Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another peace newp

A widget..with certain qualities however..

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks kind of PL-ish. Is it?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>Looks kind of PL-ish. Is it? >>

Those are the certain qualities that attracted me to it. I will try to get better pics of it soon. The seller is a good seller and says PL-ish and I see it in the pics so hoping so.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, very interesting!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Let us know what it looks like when you get it.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Could be cool!
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something interesting going on there.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Interested to hear what you think when you have it in hand. Thanks for sharing the pics so far.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    those lines around the "I" of liberty and into that part of the tiara do not look good...hope i'm wrong
    my best hopes go out though for ya
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>those lines around the "I" of liberty and into that part of the tiara do not look good...hope i'm wrong
    my best hopes go out though for ya >>

Well it is a PCGS 63 so it will have some activity. Those hits you mentioned look like standard 63 bag marks. I think it actually looks pretty good for a 63 but my main interest will be the PL-ish-ness of the coin.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    looks PLish! very nice
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I like it. You should try to cross it to get the PL designation from NGC. Unfortunately, PCGS will not designate PL Peace Dollars.
  • Options
    Looking at this has me thinking.......

I wonder if a person whose name rimes with car would care to produce a DMPL Peace dollar.

I'm not generally in favor of reworking history, but I'd buy one! image
  • Options

<< <i>Looking at this has me thinking.......

I wonder if a person whose name rimes with car would care to produce a DMPL Peace dollar.

I'm not generally in favor of reworking history, but I'd buy one! image >>

he did 1964 DMPLs
  • Options
    Hmm. I did not know that.....
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting look for sure. Is is just me or is that baby well struck or what?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting look for sure. Is is just me or is that baby well struck or what? >>

I think its a pretty average strike. In the pics anyway. Coin still in transit.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I think its a pretty average strike. In the pics anyway. Coin still in transit.>>

The lettering seems that of a 21 HR, just saying.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i><<I think its a pretty average strike. In the pics anyway. Coin still in transit.>>

The lettering seems that of a 21 HR, just saying. >>

Yeah now that you mention it the lettering the date and the tail feathers do seem well struck. The hair is average at best though. Might be the lighting. Ill see in hand.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good from here...image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    So I have the PLish peace in hand. What a cool coin. I'm not sure theres anything like frost to get it designated as anything but the fields are like nothing ive seen in hand on a peace dollar. They kind of look like the old bust cap half fields that start to shimmer with refelectivity. MorgansFever was right. The strike is really interesting too. Namely the reverse. Nearly indistinguishable from a 21. The obverse is not as HR-ish as the 21 but it's def not the typical peace dollar.Very sweet coin.
  • Options
    Can you provide some high-res photos, especially of the eagle's talons and olive branches? There were a few odd 1922 high-relief and medium-relief pieces that Might have escaped into circulation. Not sure about 1922-D though. What holder does this live in?
  • Options

<< <i>Can you provide some high-res photos, especially of the eagle's talons and olive branches? There were a few odd 1922 high-relief and medium-relief pieces that Might have escaped into circulation. Not sure about 1922-D though. What holder does this live in? >>

I dont have the technology to do so at this time but I will in the future and I guess Ill resurface the discussion then.
    Is there anything I should look for that might be a good marker for such a thing?
    Its in a PCGS 63 holder
  • Options
    the peace dollar proofs of 1921 and 1922
    these are philly coins
    there are things to look for in just a "couple of them" but not limited to all proofs

if you find a 3 ray reverse on a 1921...............bingo...instant you suck club
    if you find a 4 ray reverse on a 1922................bingo...instant you suck club

some of the other proofs aren't as aparent

there is the whole...tiarra spike in relation to bottom leg of "E" in liberty...compare these...it stands out...still a lil tricky though
    a spike tip that is flush on a 1922........................................................bingo
    a spike tip that extends above the bottom leg of E on a 1921............bingo

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Here's the pics of the same coin from David Lawrence auctions. Scans sure do hide a lot.

imageimage
  • Options
    those scans sux! Coins look better in photos

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>the peace dollar proofs of 1921 and 1922
    these are philly coins
    there are things to look for in just a "couple of them" but not limited to all proofs

if you find a 3 ray reverse on a 1921...............bingo...instant you suck club
    if you find a 4 ray reverse on a 1922................bingo...instant you suck club

there is the whole...tiarra spike in relation to bottom leg of "E" in liberty...compare these...it stands out...still a lil tricky though
    a spike tip that is flush on a 1922........................................................bingo
    a spike tip that extends above the bottom leg of E on a 1921............bingo >>

