Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 1917 Matte Proof Lincoln: Fact or Fiction?

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am kind of amazed how there still appears to be some controversy over whether any Matte Proof Lincoln's were struck in 1917. Most numismatists believe that 1916 was the last (final) year of the Matte Proof Lincoln era. What amazes me is how I still find vestiges of information pointing to the existence of a single 1917 Matte Proof Lincoln

For example if you look at the Wikipedia website for Lincoln Cent Mintage's, it lists "1917 Matte Proof Lincoln, mintage 1"

Wikipedia Lincoln Cent Mintages

Another example of this type of documentation is in my 2012 Official Redbook (A Guide Book of U.S. Coins), that actually has a line for the "1917, Matte Proof", although they list no mintage and no price. In the summary paragraph for Lincoln Cents, they write "Matte Proof coins were made from 1909 through 1916, and an exceptional specimen dated 1917 is reported to exist".

I do find it sort of strange and interesting how there appears to be references to a phantom 1917 Matte Proof in these well-known and recent references.

Does anyone know the details on this supposed 1917 Matte Proof? Was it a doctored coin that was eventually declared to be tooled or faked?

If anyone knows of any images of this phantom coin, please post. I would love to see them.

It is curious that this question has not been put to rest yet (nearly 100 years later).

[NOTE that I edited this post to add this photo: I did a quick search on 1917 Matte Proof Lincoln and found this image. I have no idea if this is the coin the documentation above is referring to or not. There seems to be an awful lot of flaws on the coin (nicks). If I saw this coin, I have to admit that I would NOT be thinking Matte Proof but something more along the lines of an MS63/64.

Comments

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    You can find a lot of stuff written about angles and unicorns too. Give it some time, Carr might make one
  • Options
    You know, I could see D. Carr doing that eventually.

Perhaps eventually (hopefully) all the references and documentation out there will eventually zero in on no Matte Proofs in 1917.
    It's just strange that I still find so many references to it.

The fact that it's STILL listed in the Redbook is kind of amazing.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would really like to see that mirror edge they speak about regarding the above coin.

Based on the image, I can say that exceptional MS coins such as these do exist for the date range 1915 to 1917, but all of them that I've seen have some giveaway that pins it as a non-MPL. I have never seen an MS coin with truly a mirrored edge, though. For the coin above, the thing that strikes me is the way the letters in the legend seem to blend into the fields. Could be the lighting, though. Also, 3 o'clock on the reverse the edge doesn't really look flat. Plenty of MS coins have some flat edge, some with more, some with less, but every true MPL I've seen it's like 100%.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fiction. I believe the Red Book has acted irresponsibly by not removing this line item.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>You know, I could see D. Carr doing that eventually. >>

He's pretty much ruining american numismatics after each piece he creates.

<< <i>Perhaps eventually (hopefully) all the references and documentation out there will eventually zero in on no Matte Proofs in 1917.
    It's just strange that I still find so many references to it.

The fact that it's STILL listed in the Redbook is kind of amazing. >>

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the rims would make or break. Tha write up is rather convincing. The photos though good don't show me the same full shouldered distinct lettering in liberty and Igwt as I see when examining my 1910 matte. Also, curious that this 1917 seems to lack one of the frequently seen MPL diagnostics which are small angular die polish lines near the rims. Tell ya what though...get that baby in a graded PCGS holder and ya got MOON money....
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    if i could
    i'd go to national archives myself to research...this link gives time saving data reference to confirm or not
    this thread has a link...which bears interesting reading...with background data
    1917 thread
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    After seeing some of the alleged Matte Proof Mercury dimes and Walking Liberty half dollars,
    I would be pretty skeptical of a 1917 Matte Proof Lincoln cent, but you never know. Didn't Joel
    Rettew have a collection he bought that had several "Proof" 1917 pieces? This would have
    been a long time ago.
  • Options

<< <i> Didn't Joel Rettew have a collection he bought that had several "Proof" 1917 pieces? This would have
    been a long time ago. >>

This is going waaaayyy back in the memory archives, but weren't some 1917 proofs included in the "Great Eastern Collection" offered in one of Joel's fixed price catalogs around 1976 or 1977? It's been too long and I no longer have a lot of references from that far back.....
    Paul Fillmore
    ANA LM5200
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what i find interesting is that, as a whole, the Hobby tends to believe certain coins will eventually surface and is absolutely certain others never will.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fiction. I believe the Red Book has acted irresponsibly by not removing this line item. >>

I am with Dr. Bush!image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Oh please!! I think you are grossly overstating D. Carr's influence on American numismatics.
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Is it possible? I suppose anything's possible, but I'm with the fiction crowd. image
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Matte Proof Lincolns are determined by die diagnostics and not by a wire rim. This was Walter Breens misconception. I have personally examined Walter Breens supposed 1917 Matte Proof Lincoln and determined it had a tooled edge or rim and I actually saw the tooled marks.
    I have also examined a few other supposed 1917 Matte Proof Lincolns and they were all not Proofs. The die diagnostics for a 1917 Matte Proof Lincoln would have to be the same as. 1916 Matte Proof Lincoln as there was no new die made for Proofs after 1916.
    Ken Bressett should remove any reference to a 1917 Proof from the Red book as should Wikipedia. However I am just a humble collector who does not not know everything about Lincoln cents.

