Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

does Ebay's new selling rules= less listing for you?

after another email from ebay "warning", i mean, reminding me that new standards are in effect, how many of you members are going to continue using ebay or are you going to divest altogether? Do any of you forsee ebay pricing and regulating themselves out of this secondary market?

Comments

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I don't remember seeing anything. Can you share what the latest rules are for selling?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    My ebay sales are already almost non existent except for a few items I sell every now and then. Ebay has been screwing sellers over for the majority of the last 8 years or so.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't remember seeing anything. Can you share what the latest rules are for selling? >>

You basically have to add a minimum 14-day money-back return policy, and set a 1-day handling time (and provide tracking to prove your handling time). It's a real pain in the ass because I used to not offer a return policy since a seller can very easily get scammed by this (when selling cards), and I used to carry a 2-3 day handling time and not use tracking on low-dollar items. Sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    no. i won't cower to them for a pitance.

my policy has been No Returns for as long as i've been a seller. never a problem. who'd want to return nice PSA cards anyways? [eyeroll, smirk]

but, the one-day thing sticks in my craw the most. just recently i've been dealing with some minor physical issues which have precluded my ability to get all packages out within that one day window.

i don't want to open myself up to the possibility that buyers can holler about a $10 item which didn't get flipped overnight. blah.

just keep on doing what you do. only a few short years ago there was no such thing as a 10% or 20% fee reduction for good behavior and i was fine with it then as well.
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    Exact opposite for me. I'm listing more as other sellers bow down for their 20% discount on FV fees. It's easier to list cheap cards with free shipping while everyone else is worried about tracking info. eBay is forcing sellers to upload tracking info so they can double dip you on shipping. If you use free shipping, they can't charge you a FV fee on shipping. I sell cheap $1-$5 cards...and ship for free. No way I could compete by adding another $1.65 onto the price of these cards. I'd rather keep my buyers happy with cheaply priced cards...than to worry about lining eBays pockets with tons of FV fees on shipping. That 20% discount just isn't worth it. The sales outweigh the silly discount by a long shot.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Exact opposite for me. I'm listing more as other sellers bow down for their 20% discount on FV fees. It's easier to list cheap cards with free shipping while everyone else is worried about tracking info. eBay is forcing sellers to upload tracking info so they can double dip you on shipping. If you use free shipping, they can't charge you a FV fee on shipping. I sell cheap $1-$5 cards...and ship for free. No way I could compete by adding another $1.65 onto the price of these cards. I'd rather keep my buyers happy with cheaply priced cards...than to worry about lining eBays pockets with tons of FV fees on shipping. That 20% discount just isn't worth it. The sales outweigh the silly discount by a long shot. >>

