Home Metal Detecting

First timer, suggestions?

LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
I'm taking a New England road trip which will include over a week on Marthas Vineyard. I'm considering bringing my father's metal detector. I've never used it up north before. Any laws or regulations I should be aware of? Any suggestions? Any other beaches worth visiting or other numismatic places of interest?

My route:

- Baltimore, MD

- NYC, NY (american numismatic society HQ? anyone ever been???)

- Bridgeport, CT / Southern CT

- Providence, RI

- Martha's Vineyard, MA

- Springfield, MA

- Albany, NY

- Poconos (eastern PA)

then back home to Atlanta, GA (so anything along the interstates). I might try the Philly mint. Sadly I will return home BEFORE the ANA event image

Thanks gentlemen and ladies, your advice and travel experience is much appreciated. Tell me some stories!
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Don't hunt Baltimore City parks without a permit. You may want to check regulations of each city/area ahead of time and find out whats allowed and what's not.

Good luck!
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Right on, thanks!

Oh and GOOOoooooooOOOOOOOO DAWGs! Sic'em! Woof woof woof woof image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep...check with the local PD in each area... they are usually very helpful...Good luck...Cheers, RickO
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    UPDATE: Did not find anything (besides the usual pocket change and rim) in B'more, NYC or Providence. Saw lots of cool museums and statues though. Been on the Vineyard since Tuesday, visited a few beaches, lots of pretty rocks that is all. Thought I'd have better luck but 90% of the coast is private residences (or non-beach like marshes or docks). Shame because the enviro is so old and unchanged. Feels like 200-yr old hoards could be everywhere but I can't access without trespassing. If I had some research about which plots were settled by which famous landowners, I'd approach the homeowner and offer to split profits, but I have no such info. Too many acres of farms and forests to take a wild goose chase.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE