Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to get a single 1909 S-VDB graded? MINT MARK SCAN ADDED

I'm into baseball cards, not coins. But, I do have a 1909 S-VDB that I acquired probably 40+ years ago in a condition that was described to me at that time as VF. Although it is in my bank lockbox and I can't see it now, Ibelieve it is pretty nice with all wheat lines on the back showing. I am considering selling it, and I was wondering if I should have it graded first, in order to maximize the sales price. If so, how does one go about getting a single coin like this graded? I know about baseball cards/PSA, but not about coins. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well worth it to get it graded. Otherwise, some people may suspect it is not genuine.

There are plenty of PCGS authorized dealers who should be willing to help you out. If none are near you, you might know a collectors club member with submission privileges. Or you could join yourself at the lowest level (about fifty bucks a year). Lots of options, but yeah, get it graded/authenticated.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, for sure make sure your envelope has a 45c stamp on it.

peacockcoins

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. if you are good at taking images, large ones, you can probably post here and we can give you an idea about it.

2. You can go ahead and submit it to PCGS or another company as the process is pretty much the same OR you can find a dealer to submit it for you. read here

3. the process for submitting

4. pcgs associated fees

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't go through a PCGS Dealer it is going to cost you $92 to get it graded:

$49 Silver Mempership
    $18 Economy Grading Fee
    $ 8 Submission Fee
    $17 Return Postage

I don't know what a dealer would charge for the service.
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I also have a nice 1931-S Lincoln penny that I might want to get graded, too. I live in a town of 20,000+, so I might have to go to a dealer in Paducah to see what I can work out. Thanks again.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you want to sell it through

greatcollections

they will arrange the grading as long as you sell through them

will be a lot less costly IMO
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    get it graded as you never know that it could be a fake
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps someone here would let you tag along on one of their submissions.
  • Options
    After posting this message over two years ago, I finally got the coin out of the lockbox. I've scanned it, rather than take pictures. I realize scans can sometimes screw up the appearance of coins, so I hope this comes out okay. Being a baseball card guy and not a coin guy, my first question is: Does it appear to be real? I got it about 45-50 years ago when I was a young teenager in a trade for some silver. My second question is: How do I get it graded so that I can sell it? Some posts two years ago suggested something called greatcollections. I know nothing about that.

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0001.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0002.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0003-3.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    judgebuck, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your example is one of many that is a fake. The style of the S is "wormy" and doesn't correctly match any of the known 1909-S VDB mintmarks.

Such coins are extremely common, and were created by adding the "S" to normal 1909-VDB coins.

If its any consolation, better to have bought it in a trade 50+ years ago vs. paying up for a bad example nowadays. This unfortunately, along with coins like the 16-D Mercury dime, is why collectors of most key dates need to protect themselves by only buying certified genuine pieces.

The link below from cointalk can be helpful -- check the four known mintmark positions. Unfortunately, your example's mintmark is wormy, too thick on the bottom edge, which is the immediate giveaway.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-to-tell-if-your-1909-s-v-d-b-is-real.78043/
  • Options
    Wow! It doesn't hurt as bad since I traded for it 45-50 years ago. Being a baseball card guy, I would only buy a key card in graded state. Didn't know they faked this coin that many years ago. Thanks for your honest assessment, although I am disappointed. Do others of you agree that it is fake?

• Options
    jp84jp84 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    Yes it definitely looks like a fake from the image you posted.

• Options
    I am sorry for the disappointment! I can imagine how it would feel; I enjoy collecting both baseball cards and coins.

While I believe I am correct regarding your coin, please do get some other assessments here. There are many knowledgeable collectors and dealers who will give you the straight truth as they see it.

If possible, can you share much larger/closely cropped scans of the mintmark area, and the vdb initials on the reverse? A scan is fine if large enough. That would give 100% clarity to what I am 99% sure is a fake.

Take care! Your instincts regarding graded key cards are exactly right -- same pretty well applies to key date coins like this. Not sure when it first became worthwhile to fake 1909-S VDBs, but likely the fakers were pretty well underway by the early 50's. Some are extremely crude, others can fool experts. Yours is a pretty decent fake, that probably has fooled many since it was made. It's easy to spot once you know what to look for, but not so easy if you have no experience with the coin.
  • Options
    Here is another scan, closer to the mint mark.

• Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    Here is a closer scan. And, thanks for the pictures showing the differences.

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0021-2.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s260.photobucket.com/user/dbuck01/media/IMG_0031-1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    Yeah, just not the correct style S. Sorry about that, judgebuck. image
  • Options
    Hey, I'm not worried about it. If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, then I am truly blessed. Thanks so much to all of you for your comments and opinions. I may start checking out this coin forum just for fun and education.

P.S. Now if I found that my 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth PSA 5 graded baseball card was counterfeit, I would be truly upset.

• Options

<< <i>Hey, I'm not worried about it. If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, then I am truly blessed. Thanks so much to all of you for your comments and opinions. I may start checking out this coin forum just for fun and education.

P.S. Now if I found that my 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth PSA 5 graded baseball card was counterfeit, I would be truly upset. >>

Good attitude, and I would be too! Which # Ruth do you have? Bet it's beautiful. image My #181 is a PSA 2.
  • Options
    It's #53, the rarest of the four Ruth cards. I looked at it today while at the lockbox. It has 50/50 l/r centering and about 60/40 t/b. Got it at the National convention three or so years ago from a reputable dealer.

• Options
    Sounds like a gem. Congrats! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file