Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

San Francisco Two Coin Silver Eagle Set Priced at $149.95

carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
link

Little higher than my !24.99 guess. I will buy at least 1 set.

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Surprising. I thought the price would be lower considering the large mintage numbers this will probably get to.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    With the price of silver they should be $99.99. image
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    They will soon be cheaper on ebay.
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    Half the price of 25th sets with only 2 coins and silver below $28? Seems high to me. That's ok maybe they won't sell as many.
    GMan
  • Options
    johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭
    wow, more than I had guessed, even when silver was higher.

its that fancy blue wood box. ha.

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    So the price of silver is down about $10.00 oz. since the 25th anniv. sets were priced and you got 5 coins for $299.00 and now it $150.00 for 2 coins?
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Does eBay have a new policy about not selling the OGP without both coins?
  • Options
    Ill pass...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that's one way to make sure that the ordering system doesn't get swamped.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be real interesting. How many will they sell now? I agree that the pricing is a little rich, especially when you look at the price of silver and the pricing on the 25th sets. It should certainly dampen the demand from the heavy flippers. I'm going to wait and see how things shake out. There could be a frenzy with these, but maybe not until the last day as opposed to the usual first day fiasco. If they aren't selling well initially, you can be sure the last few days will be busy...
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    I think after all the turned off mint customers from last time and the high price these might actually have a low mintage once everyone gets done not ordering. image
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    Rip....offff. But I will be forced to get a couple because.....well I just have too image
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...I'll be in for 5 initially...and then I'll wait and see how things develop.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Half the price of 25th sets with only 2 coins and silver below $28? Seems high to me. That's ok maybe they won't sell as many. >>

The mint has learned to keep squeezing people for as long as they keep lining up at the trough

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mintage predictions?
    300,000???
    Hard call for me & if I didn't collect SAE I would skip for sure.
    Count me for a slavish ONE set.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rip....offff. But I will be forced to get a couple because.....well I just have too image >>

image I like this answer because it's something I try not to relate to. image
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I would only be in it to flip it. If they are over priced (I think so) and over produced (probably) it is obviously going to be a pass for me.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too expensive. If it doesn't flip, we must skip.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>They will soon be cheaper on ebay. >>

Cheapest will be from the modern dealers once the flood from bulk grading is in inventory.

The limited mintage 2011 set, some dealers could not get rid of their sets fast enough. On this one, the dealers will get rid of them faster.

I wonder what the bulk grading prices NGC + PCGS will charge for the SF 2012 sets? image

Flood price prediction: a 2012 SF 70 NGC set for $189.99, PCGS another ten bucks at $199.99
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    high volume modern coin dealers will drive up sales/mintage. John, how many are you guys buying? image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint Link

Price to be determined. This product will be available for sale on June 07, 2012 at 12:00 Noon (ET).
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Given the high price, maybe these'll end up like the 10th Anniversary Sets.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking $125.00

I am surprised.

Will get my 1 for my collection.....

Mintage will be lower on these then initially figured.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    What the heck, I'm in for at least 5 sets!
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>high volume modern coin dealers will drive up sales/mintage. John, how many are you guys buying? image >>

I was expecting $129, At this price I will reduce our order by 40%. I will avoid the "how many" answer. image

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    Will be interesting to see the slab labeling variations offered -

Mercanti tombstone + Mercanti flag? Tombstone only? Flag? No Flag? Letter of Cert?

I think a Mercanti Golden Gate Bridge will be de rigueur.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Including the regular basic labels (PCGS blue and NGC brown) I expect NGC will offer four and PCGS five or six because of Mercanti. That's the labels themselves. Adding in First Strike, ER, FR etc doesn't change the labels but multiplies the possibilities to around 24. If someone else besides Mercanti signs labels, then moy (?) woops thats more.....

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

I'll be in for a few.With even the nay sayers picking up at least 5 sets I dont see a low mintage offering at this time.My crystal ball tells me that the mintage will be about 600k.The 2011 RP will continue to be the key of a RP set.
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Definitely higher than I expected. Hard to justify this price after the pricing of the 25ths. I guess on the positive side, that might push the mintage numbers down a bit. I will still be in for one or two.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    High as a cat's back.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comparing the $150 price of the set with the prices and mintages of existing Silver Eagles may give us a rough estimate of a "fair value" mintage.

Assume an initial cost of $75 per coin. For the regular proof, the closest comparison is the 1994-P Silver Eagle which sells around $75 raw or MS69, with a mintage of 372K. For the reverse proof, the closest comparison is the 2006-P which sells for around $210 raw or MS69, with a mintage of 250K.

I think demand for the 2012-S regular proof will be less than demand for the 1994-P, simply because many proof collectors are content with the one-per-year regular issues, bypassing "special" coins such as the 1995-W. So this would put demand for the 2012-S regular proof at less than 372K, perhaps substantially less.

On the other hand, demand for the 2012-S reverse proof at $75 is likely to be somewhat higher than 250K, based on the higher price of the 2006-P. The 2012-S reverse proof will be sought by type collectors as the least expensive specimen of its type, and by those looking to collect reverse proofs as a separate series.

Based on today's prices and collecting habits, I would estimate that "fair value" for the set would be around $150 if the final mintage comes in at between 325K and 350K.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Buy and hold!.........the first strike sets(unopened) will bring a premium down the road but it could be years........unless the final mintage is below 250K................
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping for 129 - expected 139.