Stewart Blay
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Oh please!! I think you are grossly overstating D. Carr's influence on American numismatics. >>

Amen my friend!image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    BEHIND THE TIMES
    by Dentuck

You harp and you scold,
    But it's your news that's old!
    Don't be a schnook. Take a look ---
    The 1917 Proof ain't in the Red Book.

.... see page 118 of the 2013 edition.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1917 proof cent posted here is the one mentioned in the redbook. it currently lives in Hawaii. If you see it up close and personal you would be amazed.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    it's strange that it is impossible to prove a 1917 Matte Proof Lincoln Cent DOESN"T exist.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BEHIND THE TIMES
    by Dentuck

You harp and you scold,
    The 1917 Proof ain't in the Red Book.

.... see page 118 of the 2013 edition. >>

But the mention of the exsistence of an exceptional 1917 matte proof is still found on the page before. So it's still in there.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>it's strange that it is impossible to prove a 1917 Matte Proof Lincoln Cent DOESN"T exist. >>

Perhaps not so strange, but rather logical. Regardless, lack of proof that something does not exist should not preclude its removal.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I missed the June 25th post but I will repeat what I've said many times before.

Until either PCGS and/or NGC certify a 1917 MPL as a legitimate proof Lincoln cent I will not believe such a coin exists. I believe the same way about a so called 1959 Lincoln cent with the wheat ears reverse. Buffnixx believes very strongly in the existence of the 1917MPL but his belief dosen't for one second make it a fact in my opinion. It was great that Dennis Tucker got the line for the 1917 MPL out of the 2013 Red Book AFTER many, many years of it showing up.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I handled a 1917 with INS papers certifying it as a proof. As I remember it, it was not a convincing proof, but it did have heavy die striations that I have not seen on any other 1917. That was about 25 years ago, so my memory of the coin is not perfect. I should also mention that it was largely if not completely "Brown", so it's not the coin imaged in this thread.

As for the other denominations, I've seen one convincing proof 1917 Nickel. I've seen 4-5 "Breen-papered Proof" nickels that might be special strikes but are more likely just first strikes. I've seen no 1917 dimes or quarters that had even slight claims to proof status. And I've seen a few 1917 Walkers that were satiny and sharp enough to be interesting, but not enough to be convincing. All of this is relevant because it provides circumstantial clues as to what we might expect in a 1917 proof Lincoln.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Tom, i guess i say strange in relation to my other reply to the thread, but maybe i should have said intriguing or peculiar or something else. i'm just fascinated by the fact that in Numismatics there are certain coins which are believed in by so many and certain coins which are scoffed at by so many with really nothing but anecdotal evidence to prove anything either way. i suppose as a group we are sort of Religious about some coins and i find myself to be a sort of Numismatic agnostic regarding such matters.
  • Options
    One prolific writer of numismatic books huffs and puffs about there being matte proof 1917 type two standing liberty quarters BECAUSE he found a letter/documentation in some mint archive that they were made, however NONE have turned up and now it is now 95 years since 1917, so this is probably just fluff on his part. However except for the 1917 dime there have been coins of the other denominations cent thru half that have presented themselves and are very very interesting. In the redbook for buffalo nickels it used to say "matte proof coins were made for collectors from 1913 to 1917" and now it says "matte proof coins were made for collectors from 1913 to 1916 and specimen strikes of 1917 are reported". And in the column for 1917 under matte proofs there is still a dash inicating the existence of the coin but no pricing.
    Take a good look at the 1927 "specimen" strike buffalo nickel that is in the Heritage auction archives. An obvious matte or satin finish proof which is not called one. Why not? Registry sets maybe?
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a good look at the 1927 "specimen" strike buffalo nickel that is in the Heritage auction archives. An obvious matte or satin finish proof which is not called one.

I've handled several of the 1927 specimens. While they are clearly very well struck and have a different finish than business strikes, I don't think they were struck as proofs. (For those unfamiliar with the issue, these coins were most likely produced in an experiment with chrome plating the dies. If RWB were here, he might be able to shed more light on this. But since he has been banned, I'll stick with my story.)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    to illini420....

"You harp and you scold,
    The 1917 Proof ain't in the Red Book."

I am looking at my 2012 large print edition of the Redbook on page 113 and I quote ....
    "MATTE PROOF COINS WERE MADE FOR COLLECTORS FROM 1913 TO 1916 AND
    AN EXCEPTIONAL SPECIMEN DATED 1917 IS ALSO REPORTED TO EXIST".

They were made for release to collectors from 1913 to 1916 but not for release to collectors in 1917.

And if you turn to page 114 in the aforementioned Redbook you will see that there is specific mention and
    an entry for the 1917 matte proof Lincoln head cent right below the line for the 1917 doubled die obverse cent,
    although there is no priceing information given, just the usual dash. So illini420's litte poem is an incorrect little ditty.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

I believe have a,,1917proof cent

• Options

I believe I have discovered what a matte proof 1917 penny looks like

• Options

1917 proof penny

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear that one was still in the hopper just waiting

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 YEAR OLD THREAD ALERT

Troll Alert!

