Home Metal Detecting
Options

Need YOUR expert opinions

Greetings,

Good Morning. I have been a coin collector for a few decades and I am mistified with all the stories, pics and videos of all the wonderful finds all the forum members share during their metal detecting adventures. My father used to metal detect and WOW did we used to have fun finding little treasures in W. Germany when he was in the Air Force. I always wanted to buy my own and start collecting treasures of my own. Well...life happen...a wife...kids...etc. Now that I am retiring I often find myself on YouTube and other sites that show all the awesome finds that we as viewers are lucky enough to watch. I have decided to enter into the world of metal dectecting and need YOUR expert advice. I am a novice in metal detecting equipment and need some advice. I have watched YouTube vids and have seen and heard alot about the Garret XT PRO. But needless to say I have NO idea. I dont want a cheap one and I dont want to break the bank...but can I find a better than average brand that will detect different denominations of coins and metals. I would love for it to be able to decipher between what is a bottle top and what is "SILVER". I have also noticed an attachment that once a find is discovered and the site is dug..then they use a small 8-10 inch prod to pinpoint the silver or metal. I don't even know what this is called. I know I am a novice. I hope anyone can help me. Your comments are greatly appreciated and as always enjoy what remains of your day.

mjhoffpauir
"There are two types of people in the world. Those that do the work and those that take the credit. Try to be in the first group, there is less competition there" - Ghandi

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do you plan on purchasing a detector? I would suggest finding a local dealer or
    two and get down there and explain what you want to do and let them lead you. When
    I bought mine (Whites) the dealer carried about 4 or 5 different brands and all sorts of
    models. He also had a "dig area" set up to try them out. Very impressive and I was very
    comfortable buying my detector. It has served me very well for over ten years now. Although
    I do not hunt as often anymore due to shoulder problems. My shoulders will be getting a
    re-working surgically this year so that out to get me back out in full force.

Research on the web and in forums is great but in hand is even better.

That thingy that pin points is just that: a pin pointer! I don't own one and so I dig with a
    plastic tool so as not to harm the find.

I search in the desert for nuggets and NEVER find coins.

Good luck and read some of the old threads for some help.

bobimage

PS: welcome to the diggers group!image
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    garrett makes a good machine, i still use my 20 year old garrett GTA1000 separating the bottle caps from the silver with absolute certainty is very dependant on the type of ground you are hunting... so it may not be a good idea to use that as a final factor in choosing a machine. may not be a bad idea to start with a cheaper machine and learn it, there are many good deals out there on gently used detectors
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!

You may want to try reading up at some other forums that get a lot more traffic than this one. Try:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/
    They have several sections about detectors, and how to use them, etc; There is a specific sub-forum called "Advice on Detector Purchase". This forum is known as Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Also, you can learn alot on:

http://libertymetaldetecting.com/

As well as:

http://www.findmall.com/

The detector manufacturers have some forums on their official sites as well. I know White's has a forum and I would assume Garrett would also (but I don't know for sure as I own Whites equipment).

You can pick up some good info here at CU also, but there's hardly any traffic as compared to the other forums.

Good luck!
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
    You might want to check out treasurenet.com and YouTube.

I'd recommend looking into a pinpointer. I have a pistol probe and the amount of time it saves is crazy
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice above... work with a dealer, buy a reputable brand... get a pinpointer (the pistol probe is fantastic)..... good luck, Cheers, RickO