I still offer free shipping too.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Ya, your right, don't worry about this stuff. I think it is a way to handle some of therip-off type sellers. If your straight up and deliver your products then it won't affect you anyway...
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Totally...on higher priced items...no worries offering free shipping and sending a bubble mailer with tracking and delivery confirmation at a cost of $1.64 which complies with eBay's new seller standards. But for common cards that sell for 1.50....$2...you just can't sell them by doubling your price, or charging the buyer $1.65 to ship a card worth that little.
  • Options
    raykasaraykasa Posts: 186 ✭✭
    I see some valid points here- thank you very much. how close are you guys to stopping ebay selling based on the increasing of fees? it seems every year or so we get another increase. curious to see who will stop totally if....
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i'm closer to dumping my health insurance policy, discontinuing the use of petroleum products and eating from the 4 main food groups.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to reduce my listing of high value cards, basically anything over $250. With the new rules it becomes a game of what type of loss are you OK with. One the lower dollar cards, the new rules really don't matter to me and I am willing to lose the 20% FVF discount over them.
    Mike
  • Options
    Most of these ebay sports card sellers aren't old enough to remember the pre-eBay days when it difficult as hell to sell cards. You had to put an ad in SCD or set up at a show. If you sold cards to a dealer at a show, you'd only get 50% from those a-hole dealers. Now, it's so trivial to sell cards !!! I LOVE eBay !!!
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I use return policly only on items over $300 and 3 day return notification.I do offer free shipping but thats as far as it goes..I am probably done selling on Ebay
    in the very near future.There is just too many D>>>>>MN rules that turn me off.Offering free shipping and a 14 day return policyand 1 day handling makes you a better seller,
    YA RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since my items are usually not high ticket on most occasions I lose money on Free Shipping and if I use and exact shipping I get tabbed by Ebay.So whats a person to do.If I raise my prices to compensate the cards will just sit there.What really bought this on is some sellers charging unreasonable shipping prices in the first place.Example $4 or $5 dollars for 1 card.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    Nothing changes for me at all. I've been complying w/ the new rules since the beta started (and they gave an additional discount), and have not had one return during this time. Before this, I had a 7 day return policy. I've probably sold around 2000 cards on ebay in the last couple of years, and during this time, I've only gotten 2-3 returns.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of these ebay sports card sellers aren't old enough to remember the pre-eBay days when it difficult as hell to sell cards. You had to put an ad in SCD or set up at a show. If you sold cards to a dealer at a show, you'd only get 50% from those a-hole dealers. Now, it's so trivial to sell cards !!! I LOVE eBay !!! >>

Ebay does make it easy to sell cards, but I did enjoy buying and selling at shows.
    Mike
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Anyone selling volume won't have an issue but the 10 to 15 item a month sellers will have a hard time once they start getting returns and switchs in the mail. It happens on mostly newer cards I have found but it happens.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    "Nothing changes for me at all. I've been complying w/ the new rules since the beta started (and they gave an additional discount), and have not had one return during this time. Before this, I had a 7 day return policy. I've probably sold around 2000 cards on ebay in the last couple of years, and during this time, I've only gotten 2-3 returns. "

I could not agree more and my business has been about the same. I always offered a return and used DC on all items sold so no real change. I rarely get returns so I dont understand the big deal. I think it gets me more buyers as they have confidence to purchase and if they are not happy they can return it no questions asked. Its just good business. As far as worried about being ripped off, the scammers will always find a way to screw you whatever the rules are, I remember the days when sellers could hold you hostage on feedback, I think its a positive change and will eliminate a lot of the bad sellers.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will list the same as before, but I will go to the 14 day return policy in order to get the eBay "pittance".

When I get a backlog of cards, I list them on eBay, as it has been said it's the best way to sell cards BY FAR!

Having had no returns on any of my auctions, and already using the one day handling and free shipping, I can't see why I wouldn't be happy with any kind of discount.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    gotta ask the new sellers, do their monthly selling limits ever get lifted?
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I have a question about "maximum exposure". What does Ebay mean when they say a top seller will receive "maximum exposure"? I was always under the impression that your listing would always be found if a potential buyer searched for an item that matched an item you were selling. Am I wrong? What benefit is it to anyone if Ebay limits your exposure, and for that matter, limits the number of items you can list? In any business, isn't the goal to sell as much as possible? Only in bizarro Ebay world would they have rules that limit sales.
  • Options
    It is beacuse of these rules and constraints on me the seller that I have developed my own new website that launches today. For those that know me you may have noticed my sets being neglected, this is why. I created this for everyone, buyers, selles, and broswers alike. These two topics are very fitting as I am launching go live tonight. Sorry for the spam but is kind of on topic as I will be doing less and less listing on Ebay.