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

No VDB?!

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cent in Joesph's post is dated "1917" - yep. ;)

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact is fiction!

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Still an interesting read for those of us born since 2012.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2018 6:45AM

Kevin J, All great evidence. My personal belief is that a 1917 MPL does not exist.

However if one did exist, I wonder sometimes if it might look a bit like this. This example is a PCGS MS64BN (why so low?) owned by Robec. No it's not a Proof, I know that, but I guess I can understand how these highly detailed examples from recently retooled dies might fool some.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great discussion....An ongoing mystery, though likely none exist...Most evidence obtained to date, supports this. With little but anecdotal comment to lend credence to the existence of such a cent. For me, I believe one does not exist.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

There is only one reason I believe there might be a 1917 proof (set)
    A major collector I know, said he owned a 1917 proof set before it was broken up in the 1970s.
    Even though there were no proof sets officially created in 1917, it is possible (given that anything is possible, but extremely improbable) that a set was created clandestinely by Mint personnel. I have never seen a 1917 proof coin, but that does not mean it does not exist.
    People believe the 1964D Peace Dollars do not exist, I know they do........

Kevin J Flynn
  • Options

@kevinj said:
    There is only one reason I believe there might be a 1917 proof (set)
    A major collector I know, said he owned a 1917 proof set before it was broken up in the 1970s.
    Even though there were no proof sets officially created in 1917, it is possible (given that anything is possible, but extremely improbable) that a set was created clandestinely by Mint personnel. I have never seen a 1917 proof coin, but that does not mean it does not exist.
    People believe the 1964D Peace Dollars do not exist, I know they do........

I heartlily concur with Kevin. I once saw a 1917 type one standing liberty quarter that to me carried it’s own credentials and was definitely a proof or specimen or special striking.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Kevin's analysis and information, thanks for that. And I quite agree that just because there are written letters, etc. does not mean of a certainty that they do not exist.
    I have not seen any of Breen's examples, nor any other purported examples so can say nothing about them. I have seen other coins with expert opinions that they had been tooled (in particular rims), and carefully looked at them with changing lighting and magnifications and have not always agreed.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2018 6:45AM

I wonder if there were similar U.S Mint letters and documentation written in 1912 on the Liberty Nickel?

• Options
    edited October 31, 2018 2:18PM

“In summation, in October 1916 the Mint stopped making proof coins for all denominations based upon the Mint looisng money on proofs and the large number of complaints. Three new series were introduced in 1916 with no proofs struck for them as Barber stated in would be difficult to strike proofs in these series because of the curvature and texture of the surfaces. In 1916 and 1917 the int was busy with the new series. No 1917 proof coinage are part of teh Smithsonian collection. No 1917 proofs have been verified by the major grading services. No national archive or mint records have been found stating that 1917 proofs were struck. Of course, given the saying that almost anything is possible, it is possible that a 1917 proof exists, but the evidence shows that this is extremely improbable.”

improbable yes, impossible no.

Yup, and there are not supposed to be any 1913 liberty head nickels. !!!!!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fiction.
    Same with the 1917 Buffs, fiction.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose it's possible but those who believe they have a 1917 MP of any denomination should get them examined by someone who is a well renowned expert in the field of matte proof coinage.

• Options
    edited November 2, 2018 6:51AM

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2018 6:51AM

ABOVE IS NOT OWNED BY ME NOR HAS IT EVER.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Kevin J, All great evidence. My personal belief is that a 1917 MPL does not exist.

However if one did exist, I wonder sometimes if it might look a bit like this. This example is a PCGS MS64BN (why so low?) owned by Robec. No it's not a Proof, I know that, but I guess I can understand how these highly detailed examples from recently retooled dies might fool some.

EXACLTY, IF THERE ARE ANY MORE FLOATING AROUND OUT THERE I EXPECTD IT TO BE A NICE BROWN OR RED AND BROWN PIECE LIKE THIS. GREAT CALL!!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a good online analysis showing edge diagnostics comparing business strikes vs the 09-16 proofs? Most of the photos I've seen show only the obverse and reverse, which can be deceiving as we can see from this classic thread. But what about the edges? Can the edges be used to authenticate with any certainty? How sharp is the transition from rim to edge? Are the edges of these early proofs mirrored, while business strikes are not?

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

@rmpsrpms said:
    Is there a good online analysis showing edge diagnostics comparing business strikes vs the 09-16 proofs? Most of the photos I've seen show only the obverse and reverse, which can be deceiving as we can see from this classic thread. But what about the edges? Can the edges be used to authenticate with any certainty? How sharp is the transition from rim to edge? Are the edges of these early proofs mirrored, while business strikes are not?

Check out my Lincoln cent matte proof book, I did a complete analysis for each year, including side by side edge analysis, lots of photos.
    Some years, the BS can be found with stronger edges than MP

Small denomination/coin, less pressure to fully strike.....

Kevin J Flynn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file