Home Metal Detecting

Weekend of June 3rd 2012 - at least 4 silvers, including a silver coin first!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
On Friday I got out to a local park. Didn't find anything coin-wise but sometime in the hunt I get a higher pitch signal that turned out to be a ring with a reddish stone. It actually looked like aluminum and I couldn't find any markings so threw it in the pouch to check out later.

A while later a zincoln signal shows up, and just under the surface was a very thin ring. It looked too good to be junk, but it wasn't quite a gold signal, and it wasn't quite a silver signal. I saw a mark but wasn't sure if it was 585 or 925. Threw it in my pouch and kept wondering which it was. Got it home and saw 925. At least it's silver, but it's only .7 grams. That gives is value of about a dollar, haha, but better than iron!

Get home and start cleaning that reddish stone ring. The polish turned black, which generally indicates silver. Couldn't see any signs of plating, and the silver test kit indicated silver. I did notice a couple of markings, BUT they're on the outside of the band - not inside. Originally thought it was two small dents. However, there's still no silver mark. I'm hesitant to call it silver due to no markings, but either way it only weighs 1.5 grams, but it looks to be a real stone of some sort. Do you guys think I should call it silver? The maker could potentially be Per Visholm, a Danish jeweler.

Got back out today to a different park. Started out with a "St. Rita" charm (probably silver plated). No idea who Saint Rita is, but the charm wants her to pray for us.

A little while later a shallow dime signal shows - about 2 inches down it's a dime... not thinking anything I wipe the obverse and see Miss Liberty staring back - son of a.... I just hairlined a merc. It was darker so I thought it was clad. Just a common '42, fortunately.

A little while later a 1944 Merc appears.

As the hunt neared its end I get a deeper quarter signal. After digging about 6 inches I hit a rock, but the item's still in there somewhere, throwing my shovel in there, it finally comes out with a small bit of dirt. WOO, it's a quarter! Wait... that's not a U.S. quarter. My philosophy is, if it can't be identified right away, it's probably Canadian. Took it home, cleaned it up, a 1901 Canadian Quarter - a very nice change of pace. My first silver canadian quarter - very cool! Very lucky I didn't mangle it with the shovel as it must've come exceptionally close to it.

Comments

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    oooh, very cool! image
  • Nice! I had a strange visit from the Darkside on my hunt yesterday as well. I need to post a report on it.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that people long ago new you would be detecting in these areas and just threw their goodies away just so you could find them now and make the rest of us wonder, "What will he find next?"
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you ever get the urge to mess with other detectoists?

Years ago I detected a local park and got a dozen or so deep signals that were
    quite strong on my Whites VSAT. All dug and all about 4 to 6 inches and all were
    22 lead bullets (no casings). Somebody had dug the park and then when
    they filled the hole they threw in the bullet heads.

Got messed with big time!

Kind of ruined my day. Wonder if it was done on purpose to keep other detectors
    out of that park. I kept the bullets.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a recent thread over on Treasurenet! One of the detectorists puts a couple of tags in the ground each time he hunts. That sparked some other stories about people messing with detectorists. Very interesting thread.

Thread Here

Who's got some BB's and ball bearings? Let's find out where American Diggers are going and toss 500 BBs in their fields!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice group of silver guy... congratulations. Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pickups. i like the ring with the red stone in it image