Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody like original Proof and Mint Sets

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
I do and guess what came in Just before i left on Vacation

Comments

• Options
    copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    Destined to be some nice finds in those boxes! Enjoy the search.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowza!!!
    Bound to be some goodies in there..
    Some of my favorite years in there.. Looks like good times!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Wow, I would embarass myself in front of the seller if something like that walked in for me to buy. I would have to excuse myself to go to the bathroom.......
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Commence the sucking!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The epitome of envy is a "You Suck" award.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    DAYUM!

I am confused by the shrink wrap, though. I wonder why someone would do that?

In any case ...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love the double mint sets....
    Should I just send you my address now? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    oooh to the possibilities
    please update
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice group, gotta be some nice finds in them. image
    The insured shipping has sure gone up since then. LOL!
    Ed
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Now go open those things up and let us know what you found!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like lots of fun.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    Post some nice photos of the opening process!
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    image No washers!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh, I am so freaking jealous! Have fun with them... I'm hoping you'll keep us updated.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    /drool!

Very nice!!
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, very neat
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Let us know how they end up looking!
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    Wow! That'll be a lot of fun searching through all those!

When you get to the 1954 sets check for the Franklin DDO FS-101. It's a very tough one to find! Only one graded by PCGS.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they "unsearched?" If so ... then have fun!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious to know if the plastique wrap had any effect on the tone process in the mint sets.

I've seen sets where the individual boards were wrapped in AL foil which seemed to retard the toning.

In theory, your sets in plastic wrap may have toned more deeply than normal since the concentration of gaseous sulfur compounds in the immediate vicinity of the coins would be higher since the gas could not diffuse as readily. Hard to say when the plastic was put on.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm curious to know if the plastique wrap had any effect on the tone process in the mint sets.

I've seen sets where the individual boards were wrapped in AL foil which seemed to retard the toning.

In theory, your sets in plastic wrap may have toned more deeply than normal since the concentration of gaseous sulfur compounds in the immediate vicinity of the coins would be higher since the gas could not diffuse as readily. Hard to say when the plastic was put on. >>

Great questions. Though I've never purchased a set that was wrapped in aluminum I've had the opportunity to open/buy/review dozens that were wrapped in saran wrap or plastic. None were done like this, most had the paper flap removed and then were wrapped. Some even had the paper flap and the paper on the reverse surgically removed and then were wrapped. NONE of these were exceptional sets and most looked dull and below average. I can't exactly explain why but those are my experiences.

I don't think the plastic wrap will have caused them to tone more deeply.

I'd like my copper well done please!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file