Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

EAC question (1/2 cent)

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, which would you think is harder to find a nice example of....

1794 half cent (say, in the VF-XF range) or
1802 half cent (in the VG-F range)

?

And, I am talking no issues that would prevent it from being holdered.

I know what I have seen available over the last 2 years or so, but wondering what others that may know the series think.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are willing to go the annual EAC auction, and you are willing accept a piece that has been skillfully recolored, I think that the 1794 in VF-EF is easier to find than the 1802 in strict VG-Fine with smooth surfaces. Most of the 1802 half cents you see grade Good with poor to so-so surfaces.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly waiting to see what the real experts (like Bill) say, but from my own limited experience, I have seen nice '94 half cents, but have never seen a nice '02 half cent.
    Weren't the majority of '02's struck on old cut down large cent planchets or something similar?
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I know the 1794 cents are extremely hard to come by, and the 1794 half cents are supposed to be much more common. I just haven't seen a lot of them.
    I have seen more 1802, but like you say, most of those are not that nice looking.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the 1794 is easier camp...I've seen some very nice ones...can't afford really nice right now but have seen them. 02's are usually scruffy, not that I'd turn down a giveaway. Mine looks like it was shot in the back with bird shot.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    In my experience a nice no-problem 1802 is MUCH harder to locate.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an 1802 half cent that was once in my collection. It came from the Garrett collection and was listed in the Breen half cent book condition census. Most half cent collectors would not agree with that, but it is a nice example for the 1802 C-2 variety. This piece could not get a slab grade, however because it was said to be "cleaned."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you are willing to go the annual EAC auction, and you are willing accept a piece that has been skillfully recolored, I think that the 1794 in VF-EF is easier to find than the 1802 in strict VG-Fine with smooth surfaces. Most of the 1802 half cents you see grade Good with poor to so-so surfaces. >>

Bill is correct.
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    I've got a pcgs graded 1802 f-12 ( debatable - more like a vg-8) I picked up 8 years ago - haven't seen
    many better ( that I could afford ) since then but have seen many vf-xf 1794's in that time period - so in
    my opinion 1802 is harder to locate hands down
    palmer
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id say the 1802 is. maybe its just hitting it right and the issue not being there. jmo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file