Home Metal Detecting

Clueless - How to go about choosing right model/type/price

Hello, everyone!

With Father's Day around the corner, I've learned that my Dad finds the prospect of metal detecting very compelling. While I can be dangerous regarding coins, I haven't a clue about how to go about researching detectors, features, quality, price, etc., and have come here for what I'm sure could be valuable help and advice.

I am just beginning to learn, have barely cracked the spine, as it were, and if the members here are as gracious and helpful as on the coin forums - and I've no doubt this is true - I felt coming here is my best, first step.

Dad's likely hunting venue would be land. Lives in the Phoenix area, has been retired now for several years, yet remains active, sharp, and ornery as ever. He's a novice coin collector, isn't likely to spend much time on a sandy beach - how many of those can there be in Phoenix? - and he would prefer a relatively simple setup. Technology isn't his strong suit, yet he likely would want something which has the power and effectiveness modern technology can provide.

Can you offer some suggestions as to where I might begin my research?

Thanks, Michael
UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like he might be a good candidate for a Garrett Ace 250 or Ace 350. A lot of people have one of these machines and they're both solid for the money.

When I was researching my detector I went to Treasurenet and also looked at many Youtube videos. There are lot of head-to-head comparisons on youtube and you can see the prospective detector in action.

Good luck on the search!
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, I'll have a look!
    UBERCOINER

• ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Looks like about $300 would buy an excellent, servicable model for a "beginner"... I'll keep comparing... any other suggestions?

Thanks, everyone, really appreciate your insight!

Michael
    UBERCOINER

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great suggestion for a beginner. And, being in Phoenix, later he may decide to nugget hunt. Then he would need a good gold machine. Cheers, RickO