Home Precious Metals

confused

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
what is the value of a franklin mint 1000 grain bar? just melt value? it was purchased for 60 dollars today? Does it have the same content of silver as a ASE?
WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I think the Franklin Mint produces bars in Sterling Silver, .925.

1000 grains are approx 2 toz.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, which may not be yours, it wouldn't even be melt. Sterling and/or Franklin Mint products tend to be bought at a discount. They're popular with a very small market, and are unpopular with just about everyone else.

A quick google shows that they contain about 2.08 troy ounces of pure silver. With silver currently at $28.74, that works out to be $59.78.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1000 grains is equal to 2.08 troy ounces.... but of sterling silver. If you use .925 as the purity of sterling, the 1000 grain bar contains 1.927 ASW in troy ounces. Multiply by 28.74/ounce spot, that comes to $55.38 melt value. So $60 is not that good of a deal; as mentioned, they usually sell at a discount.
    ----- kj
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most places pay a good bit back of melt for sterling
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Folks, Franklin Mint made 1000 grain bars in 999 fine silver. Some came in nice felt boxes.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Franklin mint marks thier product so It will be stamped Streling or .999 silver.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Folks, Franklin Mint made 1000 grain bars in 999 fine silver. Some came in nice felt boxes. >>

I have never run across one of their 1000 grain bars that wasn't made of Sterling and btw they all came in a velvet box. How about a picture of the one that is .999?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."