149 is a bit too high considering falling bullion prices, the USM should be considering reducing the price of it's proof eagles a few bucks, maybe to 53.95-55.95.

Considering the cost of material and pricing inline with 2011 25th sets, this set should cost no more than 139. (25th sets - $60 per coin avg, take the proofs at a couple bucks more than the uncs, say $65 per proof x2)

• Options
    I'll ask again - so what happens to all the returns as that will be after the sales window has closed and presumably there will be no more sales.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

No worries ibex.The ordering period ends on July 5th.So while you cant order more,the mint can make more.If they send me a rejected product and if I send it back within the return allowed period,,they can mint more to complete the orders recieved. As for returns,they do what they do now melt them down.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Now if they just blackout the Sales Data for a while, good old reverse psychology will ensure a mega sales number. Everyone ends up thinking that very few will be buying these so wow I better order far more than I normally would.

End result - big bucks for our friend the US Mint. But will there be a secondary market? I can only guess. And my guess probably would be way off.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>high volume modern coin dealers will drive up sales/mintage. John, how many are you guys buying? image >>

I was expecting $129, At this price I will reduce our order by 40%. I will avoid the "how many" answer. image

John >>

Due to the higher price, I, too, will be reducing my order. By roughly 50%. image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    silverstreaksilverstreak Posts: 225 ✭✭
    watch and see for me. I'm in the 300,000 mintage crowd. I'm telling myself not to order so I better double up because I'm probably wrong just like when I thought the UHR Gold Eagle was too pricey image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $125 is what I was guessing, must be some exotic wood used in making the case image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    At that price there could be some serious losses for flippers who overestimate demand. I see them selling on eBay for $100-120 in a few months. The big guys will flood the market with 70's and demand for unopened boxes may be close to nill. The Mint is milking this cow dry.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At that price there could be some serious losses for flippers who overestimate demand. I see them selling on eBay for $100-120 in a few months. The big guys will flood the market with 70's and demand for unopened boxes may be close to nill. The Mint is milking this cow dry. >>

I'm inclined to agree with you on these . . . BUT . . . I also initally thought the 20th Anniversary mintage was too high at the time, but bought a Judas box anyway.
    That turned out very well ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    So why the long wait to announce the price?? It obviously wasn't related to spot silver since it's $45 over spot PER COIN....even if silver had gone to $50/ounce it still would be a 50% premium over spot...image
  • Options
    Well what I got from customer service when I called the mint a month ago, the mintage will be based on the number of people who order them both by phone & online, from June-7th, and til the order date stops (cannot remeber how many days they said they will take orders for the 2-coin set) but after all the orders are in, is what they are going to produce.mintage wise, Now if that is true ? then who knows what the mintage will be, but I believe they will not stop after the last order date on the mintage, like I read here, if they can milk all the people for more money on orders, then I believe they will absolutely make alot more, then the Information they told me. !!!
    Amateurs ... Built the Ark.
    Professionals ... Built the Titanic
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So why the long wait to announce the price?? It obviously wasn't related to spot silver since it's $45 over spot PER COIN....even if silver had gone to $50/ounce it still would be a 50% premium over spot...image >>

No different than the ATB Puerto Rico P. $11 over/oz. That crappy blue cardboard box and felt plastic holder are $40 items for sure, so really they're only making $10/order. Riiiiiight. Pass.
  • Options
    the MintNewsBlog.com has a very good explanation of the prices:

"At first impression, the pricing for the special set seems high. However, by dissecting the prices of past offerings, the price doesn’t seem too far out of line.

The 2011 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set, which contained five coins (a proof, reverse proof, two uncirculated coins, and a bullion coin) was priced at $299.95. At the time of offering, the US Mint was selling individual proof coins at $58.95 each, individual uncirculated coins at $50.95 each, and an individual bullion coin would have been at least $34. Adding up these four coins ($58.95, $50.95, $50.95, and $34) yields $194.85, leaving $105.10 for the reverse proof coin and packaging.

The US Mint currently sells the individual “W” mint marked proof coin for $59.95, which leaves $90 for the reverse proof coin and packaging within the upcoming San Francisco Silver Eagle Set.

These numbers are not completely comparable and transferable due to different production volumes and differences in the price of silver, but roughly seem to support pricing for the upcoming set."
  • Options
    wow, price gouging. They must have stolen the Perth Mint playbook.
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Let's see. To me, Overdate's post makes a good case for why even at $150, this set will at least hold its value for the collector.

Also, how likely is it that the S Reverse Proof will be worth more than, say $100? ($150 for the set minus a $50 floor for a regular proof.)

Or, how likely is it that the S proof itself will be worth more than the value of generic proof silver eagles?

Depends on the mintage, we all say. And depends on what the Mint will do next year to milk these cows.

Even so, I'm guessing it's pretty likely on both counts that these coins will hold and even exceed that $150 value at least for the next year.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ill pass as well
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read. Several members here flipped the 2010 Pucks and the 25th Anniv. set for several times purchase price. Now the Mint raises price a bit and all the flippers are getting upset because the Mint is taking some of their profit.

For all who complained about the Pucks and 25th sets that still made a profit get used to it. The Mint will probably take a little of "your" profit from now on.
  • Options
    Maybe the mint did a study like this, as the price of the item supplied increases, the demand drops, so the intersecting point was $149.95?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file