Sports Card Direct.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a question about "maximum exposure". What does Ebay mean when they say a top seller will receive "maximum exposure"? I was always under the impression that your listing would always be found if a potential buyer searched for an item that matched an item you were selling. Am I wrong? What benefit is it to anyone if Ebay limits your exposure, and for that matter, limits the number of items you can list? In any business, isn't the goal to sell as much as possible? Only in bizarro Ebay world would they have rules that limit sales. >>

I am not exactly sure what it means, but I am assuming that "maximum exposure" means that your listing would be more likely to appear at the top of the list for "Best Match" search criteria or the other "items of interest" when the buyer purchases or looks at listings. As you said, there would be no limit to the exposure, but Top Seller listings would receive additional exposure other listings would not receive. From a business standpoint, ebay wants to sell as much items as possible. In addition to getting close matches to what the buyer is looking for, ebay would also expect that buyers would receive better customer satisfaction from Top Rated sellers. Therefore, it is in ebay's interest to highlight items from these sellers as they would more likely leading to repeat buying from customers.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of these ebay sports card sellers aren't old enough to remember the pre-eBay days when it difficult as hell to sell cards. You had to put an ad in SCD or set up at a show. If you sold cards to a dealer at a show, you'd only get 50% from those a-hole dealers. Now, it's so trivial to sell cards !!! I LOVE eBay !!! >>

If you sold them to a certain obnoxious dealer that advertised everywhere, using a photo holding fistfulls of cash, you'd be lucky to get 10% and a few insults hurled your way as a reward for getting the honor to sell to the King of baseball cards.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding whether my listing habits have changed due to the new rules, I'd say 'not really'. What really dropped my listings is the stupid five star rating system where people give you 4 thinking that's a good rating. My shipping charges which were set lower than DSL and 4SC amongst others were what downgraded me from a top rated seller. So I only utilize my 50 free listings per month and now offer free shipping so people can't ding me for charging $1 to ship a graded card. The hardest thing to comply with is the 1 day handling time. Those of us with day jobs, which are most eBay sellers, don't have the ability to make daily trips to the Post Office as payments trickle in.
  • Options
    Gemint...all you have to do is print the shipping label within 24 hours of payment. You could mail the item a week later. As long as eBay records the fact that your tracking info was uploaded within 24 hours of payment...you are fine on that.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Gemint...all you have to do is print the shipping label within 24 hours of payment. You could mail the item a week later. As long as eBay records the fact that your tracking info was uploaded within 24 hours of payment...you are fine on that.

And this is why Ebay will continue to make more rules and policy changes in the hope of weeding out sellers who don't want to play by the same rules as everyone else. It's great you figured out how to beat the system, but I'm sure the buyer wasn't expecting that kind of slow service when they read in your listing that you feature one day shipping. Now maybe Ebay will change it to delivered within X days of payment so we'll all be at the mercy of the Post Office.
  • Options

<< <i>Gemint...all you have to do is print the shipping label within 24 hours of payment. You could mail the item a week later. As long as eBay records the fact that your tracking info was uploaded within 24 hours of payment...you are fine on that.

And this is why Ebay will continue to make more rules and policy changes in the hope of weeding out sellers who don't want to play by the same rules as everyone else. It's great you figured out how to beat the system, but I'm sure the buyer wasn't expecting that kind of slow service when they read in your listing that you feature one day shipping. Now maybe Ebay will change it to delivered within X days of payment so we'll all be at the mercy of the Post Office. >>

Trust me, if you print out the label within 24 hours, but don't ship in a week, the buyer will find a way to ding some of your DSR's. However, I do think it's more reasonable to have the buyer pay on day 1, and then you print the label on day 2, and ship it on day 3. I think that's fair.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Yeah, those evil dealers who spend money to set up at the show, time to drive to the show, time to pack up, unpack, sit at mall or rented hall for 8 hours for two days, pack up, unpack and they have the nads to try and make a profit by only offering you 50% of book? Wow, I love trivial selling cards for 10% of book and then trying to explain to the a-hole collectors who come into my store wanting to get full book for the 88 Donruss they have and think I'M screwing THEM because I wont pay it.

Did I miss the "Post only if youre high memo for today or what?"
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY