Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The new "S" quarters on sale 6/21 - Who's buying?

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭✭
Tomorrow the "S" mint mark Bag and Rolls of the El Yunque quarters go on sale. $18.95 per roll! Anyone buying??? I must admit I'm into it and will be collecting the new circulation quality San Fran quarters. Why, I don't knowimage Anyone else into them??

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Baseballcardization >>

• Options
    No NCLT for me. It must be a medium of exchange available initially at face value to interest me.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I will wait to see how these play out. They will be available for a full year, so I'm not in a any rush.
  • Options
    anything to take more money from collectors. I say they should mix these in rolls sent to the FED so kids can search and find a new hobbie but instead the mint would rather ram it up our back side!!!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy am I glad I got over my Mint addiction.

Well at least got it mostly under control this year I have not ordered any Mint Sets, Proof Sets, Rolls of coins that are supposed circulate and don't.

Come to think of it I only ordered one coin so far this year.

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Going in deep
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Going in deep
    image >>

I'll probably buy one from this guy after he gets a few nice ones graded.

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll probably buy one from this guy after he gets a few nice ones graded. >>

Thank you, If there are nice one's we will find them image
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No NCLT for me. It must be a medium of exchange available initially at face value to interest me. >>

Agreed!

(I did make an exception for the Sacs but don't tell anyone).
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I think the initial run was only 1.3 million. Not much. Do you think the mint will sell that many of the rolls and bags? The 1932 was only 400,000. However you are looking at over 8 more years of these S minted coins, unless this is only a one year offering because of the 75th Anniversary of SF mint. Did the mint ever clarify this?
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one roll. My question is to get them as they are issued or wait and get the rest when all of them have been released and save a little postage.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in eventually.

A little strapped for cash right now.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ckrakowskickrakowski Posts: 157 ✭✭

<< <i>Tomorrow the "S" mint mark Bag and Rolls of the El Yunque quarters go on sale. $18.95 per roll! Anyone buying??? I must admit I'm into it and will be collecting the new circulation quality San Fran quarters. Why, I don't knowimage Anyone else into them?? >>

i might just so i can spend them and have people think i am spending proof coins. what website did you go to to find the price of them?

why is the san francisco mint minting s minted circulation coins anyways?

thanks for any help.
  • Options
    Well I feel sorry for those who didn't get in early. Word has it the rare smokin George variety may be in the early rollsimage

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in until the Mint made them avail for a year. A month would have been more appropriate. I may get a couple rolls now and reassess in 11.9 mos
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    No thanks. Rolls and Bags in fancy packaging have been a bust - the only where there was some serious growth in price was the 1999 Delaware Quarter.

Even since then, it was steady downhill - and increase in sales price.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy am I glad I got over my Mint addiction.

Buying from the Mint is sometimes like having a "kick me" sign taped on your back.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I got an email notice of shipment for my roll. That was pretty fast.

• Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Getting a few on eBay as they come out ...

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Quarter bags already showing red. Will the mint do a second run of these S quarters? The 1.4 million of the initial run of these S quarters is the average also sold for the regular national park quarter bags and rolls.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Passing. To me, it's just more mintjunk.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>Passing. To me, it's just more mintjunk. >>

Do you collect the National Park Quarters or have no interest in modern releases? Mint sets? Proof sets?

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got $25 bags of Mass P & D quarters when they first came out. Paid $35 each. I'll bet I still can't be made whole after all of those years if I sold those coins.

New mint products? To je puni govana.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>I got $25 bags of Mass P & D quarters when they first came out. Paid $35 each. I'll bet I still can't be made whole after all of those years if I sold those coins.

New mint products? To je puni govana. >>

Ah, but, these are common every year issues available at any bank, not in mint packaging of course.

The 2012 "S" may be a one year release and is only available from the mint. I don't expect to make a killing on these but can't pass up the limited availability for a future key date/mint mark.

BTW
    Mint News Blog just reported the first day sales for these:
    Roll - 5,800
    Bag - 3,827
    This accounts for 614,700 coins.
    "Notably, this is lower than the debut figures experienced for the regular “P” and “D” mint marked bags and rolls. The US Mint seemed to be hoping that this product would make a big impression with collectors, but it seems to have fallen a bit flat."

But I don't know if there is general knowledge of these "S" quarters.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I can see great things to come if this S-Mint Quarter Program has even a hint of success.

Remember the talk about eliminating the Cent and the Nickel? Well surprise, surprise, Coin Fans! Can you imagine Collector only Cents and Nickels by the Roll and Bag? I sure can. image

Kennedy Halves minted only for Collectors? Oh WAIT......... !

Never mind. image

How about a return of all the Coins you never knew? Can you see a return of the 1/2 Cent, the Large Cent, the 2 Cent Coin, the 3 Cent Coin ,the 20 Cent piece, and maybe even a tiny $1 Gold Coin?

Look out World! The US Mint is going IN sannnnnneeeeeee.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Passing. To me, it's just more mintjunk.

Do you collect the National Park Quarters or have no interest in modern releases? Mint sets? Proof sets? >>

No- there's certainly nothing wrong with collecting them. I'm just haven't been impressed with the quality of anything that's come from the mint in a long time.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    rogerdiehlrogerdiehl Posts: 97 ✭✭

BTW
    Mint News Blog just reported the first day sales for these:
    Roll - 5,800
    Bag - 3,827
    This accounts for 614,700 coins.

I wonder how many of these were taken to the post office and were stamped and cancelled that day :-)
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2012-S roll just arrived today.
  • Options
    i ordered 4 bags and got them a couple days ago. funny thing is i got 5 bags and were billed for all 5. go figure.

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it likely that future albums for circulation-strike ATB quarters will include spaces for the "S" mint coinage?

At the moment, most albums accommodate either one coin per design or P and D mint coins only. This is likely to limit initial demand for (and value of) the "S" mint coins.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>Is it likely that future albums for circulation-strike ATB quarters will include spaces for the "S" mint coinage?

At the moment, most albums accommodate either one coin per design or P and D mint coins only. This is likely to limit initial demand for (and value of) the "S" mint coins. >>

Your right. The album makers may not include a hole for the "S" especially if it's a single year issue. It throws off their pattern for a single year. Year after year two holes, then this odd ball three hole year right in the middle.

Plus you would have to break a roll or bag to fill one hole? What do you do with the short roll/bag? Fill 39 more folders? Or sell the singles which seems more likely.

• Options
    keezkeez Posts: 842
    Mine arrived today. The box felt light. I opened it and all 6 of the white boxes had been opened and the rolls removed.
    Someone stole them. They opened the box at the bottom so the seal wasn't broken. Then retaped it with the same USPO clear tape.

I tried calling the MINT but i guess they don't work on the weekend.

Any suggestions? I'll go to the post office Monday and report it.

• Options
    That really sucks. Report this to the local Post Master. Tampering with the mail is a Federal offense. The Postal Inspectors need to get involved. Resealed with USPS tape kinda says "Inside job".

• Options
    keezkeez Posts: 842
    I reported the theft to the U.S. Postal Inspector and the US Mint. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. Can't help but wonder if it happened at the fulfillment center where they package with that tape or locally at my post office.

After I fill out a form the Mint is sending me, I'll be getting a replacement order.

I ordered early on the day of release and was eager to open 1 of the 6 boxes and examine them. For now I'll have to settle for looking at the image posted above.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No thanks. Rolls and Bags in fancy packaging have been a bust - the only where there was some serious growth in price was the 1999 Delaware Quarter.

Even since then, it was steady downhill - and increase in sales price. >>

The only exception that I've seen is for the LP1 cents. Those rolls did very well. All of the others are as you said.

On the other hand, there is a front page article about these on the June 24 NN. They seem to think that they will do very well.

Did you catch the article? Any thoughts?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    I didn't find that front page but did see the article of July 12th. In it they say that demand is steady. El Yunque bags are at 6,434 and rolls at 9,334 for over a million quarters sold so far. Chaco Culture, which just went on sale, I think will show about similar numbers.
    The difference of these to other rolls is that this is the only way to get them. I believe the disappointment shown by some in previous States roll performance. But those quarters were made for circulation and could be gotten at the local bank in nearly unlimited quantities. And the States designs were new so there was some excitement from the general public. Lots of rolls and singles were stashed away. Mint wrapped rolls might show a small premium over bank wrapped but not enough to overcome the mints added premium.
    These "S" quarters are unique. Probably one year only. The mint is the only source. At 1.4 million maximum mintage each these will have to become at least semi key quarters for the series, as far as a circulation quality coin can be a key date/mm.
    Do I see this as a financial windfall possibility? No. But an opportunity to obtain a key coin directly from the only source? Yes. How many readers would love to go back in time and get that key coin that they let slip through their fingers? My butt is sore from all the self directed kicks. Not this time.

