Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Do you search it or leave it alone? What would you do?

Here's the background. In the mid 1990's I bought a 1986 Topps football rack box. The dealer told me that it had never been opened. When I got home I lifted the flap and removed the cardboard and there, to my surprise, was a Jerry Rice rookie on the top left rack. I put the equalizer cardboard back in place, closed the flap and put the box away. So now it's 15 years later and my son comes home this past weekend to finally empty his stuff from our NY home. While talking cards and my lamenting how good wax is just drying up, the conversation turns to that '86 rack box. My son says I should search it. He says "You have no idea what else is there, in fact, you don't know what's on the back of that Rice rookie rack. Maybe you have another Rice on the back." My response was that the racks have never been touched and I should leave them alone. So here's my question: What would you do? Search it or leave it untouched? I've posted the pictures for those of you who haven't seen them around here before.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost

Comments

• MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Leave it.
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Look at each pack top and bottom and then put the packs back in the same order that they were inside the box.

Then once you know what is in there, decide what to do.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    If you need money, sell each pack individually when football season starts. Prices are pretty strong for this item, currently.

• << <i>If you need money, sell each pack individually when football season starts. Prices are pretty strong for this item, currently. >>

No, I don't need the money. If I did, then this question wouldn't be asked since I would have broken the box down by now. The question is strictly do you search it or leave it. I just want to hear what other board members would do or have done with something similar.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Keep Jerry and possibly Steve in the dark image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Search it...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Leave it #2
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you need money, sell each pack individually when football season starts. Prices are pretty strong for this item, currently. >>

No, I don't need the money. If I did, then this question wouldn't be asked since I would have broken the box down by now. The question is strictly do you search it or leave it. I just want to hear what other board members would do or have done with something similar. >>

Ah ha. Then search it! It's already open so technically you've already searched it to some degree. Might as well go all the way and look for a mega HOF pack.
  • The only real reason, imo, not to look at the packs fronts and backs is so you can say that the box is "unsearched" if you were to ever sell it. But if you were to sell it, and not disclose that there's a Rice rookie on the top, you're leaving money on the table, and not really being honest. And if you mention that there's a Rice rookie on the top "and who knows what else" it actually kind of sounds like a scam or bs.

The only other reason to leave it alone is it preserves the mystery for you. You get to wonder what else may be in the rest of the box. That's a decision only you can make. Is the mystery of the unopened packs enough, or does the whole box need to be unsearched as well?
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    It's already been searched... that's why Rice is the top pack.
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    If you want to sell it, I'm your buyer.
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no way that you could prove this rack box is unsearched. You didn't pull it from the case and you have already admittedly opened it. I don't think you would ever get a premium selling this rack box as "unsearched" because outside of your family and close friends nobody would be able to take your character into the equation and pay a premium beyond what already is a spectacular rack box. Take a look and hopefully you have more amazing packs beyond the Rice in the box. I don't see any monetary ramifications of you doing this.

-Nathanael
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Look at each pack top and bottom and then put the packs back in the same order that they were inside the box.

Then once you know what is in there, decide what to do. >>

I agree with this sage advice.

Sadly, no one will believe you if you ever try to sell and say it was 'unsearched'
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Why would you even try to sell the box as unsearched. I'd sell the box as having a Rice showing rack which is way more valuable.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    How "rare" is 1986 Topps FB wax at this point?

If it's not all that rare then you may as well have a little fun with it.

Dave
  • Im sure dpeck would like like the pack laying next to the Rice.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

• << <i>Look at each pack top and bottom and then put the packs back in the same order that they were inside the box.

I've heard a lot of great comments but I must admit that this one did make me chuckle! A number of you have commented about there being no more monetary value to leaving it untouched and I absolutely agree. I could never prove that the box is unsearched. It's just my word just as I took the original owners word about it being unopened. Again, if it was about money I would be foolish not to capitalize on any star power front or back. My question is more would you want to know what's there or do you keep it closed and let your mind wonder.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Im sure dpeck would like like the pack laying next to the Rice. >>

Very observant - Steve McMichael.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Doug ... regarding the Rice:
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

that is an awesome rack and the Rice is not bad either.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Doug ... regarding the Rice:
    image >>

I think he is saying 'open up that rack!'. image
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO, I see the issue as "do I give in to the tempation." While it would be nice to see the other cards, I have kept myself from looking for 15 years. If I look now, all the fun is gone.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

• << <i>

<< <i>Look at each pack top and bottom and then put the packs back in the same order that they were inside the box.

I've heard a lot of great comments but I must admit that this one did make me chuckle! A number of you have commented about there being no more monetary value to leaving it untouched and I absolutely agree. I could never prove that the box is unsearched. It's just my word just as I took the original owners word about it being unopened. Again, if it was about money I would be foolish not to capitalize on any star power front or back. My question is more would you want to know what's there or do you keep it closed and let your mind wonder. >>

Wanting to know is part of collecting, if you don't care about knowing then you have to call it hording!!
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    take a peak

• << <i>Wanting to know is part of collecting, if you don't care about knowing then you have to call it hording!!

<< <i>

Valid point. But I did open the box 15 years ago to look. If it meant nothing I would have just put it on the shelf. Saw the Rice and said this is a great box with a nice rack (I'LL CALL IT NICE BECAUSE I DON'T THINK ANY RACK COMPARES WITH THE PIC DOUG POSTED!). The temptation to search the box has always been there but there is a certain amount of intrigue in not knowing. It seems that the majority here agree with my son and would search it if it was their box.
  • Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    Leave it alone, then search it. OR Search it then leave it alone.

Either way.

Dave
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Unless there are stars showing, the racks are only worth about $40 each. I would search them, identify any valuable racks, and store them safely.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since $ is not the issue, do whatever gives you the most pleasure. If money is removed from the equation, then isn't pleasure the key reason people collect? Sounds like something fun to do with your son.

Enjoy!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    do what Tommy does with his boxes.

open 'em up.

grade a bunch of stuff no one in their right mind would bother grading, then get back hundreds of high population, high grade PSA slabs and subject yourself to the ridicule and speculation of forum members who swear they were right when they told you not to open them.

then, do a huge sell-off, make money and wag your finger knowingly. image