Home Precious Metals

Might you believe Gold would/can be manipulated?

MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be surprised if anyone ever doubted that gold was/is being manipulated. Common sense.
    Cheers, RickO
  • KUCHKUCH Posts: 1,186
    Those that say gold isn't being manipulated are probably the ones doing the deed.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    most all markets are currently being manipulated

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• allegriallegri Posts: 405
    Downward moves are a result of manipulation, upward moves reflect wise investment.
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    Most markets are manipulated for short time periods. Gold was manipulated higher by a certain hedge fund, and that fund manager confessed to it. Central bank buying of gold (or selling) is another form of open manipulation. The current central bank support of various bond markets is about the biggest open manipulation going. For U.S. Bonds it is getting close to $3 Trillion USD in Fed buying, or twist operations. The support of the bond market also tends to be supportive for gold and other markets because it makes the carrying costs for those on margin that much lower.

The small fish that think they know when and where and how the big fish are playing their games tend to be fooling themselves. Big fish don't tip their hands. Smart money doesn't publish their moves, or make it easy to track their moves. Any tracks left in the snow tend to be done on purpose, with a purpose. So when I read that so-so and is manipulating something long, odds tend to be decent that the exact opposite is happening.

I often say, think like a spy. If a master spy was running an operation to manipulate a certain market, what kind of misinformation, what kind of misdirection would they use to further their operation? Or if master spy thinking is too advanced for you, think about the plot in the movie "The Sting," where it is imperative to misdirect the mark as to the nature of the play. Keep in mind that smart money, big money tends to play advanced level games. Some are incredibly smart, incredibly sophisticated players.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The current central bank support of various bond markets is about the biggest open manipulation going.

Seems to me that that is the main event. It's true that there are alot of big players, and that someone who is way down at the bottom of the slide has virtually no way of knowing what is happening at the top.

By the same token, it's probably somewhat useful to know that not everyone at the top is on the same team. They may have the same objectives, but they are wrestling with each other to some extent. I just try to stay out of the median on that 12-lane freeway.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.