Home Precious Metals
Options

Help with values? Silver German coins

I spend most of my time on the currency side. I'm assisting a friend by evaluating a coin collection. Her grandfather put it together in the 70's. It's heavy in silver 5 deutschmark coins from the 50's thru the 70's. The ones from the 70's look more like commemoratives (Schweitzer, Ebert, Kant, Archaologisches Institute, etc.), unless the country simply varied its designs more. The 1 and 2 mark coins look like they are a non-silver composition. Finally, there are some older German coins dating back to the 1800's ('74, '75, '76, '89); mainly 1 and 2 mark coppers.

Any advice for me? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of those coins are worth silver melt + a small premium. Suggest you check eBay's completed auctions to determine a realistic value. Ignore the buy it now auctions, most die on the vine.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    See if you can borrow a Krause from someone, take pictures and post them on the Darkside (World forum) or check out the completed auctions on Ebay.
    Becky
  • Options
    I would consider the German Ebay site for sales, I'd expect more collectors there and most of them know good English.
  • Options
    I have found this site helpful

http://worldcoingallery.com/
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all of you for your replies.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much premium on the 5 and 10 's

They are commemoratives but its a large series and lots of them are not very attractive. they are 62.5% silver the 5 marks are .225 troy ounce ASW and the 10 marks are .3114 troy ounces up to 1997 after that they have a sterling silver 10 mark coin that is .4609 troy ounces.

The non silver marks are still exchangeable as is the paper money. You don't have to bring it to germany there are websites that will buy them off you , go ask on the world coin forum someone can link you. I had one bookmarked but I can't find it for some reason