Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Issue Resloved: Heritage Auction- Mis Attributed Kennedy

I hope no one here is going to be bidding good money on this Auction image

Not only is it "not" the FS-103 (CONECA DDO-015) but it is not even an "Accented Hair" variety. image

The Cert number comes back to the "Normal Hair" coin number, and that is the only thing that is right with this one.

How do these coins slip by PCGS' quality control? image

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to agree they sure seem to of put the wrong coin in that holder. Don't agree on the grade either but I'll give them the benefit of dough since I can only see images of it.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have to agree they sure seem to of put the wrong coin in that holder. Don't agree on the grade either but I'll give them the benefit of dough since I can only see images of it.
    image >>

If they had that coin, with the proper attribution and accented hair, is there a chance it could have wound up in a different holder, or is this just a serious mechanical error mistake????? I'd hate to think a coin that matched the cert description wound up in the wrong holder.

This is something I've always wanted to ask, as far as mechanical errors go,when it's brought up....these mechanical errors....are they really just cert printing errors, or is there a possibility that 2 coins can get put in the wrong holders, and a much more valuable coin goes to someone else??? I know the odds of it happeningnare slim-none, but the human error factor can still come into play once in a blue moon.....not saying thats what happened, not knocking the process, just wondering if that scenario is at all possible. I've been lurking and posting for a few years now, and can't remember if I ever heard anything discussed about it or not. Mechanical errors have been discussed, yes, but not to the extent that a coin could wind up in the wrong holder. Just askin'/wonderin', more wonderin'.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    I am implying that with the cert number going to a regular proof of the same year that yes human error got the coins mixed at assembly area not grading.
    The diagnostics for the accented hair are just too easy for a grader to of made this error.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am implying that with the cert number going to a regular proof of the same year that yes human error got the coins mixed at assembly area not grading.
    The diagnostics for the accented hair are just too easy for a grader to of made this error.
    image >>

Does this mean what I think it does, and the coins were put into the wrong holders, and someone got boned and someone made out like a bandit, and perhaps doesn't know it??? I'm not too 'up to snuff' when it comes to these mechanical error things.....but again, does this mean what I think it means and wrong coin went to the wrong submittor??
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    This has not been sold yet and should not be sold.

Note to the OP and others every auction at Heritage has a "contact us" link to let Heritage know about the problems. Please use. Like i have.

• Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>

<< <i>I am implying that with the cert number going to a regular proof of the same year that yes human error got the coins mixed at assembly area not grading.
    image >>

Does this mean what I think it does, and the coins were put into the wrong holders, and someone got boned and someone made out like a bandit, and perhaps doesn't know it??? I'm not too 'up to snuff' when it comes to these mechanical error things.....but again, does this mean what I think it means and wrong coin went to the wrong submittor?? >>

I don’t think it is a “Mechanical Error”, if it was then the data base would show a pop 3/0 for this grade with the coin number assigned.

The population report for PCGS number 391379 in PR66 is 2/0. The coin on Heritage is not one of the two; I know where both coins are.

Could this have been a coin that was miss attributed and reported to PCGS with them taking care of correction the data base but the owner refused to return the coin for correction? The only thing confusing to me is it is in one of the new three prong holders so it has not been out there too long.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Not the first time PCGS messed up-mechanical error. AND, Heritage sold the item, even annotating that the coin was an eror on PCGS'S part. I brought this up to PCGS, showed them the lot number and photo of the 1965 regular strike Kennedy. It was actually an SMS coin and was stated as such by Heritage!!! Plus, I showed PCGS other mistakes other errors in the 1965 regular strike issues, but, NO ATTENTION or action. So much for accuracy. I agree we all make mistakes, but when pointed out later, you should pony up. Just my fifty cents. image((imageimage
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    I think notsure may be correct. The coin for the cert number immediately preceding this coin is an accented hair Kennedy.
  • Options

<< <i>I think notsure may be correct. The coin for the cert number immediately preceding this coin is an accented hair Kennedy. >>

The coin cited, (FS-103) is also supposed to be an "Accented Hair" but isn't so I don't understand your point? image
  • Options
    Back to back coins being graded. One was apparently an accented hair variety and one wasn't. Could the coins have been mixed up as they were being slabbed and put in the wrong holders? Notsure asked about that. Given that the auction coin is not accented hair but is slabbed as accented hair, and the coin slabbed immediately prior to that one was supposed to be an accented hair coin, maybe notsure is on to something. Possible human error by mixing up 2 coins and putting them in the wrong slab rather than mechanical error.
  • Options

<< <i>Back to back coins being graded. One was apparently an accented hair variety and one wasn't. Could the coins have been mixed up as they were being slabbed and put in the wrong holders? Notsure asked about that. Given that the auction coin is not accented hair but is slabbed as accented hair, and the coin slabbed immediately prior to that one was supposed to be an accented hair coin, maybe notsure is on to something. Possible human error by mixing up 2 coins and putting them in the wrong slab rather than mechanical error. >>

But then wouldn't both coins be "Accented Hair"?
  • Options
    Two coins - one accented one not. Two holders, one says accented, the other does not. Human error mixes the coins up and puts each in the others holder. Just following up on the thought expressed earlier. Given that there were in fact two coins certified back to back, one accented hair and one not, its certainly possible.
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    This coin has been withdrawn from the auction.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Now can you have PCGS re-slab to correct an error? It was sold by your company. You even stated this 1965 buissness Kennedy had beautiful mirrors and frosting. Then you said the coin was not picked by PCG. Thanks in advance! Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    Bossman88Bossman88 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    Does anyone have the cert number of this coin.
    Or any follow up information?
    My son just received a 1964 Minor Variety TDO PCGS PR65 from Teletrade
    that is actualy a PCGS PR65 1964 Kennedy Accent Hair FS-103.
    Could this be the other coin from this drama?

Regards, Larryimage
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do these coins slip by PCGS' quality control?

i'm certainly not a PCGS apologist, defender or high test Koolaid drinker, but c'mon Caleb, they've certified perhaps 12 million plus coins already. that means the percentage of mistakes which are the result of Human Error are relatively minute. things happen and sometimes figners pnuhc thw wrmig keys!!image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do these coins slip by PCGS' quality control? image >>

volume and percentages.

at the volumes a small percent will slip through.

Now if you, me and we will tolerate double turnaround times or higher prices they can reduce the errors to an even lower number.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file