Home PSA Set Registry Forum

best way to "cut" a hand cut card

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is it best to careful cut the card with a razor, allowing for clean, sharp borders, or, does it make a difference leaving the perforations along the dotted lines? I've taken a look at some graded cards and it appears some have the latter and some have clean lines. The issue comes into play with an OC designation when the dotted lines remain inside the perforation.

Best way to do this?

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have to be more specific.

On the Bazooka cards as well as other issues from the 1960's that came on boxes with dotted lines separating them from other cards or the box design, the dotted lines need to show all the way around for a good grade.

On perforated cards, I have seen some inconsistent results. The 1961 Post perforated cards get an "Authentic" grade if "chads" are trimmed off, however I have seen at least one 1971 Dell stamp get an 8 that had the perforated edge trimmed off.

Not enough dotted lines showing

Post a scan or pm me and I'll let you know what I think.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    As to perforations I also have seen inconsistent grading on some perforated cards. I have the 1967 Topps Punch Out set complete and in the course of completing that set ended up buying several graded cards ( later freed from bondage). On these cards, which came in strips of three, each card should have at least one jagged edge ( top and bottom cards) and some cards two ( middle cards). I have seen cards with straight edges on both ends get very high grades, even though they clearly had to be cut or trimmed rather than simply separated. And I have seen cards with perfect centering and no obvious defects get lower grades, I assume because of a perforated end with a jagged edge ( natural in my view) .
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You will have to be more specific.

On the Bazooka cards as well as other issues from the 1960's that came on boxes with dotted lines separating them from other cards or the box design, the dotted lines need to show all the way around for a good grade.

On perforated cards, I have seen some inconsistent results. The 1961 Post perforated cards get an "Authentic" grade if "chads" are trimmed off, however I have seen at least one 1971 Dell stamp get an 8 that had the perforated edge trimmed off.

Not enough dotted lines showing

Post a scan or pm me and I'll let you know what I think.

Joe >>

You sure are not kidding there. image

This one is a beauty but look at the grade.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
    fiveniner, that's a beautiful Mantle!

This Killebrew didn't grade well either.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Joe and Tony--They look nice to me...for whatever that's worth image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    Thanks bishop, seems like PSA treats these rather harshly as well as '71 and '75 Topps.

Joe

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    on the killebrew there is likely a crease on the reverse.. (very common)
    No crease on the Killebrew.

On the other hand this card has no border showing and gets an 8 !

No border

Very strange.

Joe
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got an email from PSA regarding hand cutting...

The perforations should be shown, NOT cut. So, using a straight edge to "cut" the card will hurt the grade. One has to then assume that a constant bending and rebending along the dotted perforation, then gently tearing the card is the way to go. The registration of the card at the initial printing obviously impacts the end result.
    Unless PSA gives it a grade! This Dell stamp was way off-center so I cut it down and just for fun, I sent it in figuring it would not get slabbed.

Here's what they should look like;

Joe Here

Joe
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    how about this one?

hand cut? perforated? you make the call...

Link

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
    I wish people would spend the few pennies it takes to allow the "zoom" feature.

Looks perforated to me and perfectly centered, but cant really tell.

PSA says it's a 10 so it doesn't matter, does it?

Joe