Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Crossover special results

The economy and standard submissions both completed 3 weeks after arrival. Great turnaround.

12/23 crossed over. One crossed over slightly higher (64+ vs 64), while the rest moved straight across. Economy was 12/20 and Standard was 0/3.

I was pleasantly surprised by several of the crossovers - I had low expectations for most of them, believing most of the original grades to be too high (there were several ATS pieces I had sitting on the shelf wondering what I might do with them, turned out most of them crossed).

Crossover by metal:
Copper: 3/7
Bronze: 3/7
Silver: 6/9

Biggest surprise was a recently acquired 1850 farthing from NEN - MS65BN. Biggest disappointment was the 1863 farthing I picked up from NEN - graded 66RB ATS and definitely better than the Colin Cooke provenance piece which is PCGS 65RB, but still didn't cross. Another disappointment was an 1826 draped bust Farthing that was 65RD and didn't go over. It is absolutely superb.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have left them the way they were. still don't understand the whole crossover
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats...

to a point based on your comments

The 1826 may exist in an attractive state, but those that are exceptional do stand out and not to cross seems tough

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for the 1863- just not sure what to say

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭

<< <i>I would have left them the way they were. still don't understand the whole crossover >>

bingo
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    I would have left them the way they were. still don't understand the whole crossover

I have my reasons for it and am not asking anyone to understand them. For the most part, I can't discuss them here if I want to keep posting. For a limited time PCGS is offering crossovers that are fee-free if they DNC. Otherwise, I certainly wouldn't bother, given the general crossover success rate. This is the first submission I have made since the price changes.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with crossover.
  • mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭
    Nothing's wrong with cross-over, and yes, there are several different reasons to cross-over. But I think it's ironic that some collectors are trying to cross-over into NGC, while others are going the opposite direction. Unless the coin is upgraded, in the end, you added more cost to the original purchase price.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy you did well and glad PCGS gave us the "opportunity" to crossover IF one wants too.

Like I said a few times I agree the whole game is a waste of time and money for obvious reasons - however that said many of us do enjoy putting together certain series or/and having our collections in certain holders for various reasons.

I personally had both holders for example in my palestine mandate set (ngc & pcgs) but when NGC abolished PCGS holders in their sets I called it quits and simply moved over everything onto the PCGS Registry as 90% of the set was already in PCGS holders for almost 10 years already.

My decision was simple therefore when out hosts offered this current crossover special - its a no brainer I quikly shipped a few pcs still in PCGS to "meet their fate".

Yes it may have costs a tad more now - but in the overall scheme of things it is just fine.

Hopefully I'll have good news too ;O
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm in different in that I'm less concerned abt grades and just want a slab because that means my coin is authentic.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    27 NGC coins sent on the crossover special and was surprised at the quick turn around time. Economy order only took 17 working days.

13 of the 27 crossed, one crossed at higher grade (65+ vs 65). I was happy and a little surprised on several of the crosses. There were two 1/0 and two 2/0 coins to make it.

7 of the coins were silver
    6 were copper/bronze

• WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    The current crossover special was a win-win IMO, so I took advantage of it too.
    Turn around times were outstanding and I have my order shared HERE
    Congratulations to those that took part in this special. Perhaps we can learn something from them. Here is a breakdown of my results.

Was NGC XF40. Crossed to PCGS XF45.

Was NGC XF45. Crossed to PCGS XF45.

Was NGC AU58. DNC

Was NGC XF45 Crossed to PCGS AU53

Was NGC MS62. Crossed to PCGS MS62.

Was NGC MS62. DNC

Was NGC MS64. Crossed to PCGS MS64.
    imageimage

Was NGC MS64. DNC
    imageimage

Was ANACS AU55. DNC

I am surprised that the Bolivian and Mexico 1868-O AE 8R did not cross, but that's the way it goes.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a gorgeous 1868 Oaxaca, Bill. 1825 Mexico ain't bad either. Not bad at all!
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WWW what a nice lot. Thanks for sharing !