of grading a 10, and then having them come back an 8, but that's entirely different from submitting cards where you feel that thebest case scenariois that the card comes back a 9 and will then be worth $7.

If guys really are submitting cards where 'Mission Accomplished' means the card is still worth < $10 then there's really no hope for us.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    90% of submission strategies are half mental.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>90% of submission strategies are half mental. >>

Yeah, but you need to figure out the breakeven point, because a nickle ain't worth a dime anymore. And remember, the grading game isn't over until it's over.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>90% of submission strategies are half mental. >>

Yeah, but you need to figure out the breakeven point, because a nickle ain't worth a dime anymore. And remember, the grading game isn't over until it's over. >>

and you remember, someday no one will send their stuff to PSA anymore because it's too crowded. image
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    it is a no-no to question what people collect...

but, okay to question what they submit??

not totally following...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Are people actually submitting commons like this? I understand submitting high-grade commons that you think have a chance of grading a 10, and then having them come back an 8, but that's entirely different from submitting cards where you feel that thebest case scenariois that the card comes back a 9 and will then be worth $7.

If guys really are submitting cards where 'Mission Accomplished' means the card is still worth < $10 then there's really no hope for us. >>

I'm sure that those few that submitted Tom Brady RCs in 2000 or 2001 would tend to disagree. With all due respect, I feel there is no harm in prospecting a little. It doesn't always make sense, or is by any means always profitable. But since it's MY money being spent on MY cards....It would be great to get a good price per card, regardless of the wait time. They will be graded, at $6, or $5, or $4, or $10....whatever it may be.....I was just hoping for a football special like the baseball guys got a little while back.....no big deal. I would hate to think what you would do if this was a gas prices forum.....gees ow.

<< <i>Are people actually submitting commons like this? I understand submitting high-grade commons that you think have a chance of grading a 10, and then having them come back an 8, but that's entirely different from submitting cards where you feel that thebest case scenariois that the card comes back a 9 and will then be worth $7.

If guys really are submitting cards where 'Mission Accomplished' means the card is still worth < $10 then there's really no hope for us. >>

I'm sure that those few that submitted Tom Brady RCs in 2000 or 2001 would tend to disagree. With all due respect, I feel there is no harm in prospecting a little. It doesn't always make sense, or is by any means always profitable. But since it's MY money being spent on MY cards....It would be great to get a good price per card, regardless of the wait time. They will be graded, at $6, or $5, or $4, or $10....whatever it may be.....I was just hoping for a football special like the baseball guys got a little while back.....no big deal. I would hate to think what you would do if this was a gas prices forum.....gees ow. >>

Right- what I was really saying here (and it should be obvious to anyone who was reading between the lines), is that prospecting is bad. Oh, and that paying $4 to have a card graded is exactly the same as paying $6 to have a card graded. Thanks for clarifying that for the rest of the chuckleheads who apparently couldn't tease that out of my previous posts.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised we're still even discussing this, really. Its just not that intriguing.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.