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

<< <i> At 1.4 million maximum mintage each these will have to become at least semi key quarters for the series, as far as a circulation quality coin can be a key date/mm.
    Do I see this as a financial windfall possibility? No. But an opportunity to obtain a key coin directly from the only source? Yes. How many readers would love to go back in time and get that key coin that they let slip through their fingers? My butt is sore from all the self directed kicks. Not this time. >>

..................................................................................................

1.4 million??

Mint online ordering page says minted to demand and on market 1 year from release.

What is correct??
  • Options

<< <i>1.4 million??

Mint online ordering page says minted to demand and on market 1 year from release.

What is correct?? >>

From a May 21st Coin World article:
    "Jurkowsky said the U.S. Mint plans to strike 7 million 2012-S America the Beautiful quarter dollars in circulation-quality — a maximum of 1.4 million each for coins with reverse designs representing El Yunque National Forest (Puerto Rico), Chaco Culture National Historical Park (New Mexico), Acadia National Park (Maine), Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park (Hawaii) and Denali National Park (Alaska).
    Jurkowsky said if numismatic sales of the 2012-S America the Beautiful quarter dollars prove successful, U.S. Mint officials might consider offering additional quarter dollars struck at the San Francisco facility.
    "

Link To The Article

You raise a good question. Is it 1.4M per or "To Demand"? Or typical Mint double speak? Mr. Jurkowsky is the official spokesperson for the Mint.
    Still, this offering is not generating the level of enthusiasm of other Mint offerings have received. More hype for bigger profit centers? Certainly.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the "S" mint silver state/ATB quarters have mintages well under 1.4 million and are selling at or near melt. It's likely that some were actually melted when silver prices were higher.

Even if it stays that low, I'm not sure that a mintage of 1.4 million will elevate the 2012-S unc. quarters to semi-key status. Especially since most ATB quarter albums do not currently have slots for business-strike "S"-mint quarters.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>Many of the "S" mint silver state/ATB quarters have mintages well under 1.4 million and are selling at or near melt. It's likely that some were actually melted when silver prices were higher.

Even if it stays that low, I'm not sure that a mintage of 1.4 million will elevate the 2012-S unc. quarters to semi-key status. Especially since most ATB quarter albums do not currently have slots for business-strike "S"-mint quarters. >>

Those silver issues are a separate issue. Wouldn't you say that for awhile recent silver proof sets have traded around the melt price?
    You are totally correct about the holes in the folders. If these "S" quarters receive their own wholes to fill, then demand will take off. We will have to see if this takes place.
    FYI---From Numismatic News 7/12 issue:

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1.4 million??

What is correct?? >>

From a May 21st Coin World article:
    "Jurkowsky said the U.S. Mint plans to strike 7 million 2012-S America the Beautiful quarter dollars in circulation-quality — a maximum of 1.4 million each for coins with reverse designs representing El Yunque National Forest (Puerto Rico), Chaco Culture National Historical Park (New Mexico), Acadia National Park (Maine), Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park (Hawaii) and Denali National Park (Alaska).
    Jurkowsky said if numismatic sales of the 2012-S America the Beautiful quarter dollars prove successful, U.S. Mint officials might consider offering additional quarter dollars struck at the San Francisco facility.
    "

Link To The Article

You raise a good question. Is it 1.4M per or "To Demand"? Or typical Mint double speak? Mr. Jurkowsky is the official spokesperson for the Mint.
    Still, this offering is not generating the level of enthusiasm of other Mint offerings have received. More hype for bigger profit centers? Certainly. >>

..............................................................................................................................................................................................

He is also quoted later in article ................

"Jurkowsky said if numismatic sales of the 2012-S America the Beautiful quarter dollars prove successful, U.S. Mint officials might consider offering additional quarter dollars struck at the San Francisco facility."

He didn't say no more 2012-S quarters............he said basicly..............

And I paraphrase............

"We we squeeze those collectors til they are dry"....................

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file