This isn't correct information. There is no 4 ray 21 or 22, that is on the 35s's only. I think you are thinking of extended rays above the word ONE although they have found 22 HR that have Revel of 21 that are considered survivor cir strikes
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>the peace dollar proofs of 1921 and 1922
    these are philly coins

a spike tip that extends above the bottom leg of E on a 1921............bingo >>

This isn't correct information. There is no 4 ray 21 or 22, that is on the 35s's only. I think you are thinking of extended rays above the word ONE although they have found 22 HR that have Revel of 21 that are considered survivor cir strikes >>

hey crypto,
    the 1922 matte proof high relief peace dollar has 4 rays...please see images at coin facts...notice the 1st coin has a bold 4th ray...also note spike to bottom leg of "E" in liberty (obverse of 21')...linked here
    1922 proof peace dollars

"EVERY 1921" has 4 rays...the reverse is referred as the "1921 reverse" or reverse "A" for that reason

alot of test pieces abound...what 3 types of proofs exsist for the date 1922...matte high,matte low and satin low
    what info really exsist on the 1921 proofs...limited at best...in national archives though i'm sure

and yes
    in 1935...the san francisco mint used 2 reverse dies one being a 4th ray for final striking of mintage ( referred as reverse "C" )
    believed estimate of 200,000 pieces struck making the 4th ray 1935-s a scarcer type (9 to 1)??? i believe

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i do like the looks of it
  • Options
    So in the same 10 day span I bought this coin and the awesome 1921 purple toner from KComics and a couple other peace dollars, and THIS is the coin I cant take my eyes off of.

The more I study it the more intrigued I am by the idea of PL peace dollars. I have now gotten this thing in several different lights and the best way to describe it is it looks just like the hazy Proof walking lib halves that develop that milky haze on them, but you can tell underneath are the proofy fields. There are tiny little milky white and blue spots that I have seen on Proof coinage. So with that in mind, should I dip the coin? I have gotten some advice in private that I can dip for a few seconds. What is the general result expection when the WLH proofs get dipped? Is that what makes them icy? WIll tiny little milk spots even go away?
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi image

I thought that was PL before 1/5 of the Obv image downloaded. Looks like really nice die polish reflecitivity?
    Once you learn to decipher DLRC scans you can do very well indeed! image

Best wishes,
    Eric

Edit to add: I'd not dip. IMHO Pr WLH usually don't go POP like you'd want when dipped with haze. Sometimes they do very much so, other times you get bitten (as has the coin).. It's apparently been good for 90 years - I'd just...wait image It has your attention for 10 days for a reason. I have seen Pr WLH and Mercs get the 1 second dip and they sometimes go BLAST but look all nakey with every flow line or die polish line screaming.
  • Options
    My main concern is those milk spots. If you look in the middle of B E R in the DLRC scans you can see them better than in the pictures. My fear is of spreading. That area has no haze but has the milky spots. Other areas have haze. I think that a dip gives this coin a great chance at PL designation ATS. Reflectivity where there is no haze is pretty good from what I can see.
  • Options

<< <i>My main concern is those milk spots. If you look in the middle of B E R in the DLRC scans you can see them better than in the pictures. My fear is of spreading. That area has no haze but has the milky spots. Other areas have haze. I think that a dip gives this coin a great chance at PL designation ATS. Reflectivity where there is no haze is pretty good from what I can see. >>

I understand, and you probably know I am against dipping almost always. I just think of every die polish line becoming so apparent it competes with the Pl appearance! Then what?

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My main concern is those milk spots. If you look in the middle of B E R in the DLRC scans you can see them better than in the pictures. My fear is of spreading. That area has no haze but has the milky spots. Other areas have haze. I think that a dip gives this coin a great chance at PL designation ATS. Reflectivity where there is no haze is pretty good from what I can see. >>

I understand, and you probably know I am against dipping almost always. I just think of every die polish line becoming so apparent it competes with the Pl appearance! Then what?

Best wishes,
    Eric >>

I too am anti dipping in general. I have dipped only 1 coin and it was a dark sider proof coin which turned out great. I have not even cracked this coin out yet so I am just looking at all the options. The lure of a black fielded peace dollar is grand. Thr haze is really holding this coin back right now from what is clearly underneath. What are your thoughts about NCS working with it?
  • Options
    dont take the risk and ruin a nice coin

• Options

<< <i>What are your thoughts about NCS working with it? >>

Will they tell you what they are using exactly and how?

Well, that place is supposed to be for problem coins. PCGS did not see this as a problem. I don't.
    Upside - it is more of what is already is.
    Downside, it is no longer attractive aka polish lines are doing a kick-line in your face at every angle and it is also dipped of this skin.
    Either way the hits on the face/neck are not going anywhere and this coin is about surfaces anyway not hits/grade.
    I'd rather a few specks or spots and a bit of original haze on a PL Peace $ than a blazing one with overt polish lines and the inevitable "it's been dipped" comment that will follow.
    I see no reason to "improve" this. If it did not have at least decent eye appeal it would not have garnered so many nice comments here. Many of those comments reflect (haha) the Pl look, so I'd leave it as is - what is it looked unnatural or odd after this potential brief bath?

Best wishes - lovely 1$,
    Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file